Which nightcream?

(10 Posts)
MissesandMuddles Wed 24-Jun-15 18:31:33

I've only quite recently implemented a regular skincare routine. Most of the products are new s&b recommendations but I was finishing up an old pot of garnier night cream. This is now mostly gone and I would love recommendations for a new one.

I'm 32 and have normal to oily skin.

Euphemia Wed 24-Jun-15 19:11:16

Garnier Miracle night cream - gorgeous!

Loula117 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:12:23

Origins Night-a-Mins is my favourite (I use regular but they do an oil-free version)

Pugthug Wed 24-Jun-15 19:16:58

Anything with 10% Glyolic acid. Like Olay Regenerist Night Repair Elixior.

Kundry Wed 24-Jun-15 20:49:31

What's the rest of your skincare routine like? If you are already using an acid and a serum your moisturiser should be the cheapest part of your routine. If you have oily skin then you may find you don't need one at all - they aren't mandatory grin

Personally (normal to oily skin) I find oil-based creams just make me really really oily and usually bring spots too. I really like Cerave but often don't bother with one.

Kennington Wed 24-Jun-15 21:28:17

Grapeeed oil is really fine and plumping. I just use a small amount though.

MissesandMuddles Thu 25-Jun-15 13:38:17

Skincare routine currently -

Evening:

Cleanse with micellar water
Cleanse with Naturally Radiant hot cloth cleanser
Tone with Garnier Fresh Refining toner

Morning:

Cleanse with hot water
Naturally Radiant day cream (that I'm thinking of changing when finished as don't feel it does much)

I don't use a serum but was looking at getting the Aldi Lacura one.

What's glyolic acid, what does it do?

Kundry Thu 25-Jun-15 20:55:01

So if you don't mind me commentating

am - you aren't cleansing, wash your face woman! Anything non-foaming, non-scrubby will do. Some oily people like me would avoid oily cleansers but others swear by it. Just using your hot cloth cleanser would do.

No acid toner - I'll get back to this grin

Day cream - only has SPF15 which is far far too little. You need SPF30 or over with UVA and UVB cover. You might find that a SPF is moisturising enough and you don't need a separate moisturiser.

pm - double cleansing, OK if you are happy with what you have

Toner - I can't find the ingredients of your toner on line which is amking me v suspicious that they aren't great. Essentially no toner without acid in it does much except clean off the last bits of makeup which you don't need as you are double cleansing anyway. The Garnier claims to 'purify, tone and tighten pores' - which is clearly bullshit. Pores are not doors! They don't open and close or tone or tighten hmm

For your toner to be useful it needs either AHA (glycolic or lactic acid) or BHA (salicylic acid). These are chemical exfoliants which gently exfoliate your skin, making it look fresher and healthier, evening out skin tone, getting rid of both dry flaky bits and clogged pores and smoothing out wrinkles. AHA is recommended for dry skin and BHA for oily skin as it's oil soluble so dissolves gunk in your pores and prevents breakouts.

A budget option for BHA is Clearasil fruit pads.

Night cream - really just has a simple job to moisturise and not cause breakouts or excess oiliness. Lots of Olay products contain ceramides (like the cerave) which form part of your skin barrier so help keep moisture in.

Serums are a whole other kettle of fish smile

MissesandMuddles Fri 26-Jun-15 09:24:48

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated.

AM - I thought by double cleansing before bed then a quick wash with hot water in the morning would be fine! If I use the Clearasil fruit pads to tone, could I use the pads to cleanse and tone in the morning? I've got a 3 year old, 1 year old and a baby due in 2 weeks so mornings can be a little harried!

Acid toner - ingredients of the current garnier one attached. It does have salicylic acid in it, however, it does have an overpowering alcohol smell and I don't love it so will plan to give clearasil pads a go.

Is it the Clearasil Vitamins & Extracts Cleansing Wipes? The Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Pads contain salicylic acid and seem easier to find, is there any benefit of the fruit ones over these?

Day cream - A quick google found:

www.boots.com/en/Boots-Time-Delay-Wrinkle-Reduce-Anti-Ageing-Day-Cream-Moisturiser-SPF30-50ml_1324886/

www.thebodyshop.co.uk/shop-by-range/vitamin-c/vitamin-c-daily-moisturiser-spf30.aspx

Or, I found Loreal Revitalift and this also contains salicylic acid so would this do the job of both toner and moisturiser? Although it sounds like it might be a bit thick and better for dry skin? I think my skin is mostly normal and sometimes a little but oily around my nose.

Night cream - I was on the brink of buying the Olay Regenerist Night Repair Elixior recommended above, but from what you say glycolic acid may not be what I need? It also doesn't list ceramides in the ingredients, or would they be listed under individual names and therefore not recognisable as ceramides?

Serums - without lifting the lid too high, would the aldi one be a good place to start?

Sorry for all the questions... that'll teach you to commentate! ��

Pugthug Fri 26-Jun-15 22:42:25

Yes I have dry skin so the glycolics have worked wonders for my skin. You need to read through The Amazing Faces theads I have just read through them it has startaken me days.grin Kundry you are a legend and need your own blog. You are far better than CH. I am about to start 0.25 Retin A and follow with that ceramide cream. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now