Talk

Advanced search

Starting again with make up

(8 Posts)
DinoSnores Thu 25-Jun-15 20:57:07

I need someone to sit me down and sort out my make up from scratch. I'm now mid-30s and what I cobbled together as a teenager probably the best!

Which make up counter would be best?

I don't want to end up orange, looking as if I have a load of make up on as so many of the make up counter assistants in John Lewis do, but want to look fresh and if I haven't been up 3 or 4 times in the night!

Thanks for any advice!

Kennington Thu 25-Jun-15 21:01:43

The clarins counter is nice, also bourjois
And a cream face illuminator
I only got into make up a couple of years ago and it has made such a big difference
Lisa Eldridge is good at very very natural easy looks

Kundry Thu 25-Jun-15 21:03:30

Second Lisa Eldridge - she has loads of lovely natural but stunning looks and makes it so easy to follow.

If you want to pick just one counter I'd go Laura Mercier.

Coastingit Thu 25-Jun-15 21:14:25

I know you want to just go to one counter and get it all sorted in one shebang, but really you will get much better products if you shop around.

Foundation is the most important so maybe post your skin type and desired coverage / effect and we can advise foundations to try? And never buy straight after a makeover, walk around the dept store and look in mirrors, and go outside and see it in natural light too to make sure. Most high end beauty counters will give you tester pots of foundations but if you're pushed for time, I find checking lots of mirrors in different lights is fine.

How much makeup do you want to be applying for day to day? What do you currently wear?

Coastingit Thu 25-Jun-15 21:17:44

For a 'not been up at all in the night, oh no' look, my top tips are a glycolic acid toner like Bravura calendula one used every couple of nights to keep skin smooth and glowing, and a glowy primer like Bourjois Happy Light or Dior do one, worn under a light dewy foundation like Bourjois Healthy Mix or YSL Teint Éclat. And cream blusher makes me look alive too - NARS are great.

DinoSnores Thu 25-Jun-15 22:32:29

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Been back and forth trying to put little children to bed! (To be fair, at night when he's home, DH does most of it!)

Thanks for the advice. Will have to give them a try.

coasting, I'd like to be doing a little make up each day but not too much. Skin tone pretty uneven (acne prone skin in my teens and 20s, settled down massively since my first pregnancy).

I'm currently using No 7 Protect & Perfect, but it goes very shiny, with some Clinique blusher. I'd normally wear mascara but my hayfever is terrible at the moment, so my eyes are really watery. (Arrive at school each day looking like I am just very emotional wink).

Leviticus Thu 25-Jun-15 22:56:50

I agree with the pp who said not to just use one counter. Do you have a Space NK near you?

midnightmoomoo Fri 26-Jun-15 07:25:46

I have hayfever too, so I can sympathise! What about getting your eyelashes dyed? That's what I usually do when I hit the point of not being able to wear mascara!
This year I started wearing navy mascara from no7 which is fab, not as harsh as black but more noticeable than brown. Even DH noticed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now