Talk

Advanced search

Why are so many clothes made out of Viscose??

(8 Posts)
u32ng Fri 26-Jun-15 13:30:34

I've noticed recently quite a few clothes I've been looking at are made up of a good chunk of viscose.

My experience of viscose is that it just shrinks in the wash even on a seemly gentle wash hmm

I almost bought a dress in the Hobbs sale a while ago - until I saw it had viscose in it.

Picachew Fri 26-Jun-15 13:39:58

I like it. I suspect it's cheaper than cotton which is why it's used so much.

Greengardenpixie Fri 26-Jun-15 16:58:31

I like it too. Its got a lovely feel to it. Usually when you iron it, it regains its size. Some things do get a bit smaller though, which is annoying. It is quite a cool and comfortable material.

Greengardenpixie Fri 26-Jun-15 17:00:17

Also think they use it because it hangs better than cotton for certain styles. My question would be, why on earth are dresses dry clean! I never ever buy dry clean dresses or blouses.

AuntieStella Fri 26-Jun-15 17:17:57

I've never had any difficulty after washing it. Is there perhaps a link to the weight/weave of various viscoses?

It's fairly cheap, and started life as trees (I think, some plant anyhow) so good for those who don't get on with the polyesters and related fabrics. Or just don't want to use up non-renewables for fabrics.

ouryve Fri 26-Jun-15 17:18:55

Because it's dirt cheap without having quite the sweatiness of polyester.

butterfly133 Fri 26-Jun-15 17:22:40

ah, this is exactly why I posted a query about it whether or not it was sweaty! Everything I see that I like is made of it too! I have bought a viscose top, I didn't know I'd have to worry about it shrinking. Eek. hope it doesn't.

YesThisIsMe Fri 26-Jun-15 17:24:31

Cotton is horrendously bad for the environment. Even organic cotton is iffy because of its water use. Viscose is a much better bet. I don't find it shrinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now