Talk

Advanced search

What makes a wavy bob wavy?

(9 Posts)
ThreeFrazzledFandangos Thu 25-Jun-15 23:45:36

My long hair is a big dry and meh.

I'm considering a long wavy bob a la Anne Hathaway but was wondering how you get the waves if your hair isn't naturally wavy?

Is it the good old GHD wave or do you use a wide barrelled tong and let it drop?

If you have a similar style how do you do it?

And will the bob just sit on my shoulders and do its own thing and irritate me massively til I grow it out?

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 26-Jun-15 10:18:00

Bump.

ThursdayLast Fri 26-Jun-15 10:21:40

I prefer to wear my hair in a style like this - but am too lazy to have it cut often enough to maintain it grin

I have naturally messy wavy hair, but it doesnt dry nicely so I use my ghds to give it a bit of shape and body.

stripytees Fri 26-Jun-15 10:45:51

I use straighteners to create the waves, my hair is naturally straight. My hair is much shorter than that, though, it doesn't come anywhere near my shoulders.

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 26-Jun-15 10:48:13

Any good links/advice as to how to use straighteners to create waves?

Whathaveilost Fri 26-Jun-15 10:52:07

I just use my regular GHDs.
This is how I do mine:
Have the straighter length ways instead of width. ( pointing downwards!)
For each section wrap the hair the opposite direction. Eg first section wrap clock wise, next anti clockwise.

When done leave for a few minutes before gently breaking up with a wide tooth comb.

There a tutorials on YouTube search with words like 'wavy hair with straightners'

flux500 Fri 26-Jun-15 12:34:38

I have a curling wand and curl only the bottom half of my hair. My hair is collar bone length. hair is wrapped around like a stretched spiral rather than being squashed up. I also do one clockwise and then one anti.

I also use straighteners too but I find the results with the straighteners inconsistent whereas with the wand I get a great result every time and I am quick at it now smile

After each section I don't touch it til it's all cold and then run my fingers through it or brush it.

If you use the wand and always curl towards the face and brush through then the waves all sit together and this can look really nice on dark shiny hair (Mine is neither dark nor shiny unfortunately!)

ThreeFrazzledFandangos Fri 26-Jun-15 14:54:40

Thank you all very much, I am usually a wimp when it comes to haircuts but for the first time in my life I may actually go and have a big lump chipped off!

I have GHDs already so I'll practice the waves to see if I think I'd manage it before I go for the chop!

5446 Fri 26-Jun-15 16:07:31

I do it the exact same way as WhathaveIlost after spraying heat protector and salt spray for texture.

Lasts me two days down, two days up and wash on the fifth day.

Google/Youtube Lived-in hair for more tips - it's the same guy who does Anne Hathaway's hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now