Please help a scruffy person smarten up!

(17 Posts)
Drowsybutawake Mon 22-Jun-15 15:30:27

I've always been quite lazy about my appearance, and I have a career that lets me get away with this. But now I'm in my mid 30s and am a mum, I think it's time to accept that I won't be able to coast by on at least looking young. If I carry on like this I will be mistaken for DS's gran at the school gates!

However, realistically I will probably stay quite lazy sad, so what is the most important thing I can do, which will give the biggest payoff for the extra hassle and expense?

Getting a smart haircut every 8 weeks? Starting to dye my hair? Get manicures? Getting clothes that need ironed/dry cleaned? Switching to contact lenses? Wearing makeup every day?

By the way my personal hygiene is very good! I just look like a scruff.

LashesandLipstick Mon 22-Jun-15 15:32:11

Dye your hair nothing looks messier than greys

Pantsalive Mon 22-Jun-15 16:08:18

I'd say haircut rather than colour. I definitely feel more together once I've had mine cut. Not too bothered about my grey hairs.
Coming from a similar place to you a while back, I also ditched my scruffiest clothes, ie the cardigans with holes that I decided only I could see.
Finally, although it's a hideous cliché, a bit of lipstick makes all the difference for me.

Pumpkinette Mon 22-Jun-15 16:09:08

Get your hair cut and if your hair is starting to grey then dye it. I would also say get your eyebrows threaded or waxed and tinted. They make a big difference to the overall look of someone's face.

Pantsalive Mon 22-Jun-15 16:10:47

Ps I will never be smart. Never was while I had a job where that sort of thing counted and wore all the right clothes and a full face of make up. However I think what you do us endeavour to look a bit more put together IYKWIM.

momtothree Mon 22-Jun-15 16:12:35

Non iron clothes are a must ... also glasses are stylish at the min. Go with co-ordinating stuff ... dont buy green trousers if you have nothing that goes with it - that way you pull off outfits without having to think too much. (Put the thought in first)

MonstrousRatbag Mon 22-Jun-15 16:19:50

Grooming. Hair brushed, clothes clean, brushed, ironed and neat, shoes clean and not down at heel, etc. Nails need not be manicured at all but equally don't let them be dirty or ragged.

Keep your outfits simple and vaguely colour-coordinated. I disagree about needing to dye the grey hair, by the way. But grey hair can be more wiry and wayward so it needs a bit more work.

Make-up can be minimal-just mascara and lipstick will make a huge difference. Lots of people get expensive eyebrow shaping when all they might have needed to do was brush them.

Start with smaller, cheaper changes and see how you go.

ZeroFunDame Mon 22-Jun-15 16:23:51

grin At the school gates I visit it is invariably the grandparents who look the most stylish and soignée ...

CordeliaFoxx Mon 22-Jun-15 16:33:10

Definitely hair cut/colour and eyebrows will make a difference. What do you like to wear jeans/dresses etc?

avocadotoast Mon 22-Jun-15 16:37:22

YY to a bit of makeup. I haven't kept up to it lately because I have a newborn and I'm knackered but I find tidy eyebrows, bit of mascara, eyeliner and natural blusher (if you can be arsed) make a difference even if you're just wearing jeans and tshirt.

Nolim Mon 22-Jun-15 16:38:38

I work in an office but i am lazy when it comes to apperance. I dont do any of the things that you mention op except wear clothes that have to be ironed and even those i keep at a minimum. I never dye my hair, get a manicure or wear makeup. Yet i get away with it because i appear neat and nice. I wear clean clothes and comfortable but nice shoes, and brush my hair.

LaBette001 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:10:41

I'm one of those permanently scruffy people. I think it's about choosing classic clothes / colours. Maybe try buying a few tops in neutral colours and clean lines from somewhere like Cos. Also buy a couple of pairs of smart, classic / trendy whatever you prefer every day shoes and make sure you keep em nice.

I think if I did those things then I would be less of a middle aged scruff ball grin

Drowsybutawake Mon 22-Jun-15 23:51:07

Thank you everyone! I am currently breastfeeding so wearing a "uniform" of comfy trousers and stretchy vest top under bigger top - when I finish will be an excellent opportunity to revamp my wardrobe!

I think I'll start with haircut rather than dying because I'm not sure I really can trust myself to keep up with roots, but thanks for the suggestions about makeup and eyebrows, never thought of that.

Picachew Tue 23-Jun-15 07:55:14

What do you think it is that makes you look scruffy? I'd start with that!

When I think of the phrase 'scruffy' I think unbrushed hair and baggy creased clothes, is that what we're talking about?

CordeliaFoxx Tue 23-Jun-15 11:48:56

Dying hair doesn't need to be radical, if you pick something close to your natural colour the roots will be minimal but your hair will just seen fresher and shiner (and no greys if you have some!)

BangingTheDrums Tue 23-Jun-15 18:50:52

Wardrobe declutter - anything that needs mending, doesn't fit or makes you feel bad goes.

I'm straightening my hair daily and have ditched glasses in favour of lenses - have had compliments every day shock

Translucent powder, mascara, lipgloss - 2mins make up

iloveoz Tue 23-Jun-15 19:16:50

Personal shopper is a good idea you can get few ideas then go elsewhere to buy cheaper clothes and Chuck out anything that makes you feel scruffy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now