Talk

Advanced search

Temporary purple hair dye

(14 Posts)
Slimmerforsummer Wed 24-Jun-15 16:53:21

My 12 year old would love purple hair for over the summer.
Can you recommend any brands of temporary colours?

Slimmerforsummer Wed 24-Jun-15 16:53:49

Her hair is medium brown if that makes a difference!

Pumpkinette Wed 24-Jun-15 17:00:08

Manic panic or crazy colour do 8 wash dyes. It won't be as bright as it shows on the colour chart as you need bleached hair to get the really vibrant shades but it will give her hair a noticeable purple tint. It is quite messy to apply and a lot comes out in the shower when you wash the hair but it should keep your 12 year old happy. It's about £5 a tub.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 24-Jun-15 17:00:34

If her hair is medium brown, she would have to bleach it first to get a nice purple colour. The colour isn't permanent but the bleach is.

Can't remember the brand - but the stuff they sell in Boots is ok.

Slimmerforsummer Wed 24-Jun-15 17:01:43

Fab smile
Completely clueless so appreciate your help

Slimmerforsummer Wed 24-Jun-15 17:04:27

Mrs we considered just doing the ends like a dip dye ( then cut them out in August) but I'm too nervous, plus local salons won't dye her hair as she's too young so semi permanent is only option this year.

Pumpkinette Wed 24-Jun-15 18:08:02

Goggle image 'manic panic purple over medium brown hair' and you will see the sort of result she can get without bleaching.

daftyburd Wed 24-Jun-15 18:29:22

There are tutorials on YouTube on how to dye brown hair purple. It will only show well in sunlight though. My hair is bleached and I use Manic Panic Purple Haze Amplified. I'm not sure how well it would work on unbleached hair. What about a flash of colour?

daftyburd Wed 24-Jun-15 18:30:40

That's not me it was just an idea for you.

Slimmerforsummer Wed 24-Jun-15 19:05:45

It's maybe brighter than we were thinking ( or at least more than I was!). I suggested starting with the hair at the base of her neck only, kinda like the under layer. It means it will be most visible when her hair is up. Then after a day or two if she's happy we could do the rest.
I'm happy to let her have free-ish rein as long as it washes out! Would do a smaller stand test first of course.

Jaeme Thu 25-Jun-15 03:11:56

Fudge paintbox

They have a few purple shades and there's a white you can mix it with to lighten it up. Vegetable based so it doesn't cause any damage to the hair.

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Thu 25-Jun-15 09:46:17

Another vote for fudge. Fab colours.

CMOTDibbler Thu 25-Jun-15 09:51:19

I'd use Manic Panic Amplified. Their stuff is great and leaves your hair feeling great - I use the Virgin Snow on my grey hair to knock out any orange tone from my remaining brown hair, and it really conditions it.

chezbot Fri 26-Jun-15 18:10:21

Bleach London Bruised violet.My DD has one of their colours every school holiday and they wash out easily enough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now