Talk

Advanced search

Viscose

(26 Posts)
butterfly133 Mon 22-Jun-15 20:18:51

I wonder if MNers can advise me on something. I never buy anything in viscose because I thought it was a bit like nylon and would be sweaty. My office is bizarrely hot all the time. But my sis said no, it's breathe-able and google says the same. So maybe I am remembering wrong from when I last bought it years ago. I do see stuff I like in viscose. What do MN-ers think, do you overheat in it? Thanks.

addictedtosugar Mon 22-Jun-15 21:12:06

Try one. I quite like it, and dislike nylon/polyester etc.

Kennington Mon 22-Jun-15 21:28:01

Viscose is a natural- ish fibres de from cellulose. It should absorb water and sweat in a similar way to cotton as it is hydrophilic unlike nylon that repels water. It needs to be treated like silk though as it is delicate.

FranBrodie Mon 22-Jun-15 21:29:43

It's lovely for daytime, really soft and hangs heavily, but I find it a bit sweaty as pyjamas.

Picachew Mon 22-Jun-15 21:31:25

I wouldn't hesitate to buy viscose. It's a cellulose starch I think.

butterfly133 Mon 22-Jun-15 21:50:04

I must have got my fabrics in a muddle! Thank you.

DorothyGherkins Mon 22-Jun-15 21:53:50

I never used to buy it as some of them were terribly creasy, and used to look like a ragbag. I think the quality of it has improved enormously over the last few years - I would never contemplate buying anything made of viscose at one point, but now I have a few pieces in my wardrobe.

DorothyGherkins Mon 22-Jun-15 21:54:31

And to get back to the point - no I don't feel sweaty in it. I cant wear polyester or nylon stuff either.

cerealqueen Mon 22-Jun-15 22:10:52

Viscose jersey is lovely, especially in a dress or skirt. Tends not to bobble too.

WanderWomble Mon 22-Jun-15 22:16:16

I can't stand the feel of nylon or polyester, but wear viscose without a problem. It's lovely and soft without feeling slick.

snowaccidentprone Mon 22-Jun-15 22:24:16

I think it also depends on the 'weight' of it. More expensive viscose wears well, and feels nice, whereas some cheaper viscose doesn't feel particularly nice.

I get very hot, but I'm usually ok with viscose.

butterfly133 Mon 22-Jun-15 22:35:32

Viscose jersey is quite clingy though isn't it? Or have I got that wrong too (entirely possible).

Behooven Mon 22-Jun-15 22:41:13

I think it sits really nicely and feels lovely on.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 23-Jun-15 05:52:33

I hate the feel of viscose and never buy anything made of it. The jersey stuff isn't quite so offensive to me [dramatic] but I really dislike the woven type that you think at first glance is cotton.

But I agree it doesn't make you sweaty - I just don't like the feel of it really.

faustina Tue 23-Jun-15 06:28:19

I love viscose jersey - I think the amount of cling depends on the percentage of lycra/elastane. The other brilliant thing about viscose jersey is you always get a wonderful black which doesn't fade ever, unlike cotton.

Sgtmajormummy Tue 23-Jun-15 07:16:54

Yes, viscose is wood fibre that is treated so it acts like cotton. It's quite environmentally friendly (lower pesticide use and fewer natural resources) so you can wear it with pride!

Sgtmajormummy Tue 23-Jun-15 07:21:11

Just remembered (not very seasonal, but worth bearing in mind). Viyella brand fabric is a mixture of wool and viscose. I can think of nothing better for non-sweaty winter clothes!

diggerdigsdogs Tue 23-Jun-15 07:24:20

OP I thought the same!

nuttybananas Tue 23-Jun-15 07:27:17

I've noticed much more viscose jersey tops and dresses this year - i guess the price of this is now lower than cotton. I've bought a top to see how well it wears and washes - so far so good and it does feel softer than cotton...

Picachew Tue 23-Jun-15 08:51:48

Bamboo is also a new fabric to me, it feels like a jersey too.

Sgtmajormummy Tue 23-Jun-15 09:07:46

Bamboo bath towels are lovely! They dry you really well and have a sheen to them that you don't get with cotton.
Sorry OP, I'm a fabric geek. Must be something to do with my DF developing spinning/ weaving machines when I was a kid. grin
I'll leave you in peace, now...

Behooven Tue 23-Jun-15 09:22:52

I haven't seen bamboo clothing, where is it sold?
Very sustainable I'd imagine.

Picachew Tue 23-Jun-15 09:33:19

I bought a dress from Seasalt last year made from bamboo.

butterfly133 Tue 23-Jun-15 14:45:17

bamboo? What does that feel like in a piece of clothing?

Picachew Tue 23-Jun-15 16:19:21

It feels like super soft Jersey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now