Talk

Advanced search

A bag like the Mulberry Antony but not mulberry?

(18 Posts)
Hottypotty Thu 25-Jun-15 18:37:22

I really like the mulberry Anthony-cross body, simple, high quality leather but slightly concerned that mulberrys are becoming a bit ubiquitous and there are lots of fakes around.
It's not the price tag so much (although an equivalent bag half the price would be great!) but the fact I don't want to shell out on an 'investment piece' when I will be embarassed to be seen with it in the near future!
Or am I wrong-is mulberry still a classic and desirable brand?

WutheringTights Thu 25-Jun-15 18:43:53

How about this. The strap isn't the same but I've always found R&B bags to be excellent quality and very long-lasting.

www.russellandbromley.co.uk/cross-body/lincoln/invt/713166

Hottypotty Thu 25-Jun-15 19:24:01

Thanks but not keen on the rounded edges or colour I'm afraid.

Melonfool Thu 25-Jun-15 19:31:33

I like it in black.

Hottypotty Thu 25-Jun-15 20:26:39

I quite like this one actually from fat face
But want something more 'special'

KittyBennett Thu 25-Jun-15 20:31:51

I don't think mylberry is a classic brand and it is everywhere. I have an antony messenger and it makes a great every day workhorse bag. It's most certainly not an investment piece I consider those to be Chanel or Hermes but it's popular enough that the resale value is there if you choose to sell it on in five or so years.

KittyBennett Thu 25-Jun-15 20:32:34

Mulberry obviously. Not Mylberry

Hottypotty Thu 25-Jun-15 20:37:43

I didn't really mean investment piece in the true sense-just that it would be a fairly big investment (for me) and I would want to be using it for many years.
I also like the Marc by Marc Jacobs Natasha

KittyBennett Thu 25-Jun-15 20:51:19

I have a mbmj hillier hobo and that's also another good bag. I think value for money wise the marc Jacobs bags are better. But I don't like a lot of the linings. I'm fussy!

Bakeoffcake Thu 25-Jun-15 21:00:26

www.marksandspencer.com/leather-cross-body-messenger-bag/p/p22246860

I've got this in the tan.

It's bigger than the Mulberry but that means you can get more in. I bought mine last Oct when I was going on holiday and is great for passports etc. I think it's really well made too.

Bakeoffcake Thu 25-Jun-15 21:02:29

Actually I've just realised mine doesn't have the 4 gold dots on the flap. They must have added them recently.

Hottypotty Thu 25-Jun-15 21:02:51

YY to the linings! I have a mini Natasha which is good for going out but I always cringe a bit when I open it!

Coastingit Thu 25-Jun-15 21:05:05

People on MN are weird about Mulberry. The Antony is a classic - if you love it now, you'll still love it in 5 years. Ubiquitous - maybe, but depends how much that bothers you, it doesn't me. I don't have an Antony but I do have a Mitzy crossbody which is a lot bulkier and heavier, and it's great quality and a real workhorse of a bag. I have had a MBMJ Natasha too and that is a fantastic bag but not the same 'classic' nature as the Antony so I couldn't really compare them tbh, I prefer the Natasha personally but I think you'd be more likely to go off it after a while, it might feel dated whereas the Antony would last. So I'd stick with the one you want.

KittyBennett Thu 25-Jun-15 22:31:30

I have the large antony. I think the small looks quite frumpy unless you are very petite and slim.

Carpaccio Thu 25-Jun-15 22:33:18

Mulberry generally is a classic brand. Many of their bags, including Antony are classic designs which are likely to stick around for years. Other designs from the brand will disappear after a season or two. My experience with Mulberry is that the quality isn't as good as it was which is frustrating as the prices have gone up quite a bit.

There are many fakes around, but I don't think that takes anything away from the real bags. I personally don't care if anyone thinks my bag is fake, and I don't think other people's fake bags make my bags embarrassing to use.

Personally, I find the Antony a bit annoying to use - it doesn't have the right shape for me, it is harder to close than other bags with the postman's lock and it seems to move to the side of my body when wearing it which drives me nuts. I much prefer the mini alexa as it just works better for me.

I like the bags from aunts&uncles - there are some in the same shape and size and the quality is good. They are cheaper than Mulberry as well, but you might struggle with finding the bags in local shops.

Hottypotty Thu 25-Jun-15 22:49:41

Oh I love the Alexa but it's out of my price range sad. Should I save up?

WutheringTights Sun 28-Jun-15 08:36:11

I've had the Marc Natasha a couple of years and it's holding up well. Downsides are that this summer I've noticed that everyone seems to have it, which has taken the shine off it a bit, the lining is getting really grubby around the zip and the opening is oddly small so it's sometimes tricky to get stuff in and out if the bag is fairly full.

WutheringTights Sun 28-Jun-15 08:38:37

A few years ago Russell and Bromley did an Alexa knock off that I bought and I still use it for work. Couldn't justify Mulberry prices for a work bag. Sadly they've stopped doing it as it's a lovely bag and great quality leather. I'd save up for the Alexa personally over the Marc Natasha as it's such a gorgeous bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now