Talk

Advanced search

What are the best "normal" but gentle semi permanet, no ammonia, non-lightening hair dyes?

(10 Posts)
AbandonShark Mon 22-Jun-15 22:48:37

I have a head full of mouse that is a mix of light brown and grey (both natural) with blonder ends as a result of having had highlights a while ago that I'm trying to grow out.

Can't stand being mousy with odd patches of grey, and I really want to go redder, it makes me look less zombie-ish smile

I've been looking at Nice n' Easy's no ammonia range, and L'oreal Casting Creme Gloss. I really want something that doesn't strip colour at all, definitely doesn't make it lighter and is relatively kind to my hair.

Does anyone use either of those with good results? Or is there anything else around the £5-10 mark you'd recommend?

RavioliOnToast Tue 23-Jun-15 06:32:18

I had a full head of blonde yesterday but used superdrug own mahogany colour, it's turned out fab. It was £2.49 too, lasts 28 washes. It's the first time I've used this brand but so far, I like it. if you want a named one, I recommend the no ammonia nice and easy grin

Nezzy1981 Tue 23-Jun-15 07:59:13

I can highly recommend L'OREAL casting that also lasts 28 washes.
I have hair down to my backside and just need 1 bottle of this, it covers my greys and when rinsed out I can drag my tangle teezer through the knots easily as the conditioner that comes with it is very moisturising.
Costs about £6.99 and plenty of shades to choose from I use black cherry and I have nearly black with streaks of grey at the front.

VeganCow Tue 23-Jun-15 08:46:24

I can also recommend Superdrug. Their semi permanent Creme Sensations range is great, cheap, and not tested on animals. In fact nothing made by Superdrug is animal tested and they have the BUAV seal of approval too.
They also do a range called Colour Episode that has a nice colour called rich red. See semi permanent hair colours

LMGTFY Tue 23-Jun-15 09:00:51

I've used both with great success but stick with the nice n easy now as l'oreal makes my hair crazily static! L'oreal have more colour options but I find nice n easy leaves my hair so glossy.

Gatekeeper Tue 23-Jun-15 09:06:18

I found that with the Castings and Superdrug (and any semi permanents that last upt to 28 washes) is that they contain peroxide which , as the colour faded showed that it had lightened my hair slightly

The best I have found is Daniel Field Watercolours which didn't do this

Wordylicious Tue 23-Jun-15 09:12:31

I was just going to come on and say Daniel Field.

IsadoraQuagmire Tue 23-Jun-15 11:48:54

I just came on to agree with Gatekeeper in that anything that says "up to 28 washes" will have peroxide in it (or in the case of Daniel Field, apparently another ingredient that substitutes for peroxide)
They're all labelled semi permanent, but in fact these are demi permanent.
A true semi will be labelled something like "up to 8 washes"

A good one is Wella Color Fresh, but it's not sold in Boots/Superdrug.
Another good range is Adore. They do natural colors as well as blue/green/purple etc.

I know this because I've been growing out henna, so dyeing my hair with this kind of dye to disguise the growing out process.

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Tue 23-Jun-15 11:52:24

Funny. The loreal castings makes my hair static too. It looks super shiny bit it's makes my hair so static I can't use it anymore.

burnishedsilver Tue 23-Jun-15 12:06:52

I have a lot of problems with static after salon colours. I find the nice n easy 24 wash semi colour really suits my hair. It leaves it soft and shiney. I'm currently using it to cover badly done highlights. I would have thought that the 8 wash version would be a good starting point for you abandon but its not as good at covering grey.

Casting creme gloss didn't work out as well for me. It seemed harsher and closer to a permanent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now