Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

getting colours done

(20 Posts)
RavioliOnToast Tue 23-Jun-15 12:32:07

is it really worth it? I'm 22 and would love a wardrobe where everything matched, I also think if I get it done soon (was thinking as an Xmas present) it'll save me a lot of fuckups over the next forty years.

where is best to go, heard JL do them? have I made this up? grin

Go to HOC. Worth it imo.

Choose consultant carefully.

RavioliOnToast Tue 23-Jun-15 13:17:03

will there be several consultants per area? or pretty much one per area?

Fatstacks Tue 23-Jun-15 13:21:53

I had mine done.
I'm naturally style challenged and have a unique colour blindness which means I see stripes as better than everything grin

I just wanted advice on how to buy things that will suit me and not all black.

I loved it and try my best to follow, I'm considering getting the style consultancy for Christmas but I want my semi permanent liner changing too so can't decide.

Go for it I had HoC.

NeitherHereOrThere Tue 23-Jun-15 15:09:01

House of Colour - definitely worth it.

RavioliOnToast Tue 23-Jun-15 16:05:24

does anyone have prices? I've looked on the website and can't really see anything

thehumanjam Tue 23-Jun-15 16:11:43

I've diagnosed myself as an Autumn. I used to want to be analysed but it's too expensive. The other thing that puts me off is some of the consultants look quite dated and overdone.

Picachew Tue 23-Jun-15 16:41:02

I diagnosed myself as an autumn and years and tears later I'm officially a sultry winter.

It's about £110?

thehumanjam Tue 23-Jun-15 17:29:49

Picachew, which celeb would you say you most resemble colour wise? I've not heard of sultry winter and wonder if I'm one.

Picachew Tue 23-Jun-15 17:41:32

I have dark brown hair and really dark brown eyes. I have quite pale skin which gives a high contrast. I look ok in the winter navy, greys, cobalt and fuchsia colours but proper midnight blue indigo and darkest pine green look amazing next to my face. I hardly ever wear them for that reason as they scare me a bit, I look very intense in them.

I suit the deepest of the winter colours which is why I thought I was autumn but there's not an ounce of warm in me.

I don't think I look like anyone famous, I'd be a deep winter in certain circles I guess.

Topcat67 Tue 23-Jun-15 17:43:25

My female boss had her colours done, and sticks to it religiously. Unfortunately I think she had a naff consultant and got it wrong, as she always looks so washed out and bland! If you do it, take the advice in moderation, ask friends about the colours that are suggested and don't live too stringently by it.

RavioliOnToast Tue 23-Jun-15 18:56:08

does it go.off natural hair colour? just I'm forever going different colours, if it goes from the dyed colour mine will always be a different season hmm

StayGoldPonyBoy Tue 23-Jun-15 18:58:17

Can someone explain to me what you get for your £110? I always thought it was just someone in a department store going 'You are a spring, wear more green' and didn't even realise you had to pay!

yomellamoHelly Tue 23-Jun-15 19:01:35

It'll save you a fortune on clothes shopping as you then vet everything in the shop according to whether the colour'll suit before you consider whether you like the item of clothing or not. So I'd say go for it!

With HOC I was there with about for others for about five or six hours. We got lunch etc. Individual dealings. A look within the selected seasons at how the different colours worked for each individual. And a colour wallet.

It is worth. But try and make sure that you can relate to your consultant. Most are good but some of them may not have the same fashion sense as you.

squizita Tue 23-Jun-15 19:20:19

My mum had it done and mentioned a lot if the consultation is perhaps better for someone her age than mine iyswim. But that might just have been her lady!

I have similar colours and it turned out she's ok with a whole load, though best with Autumn. I must admit I thought it pretty obvious but she was amazed! She'd never worn aqua or coral before for example, but I often do.

iloveoz Tue 23-Jun-15 19:21:44

Makes shopping far easier and you get to know what suits I realized Blue undertones are not for me good luck

Picachew Tue 23-Jun-15 19:34:44

You get your hair covered if it's dyed and wear no make up. it's very much about eyes and skin tone.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Tue 23-Jun-15 19:44:23

If you're good with colour already then it's probably less helpful. Mine confirmed a lot of what I already knew in terms of colours that suit me. The style part of the day was more useful, in terms of getting me out of bad habits (buying basically the same thing in 15 slight variations for example) and giving me more clothes buying confidence.

Definitely choose a consultant who is as close to your age as possible, I think it helps. Preferably one who is a Summer (as it's supposed to be the hardest season to pick so if they are one they're less likely to mis-type you as a Winter --bitter experience--)!

Probably the easiest way to tell yourself without the consultation is by the season when you buy most of your clothes, because retailers do seem to sort of follow the seasonal colours. I'm a summer and lots of the stock in at the moment is perfect for me. Spring and Autumn on the other hand are always dire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now