Talk

Advanced search

Please help, flattering swimwear

(15 Posts)
alongcamespiders Tue 23-Jun-15 09:02:00

Hi y'all, following on from my weekend whinge fest I would now like help to find swimming costume and two piece to flatter my middle aged body...
I'm five feet tall and weigh 9.5 stone. I'm a funny shape so between ten and twelve on to and twelve to fourteen bottom.
I have very broad shoulders, big ole arms, saggy post breast feeding 34c boobs and a lot of water retention so very bloated tum with a bit of an apron hangdown.
I have a very big bum and chunky thighs. I have scoliosis and various muscular probs so am very well developed in some areas where I've compensated for weakness in others, hence big shoulders bum and calves and completely flabby sad tummy.
I'm not painting a very good picture but I know with careful dressing I can look ok, for example I have a primark halter neck black bikini which is quite flattering, high waste and triangle style bra but it's old and the bra is a little smal on the boobs but I can't find similar in there now. I also have a clue of swimming costumes which look nice but I've put on Wight so one is tight around back bra line and the other is super baggy due to all the chlorine, I swim a lot.
So there we go, challenge on! I'm not afraid of colour, had my colours done and am apparently an autumn but don't want anything too bright on my huge arse.
Thanks in anticipation.

Dudess Tue 23-Jun-15 23:15:40

Hoya, have you tried a skirted one-piece? M&S and Debenhams have a couple of good ones. I'd always suggest a black or navy background, although as you say Autumn colours, maybe red/orange would look better on you.

prettywhiteguitar Wed 24-Jun-15 09:52:53

Lovely swimsuits in monsoon at the moment but maybe more for hols than everyday swimming. Speedo do some great stuff but I live near the outlet so you maybe need to order online. The bikinis and swimsuits have the proper proportions though and stay on your bum I've found.

No twanging your knickers when you get out of the pool !

TriJo Wed 24-Jun-15 10:35:52

Consider a vintage-style two piece with high waisted bottoms?

alongcamespiders Wed 24-Jun-15 22:52:32

Thanks guys really appreciate the input and ideas. I will try and check them all out. I remember the last couple of years the Toast sale swimwear and saw some bits I loved but left it too late and missed out, will look out for them again.
Where do you find vintage style two pieces?
I like one piece for proper swimming but two piece for beach/sunbathing as do like to maximise my tan opportunity !

TriJo Wed 24-Jun-15 23:43:15

Try Asos - they seem to have quite a few at the moment!

Lweji Wed 24-Jun-15 23:56:00

As per the bikini you already have, something like this?

Or these

Another

Or a balcony style, maybe more supportive.

alongcamespiders Fri 26-Jun-15 00:05:42

Wow Lweji thank you. I love the curvy Kate one and the Freya stripey ones.really nice, I will look in more detail in the day time but they're right up my street.
Thanks as well TriJo, I will check ASos, I do forget about them but had swimwear from them in the past.

specialsubject Fri 26-Jun-15 13:02:53

sports direct do this ultra-cheapie which is suitable for real swimming, it just stays on and you don't need to worry about it disappearing where it shouldn't or showing what it shouldn't. Looks good on everyone, I think.

www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-boyleg-swimsuit-ladies-354154

yellowcurtains Fri 26-Jun-15 13:10:11

You sound v similar build to me. I have one of the bidden fifties style halter neck bathing suits. I wasn't sure when ordering, as I'm 32E but I have Berenice pleasantly surprised. All the reviews on their site said they were short in the body but that was ideal- its a really good fit. Pricey but usually codes floating around in here and I'll get another come sale time. Mine is brown (with polka dots) so good for autumns.

yellowcurtains Sat 27-Jun-15 00:40:42

That would be Boden... like this one but without the ruffles.

alongcamespiders Sun 28-Jun-15 19:27:21

Thanks so much specialsubject and yellowcurtains, I will peruse both these. I had a Boden one years ago, it was pretty good.

yellowcurtains Sun 28-Jun-15 21:40:47

This is what mine is like I think I got it last year smile

alongcamespiders Mon 29-Jun-15 08:09:18

Wow yellowcurtains, you preempted my next move! Thanks so much, wish me luck ��

yellowcurtains Mon 29-Jun-15 20:57:32

grin Good luck! There are quite a few on there I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now