Talk

Advanced search

Going back on the pill to treat acne?

(2 Posts)
Rubylee87 Tue 23-Jun-15 18:57:09

Since stopping the pill over a year ago, I've had recurrent cystic acne on my chin. I've tried lots of expensive face creams, gone to the GP, taken Zineryt etc with no effect. I asked to be referred to a dermatologist because they are so painful and unsightly but the GP refused, saying that I'd 'grow out of it' (which I could understand if I was in my teens but I'm in my late 20s.)

So I've got another prescription for my old pill as that's the only thing that gives me clear skin. I had some skin issues as a teenager and started taking the pill at 16 and never suffered with spots again until now.

I'm just unsure about whether to go back on it. The reason I stopped it in the first place was because I read a lot of articles saying it messes up the body's natural hormonal chemistry and can cause lots of underlying issues if used long term. Is it worth going back on the pill get rid of monthly cystic acne?

AWimbaWay Tue 23-Jun-15 21:08:34

I had the same issues, I went back on the pill until my skin cleared but was using Benzoyl Peroxide at the same time. I'm now back off the pill and keep on top of it just with the Benzoyl Peroxide. You can buy Quinoderm over the counter at boots, it contains Benzoyl Peroxide, might be worth a try? It's the only thing that has helped me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now