Talk

Advanced search

East

(16 Posts)
SilverHawk Wed 24-Jun-15 18:38:31

Seems to be in administration but the website is still up and running.
What's going on?

Greengardenpixie Wed 24-Jun-15 18:51:35

Is it in administration? I had no idea...

ouryve Wed 24-Jun-15 19:02:18

Really? They have some lovely stuff, this summer, too.

SilverHawk Wed 24-Jun-15 19:03:25

I had a little shopping trip today and that is what it said on the window.

jasmine1979 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:24:33

It wouldn't surprise me. I used to love the place, but in the last few years the clothes have just become totally shapeless, baggy and unflattering. The colours also used to be vibrant and flattering and now they're generally quite drab. I do still love their accessories though.

SilverHawk Wed 24-Jun-15 19:42:19

I used to stock up on their lovely necklaces each year.
This year's clothes have been abysmal. There has been nothing to wear that is suitable for an occasion, everything is patterned. Yes, I know there is a 70s revival but even so.

jasmine1979 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:34:33

Found some info here.
www.wilmslow.co.uk/news/article/11784/womens-clothes-shop-closes-as-company-goes-into-administration

ppolly Wed 24-Jun-15 21:20:45

Oh my. I used to work in one their shops a few years ago. lovely company to work for, but not terribly surprised at the news.

SilverHawk Wed 24-Jun-15 22:10:17

The shop in Brighton has shut as well.

ishouldcocoa Wed 24-Jun-15 23:28:59

They completely changed their style when they brought out their spring stuff, and I wrote and told them that they'd lost me as a customer. I used to spend maybe a third of my clothing budget at East.

They wrote back with some anodyne standard email, and that was that.

Looks like girls like me nationwide have felt the same way.

Such a shame. I thought their stuff (prior to the Indian/ boho tat they're now selling) was just great.

RockMummy Thu 25-Jun-15 07:07:00

Feel sorry for the staff with the prospect of losing their jobs too.

mrsdavidbowie Thu 25-Jun-15 07:09:12

Not surprised.
Shapeless and frumpy.
Gap are in trouble too.

lavendersun Thu 25-Jun-15 07:12:40

Shame, it used to be one of my favourite shops for linen stuff and I always loved their artisan stuff. Their cotton lawn bias cut dresses were always lovely on me.

I haven't bought anything there for a year or two though. I often found their lengths too short for me and only bought when they were absolutely right.

I started making some of my own clothes again after a very long break about 18 months ago. Merchant and Mills patterns remind me a lot of the East styles.

nothingwittyhere Thu 25-Jun-15 10:39:14

The rest of that arcicle says that the business has been sold quickly and will continue:

A spokesperson from East said "Geoffrey Bouchier and Philip Duffy, Managing Directors at Duff & Phelps, Joint Administrators of East Limited, have announced the successful sale of the business and its assets.

"The deal preserves more than 550 jobs and 82 stores and concessions which will open as normal, supported by the website east.co.uk.

"East, one of the UK's most well-known contemporary women's fashion brands, will continue under the management of the current team.

"The acquisition of the business by East Lifestyle Limited for an undisclosed amount will see 19 stores and 5 concessions close with the immediate loss of 155 jobs.

"The sale follows a vigorous bidding process that included a number of Private Equity firms and secures a sustainable future for the brand."

East Lifestyle Limited, the purchaser, will also honour gift cards and returns.

Trickydecision Thu 25-Jun-15 12:19:59

It wouldn't surprise me. I used to love the place, but in the last few years the clothes have just become totally shapeless, baggy and unflattering. The colours also used to be vibrant and flattering and now they're generally quite drab.

Exactly, Jasmine. I would also add overpriced. I could always rely on finding at least one summer dress suitable for hot holidays, and a festive winter outfit, but recently there has been far less choice, too much frumpery and bagginess.

This summer I have only bought the linen dress in faded peacock colours, expecting it to be the same style as last year's version, but was very disappointed to discover the back pleats, which gave it a good shape and which were present in the website pic, were missing.(The picture has since been changed). I kept it because it was 30% off but not worth £95 full price.
This morning I was really pleased to see a new brightly coloured maxi dress and was all set to grab one tomorrow, but will the shop be open?

On the plus side, their stuff is really well made, last forever and their good designs and fabrics suit tallish 'mature' people like me. I shall miss it very much if it disappears.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Thu 25-Jun-15 12:37:03

don't say gap is in trouble, its dd's favourite shop and ive brought loads for both of us from there this year. dd is 9 and its really hard to find good tween clothing.

east im not surprised its always quiet in the local one and my mum who is 58 has moved onto east from per una as per una were getting too trendy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now