Talk

Advanced search

Hopeless shopper has 3 days to find wedding guest dress. Please help!

(12 Posts)
meerschweinchen Mon 22-Jun-15 20:09:07

Think my title says it all! I am not a natural shopper and have very little time left to actually go shopping (two young children, busy job). My plan was to look online, narrow it down to a shortlist of say 3 or 4, then whizz round the shops in the 2 hour window I have on Weds to try them on. I'm struggling to find much though.--and starting to panic that I've left it too late--

Am 5" 7', size 12. Will probably also need shoes, accessories etc (and am even worse at accessorising than I am at dress shopping!)

Any tips, suggestions of which shops to try, dress /shoe suggestions gratefully received.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Mon 22-Jun-15 20:12:53

This isn't helpful at all OP, but I first read your thread title to be "Homeless shopper..." And I imagined this thread to be a plea for a donated outfit. Obvs not the case...
Go to Debenhams? Dorothy Perkins?

Pantsalive Mon 22-Jun-15 20:13:08

I'm sure there will be plenty of us along to help. .
What's your budget and colouring? What styles do you generally like?

Budget? Colours? How 'posh' is the wedding likely to be?

I'm thinking of getting a bright coloured full midi skirt, teamed with a fitted cropped jacket and high heels for a wedding I'm going to in the summer. I think it might be easier than a dress, for me at least.

YesThisIsMe Mon 22-Jun-15 20:15:37

Colour preference? Length preference? General shape (yours and dress's)?

Are you happy with something above the knee? How about strappy tops or do you want (short) sleeves? Are you happy with a tight pencil skirt or do you want something more flared? Do you want your waist shown off or concealed?

And crucially, what's your maximum budget?

Couchto5ktowine Mon 22-Jun-15 20:22:10

Depending on where you are, can you get a personal shopper appointment at Debenhams? Free service and will work to any budget. Saved my life when shopping for my mum's Mother of the Bride outfit. Worth their weight in gold.

YesThisIsMe Mon 22-Jun-15 20:23:40

Ditto the nice ladies at John Lewis are very good with inexperienced shoppers if your budget will stretch to their brands.

meerschweinchen Mon 22-Jun-15 20:27:07

OK maximum budget about £100, would prefer it to be less though!

Think it's a fairly big wedding, traditional rather than over the top posh.
I'd prefer knee-length I guess. I prefer a dress to skirt and jacket.
I suppose I feel more comfortable in short sleeves, but I'd be OK with sleeveless. I do want to wear a bra, so nothing too strappy.

Would like something flattering - I'd feel uncomfortable in anything too clingy, but don't want to wear anything completely shapeless as that's not flattering either!

meerschweinchen Mon 22-Jun-15 20:29:01

I'd love to have a personal shopper!
John Lewis would be great, but there's not one near us. I didn't realise Debenhams offered this service. Will definitely look into it. Our local Debenhams isn't that big, but I guess they might?

MadameJosephine Mon 22-Jun-15 20:30:50

Wallis have some lovely dresses in their sale at the moment. I just bought this one
m.wallis.co.uk/h5/product?productId=19171860
Just waiting for a wedding to wear it to now!

Gillybobs Mon 22-Jun-15 21:40:46

Mint velvet for dresses, top of your price range but they sell really well on eBay so you could list it after the wedding!

WanderWomble Mon 22-Jun-15 22:10:24

How about something like this:

uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/7458870406

I adore the print on this: uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/7455290806

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now