Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Will salon colour really avoid my hair looking orange?

(22 Posts)
JenniMoo Tue 23-Jun-15 06:47:25

I've been dyeing my hair, as infrequently as possible, the last year to cover up a few greys and some old highlights. I started with permanent but the last couple of times (6 months) I've used a semi permanent. However, despite using a 'light brown' it soon fades to orange, and doesn't wash out. I have really obvious roots.
I asked my hairdresser last week and was told that a salon colour would cover it all. Also, I was recommended a semi-permanent colour over permanent, and assured I wouldn't get obvious roots...
Was this sales talk or is it worth the £30 to get my hair 'permanently' evened out? hmm

BigGreenOlives Tue 23-Jun-15 06:57:43

If you leave it a long time the 'blue' in the brown fades out & you are left with orange. If you protect your hair from the sun & chlorine (get it wet before you swim so it is less porous) the colour will last better.

PetiteBateau Tue 23-Jun-15 08:39:55

I tried salon hair colouring for this reason & ended up looking no better than when I use a home dye

DahliaBloom Tue 23-Jun-15 08:52:01

Same here. Always ended up orange.

Picachew Tue 23-Jun-15 08:55:15

My salon hair always fades to orange too. It really gets me down sad

PetiteBateau Tue 23-Jun-15 09:19:58

Mine looked like a bumblebee after the salon did it

carrie74 Tue 23-Jun-15 11:30:59

Mine lasts a bit longer before going orange than when I was doing it at home, and my hairdresser uses good mix of ash colours which helps as well.

You can also try using Black Malva conditioner from Aveda - brings out the ash again.

SevenEleven Tue 23-Jun-15 13:58:19

My hair always fades orange when I use a home dye, so I used a mobile hairdresser for a while and it was the same. It got really bad with my hair taking on more and more warm tones each time it faded out so I plumped for a salon and she gave me more ash tones (which I had been asking mobile hairdresser for for the past 2 years!) and I am due to have my roots retouched next week and my hair is still the same lovely colour it was when I left the salon! Well worth the money, in my opinion.

Picachew Tue 23-Jun-15 14:03:24

Seven, which hair dye brand does your salon use? Mine is Redken Chromatic and it fades quite a bit.

Steadycampaign Tue 23-Jun-15 14:06:44

I am currently channelling Cocoa the Clown by mistake sad

Can't tolerate being in a salon for length of time it takes to faddle about with high/low lights though so just going for another pkt. The colour build up isn't good though.

[Makes mental note about ash colours for future]

SevenEleven Tue 23-Jun-15 14:58:02

Picachew - I'm not sure as only been to this new salon once. My mobile hairdresser bought her dyes from a hairdresser's warehouse-type shop, but they weren't any well-known brand I don't think. I did wonder if her dyes just didn't suit my hair as it would look nice for a week or so then fade to orange. The dye used by this new hairdresser is far better. I'll have a look when I am there next week!

NeitherHereOrThere Tue 23-Jun-15 15:08:03

Second the advice to use Black Malva (or Silver if you are blonde).

JenniMoo Tue 23-Jun-15 17:36:33

Thanks for replies. So would it help to start using the black malva now, and avoid recolouring altogether so it can grow out? Or would I be best off getting it coloured again then using the stuff?

NeitherHereOrThere Tue 23-Jun-15 21:02:40

Try using the conditioner now - I use it once a week or so, usually a few weeks after a dye job as thats when my hair colour starts to go a bit red.

JenniMoo Wed 24-Jun-15 06:21:53

I've ordered the conditioner so will give it a go first. Perhaps I can avoid any more colouring for the time being and let some fit grow out!

Picachew Wed 24-Jun-15 09:23:45

Black Malva won't touch the greys so you may still need to colour it. I used it a while ago but got fed up with purple grouting!

NeitherHereOrThere Wed 24-Jun-15 09:47:44

Yes the malva won't cover greys, but may extend the life of the hair dye so that roots aren't too obvious.

JenniMoo Wed 24-Jun-15 09:56:33

The grey is mostly on the sides, and can't be seen with my new fringe, so I reckon I'll be ok with that smile

JenniMoo Mon 06-Jul-15 06:16:28

Thanks for the recommendation. The Malva conditioner has done a great job and the orange has now blended into the roots. Even DH said my hair looks good!
I plan to try and avoid dying it for a good while to let the worst of it grow out.

chaiselounger Mon 06-Jul-15 07:09:56

Makes notes to get done black Malva.

JenniMoo Mon 06-Jul-15 07:51:06

I put it on my hair dry and left for an hour the first time. I've since washed and used it as a conditioner and hair is still not orange.

It's really messy though so be careful!

JenniMoo Mon 10-Aug-15 14:52:17

An update: really happy with the black malva, thank you to those who suggested it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: