Talk

Advanced search

Which "heirloom" handbag would you choose?

(48 Posts)
DollyParsons Mon 22-Jun-15 11:26:10

My grandmother wants to buy me an heirloom handbag for my upcoming "big" birthday [extremely bowled over by her generosity icon]. I am her only granddaughter and DD is her only great-granddaughter so she wants to buy something to be passed down the generations.

Which of these would you choose:

www.anyahindmarch.com/Top-Handle/Large-Soft-Ebury/Black-5050925839686.html?start=7&cgid=Top%20Handle

www.selfridges.com/en/saint-laurent-sac-de-jour-medium-grained-shoulder-bag_118-2000644-347543BPW0N/?previewAttribute=Fog+grey

www.selfridges.com/en/saint-laurent-sac-de-jour-medium-crocodile-effect-leather-tote_118-2000644-347543DAY0N/?previewAttribute=Black

Thanks!

ScooseIsLoose Mon 22-Jun-15 11:31:31

Really not fussed on the anya hindmarch one. I love the grey Saint Laurent one but that colour might not age well, I think the black one is more classic and more suitable as a heirloom piece.

HelenF350 Mon 22-Jun-15 11:35:18

I love the hindmarch one.

NomiMalone Mon 22-Jun-15 11:37:04

Of those three I would choose the black YSL.

But if I had the option I'd get something else entirely.

You lucky thing btw envy .

SaveOurBogBrushes Mon 22-Jun-15 11:42:13

I'd say the most 'classic' is the anya hindmarch but chanel do a truly classic executive bag that's quite similar that I think would probably age better.

SaveOurBogBrushes Mon 22-Jun-15 11:45:10

Just a warning, I have found that crocodile effect items don't last as long and tend to be harder to treat cracking of leather (inherited some of my mum's handbags). Might be worth taking a look at the purseforum for longevity if you're serious about passing it on.

Guirado Mon 22-Jun-15 11:46:51

Youve got a great budget, spend it on Chanel. A Chanel bag has never been out of style.

EuphemiaCoxton Mon 22-Jun-15 12:08:27

Out of those the YSL.
But Chanel is a true heirloom piece. Classic Chanel never goes out of style or depreciate.

MsBojangles Mon 22-Jun-15 12:17:51

Those chain strap Chanel bags were considered really old fashioned for years, they were seen as a bit 80s and frumpy. They're back with a vengeance now of course for some reason

Twinklestein Mon 22-Jun-15 12:25:49

Realistically none of those bags are 'heirloom' status. I'd go for Chanel.

But, personally I think jewellery would be a better investment. It holds its value and its condition.

DollyParsons Mon 22-Jun-15 12:34:27

Thanks everyone! And thanks for the heads up about the croc effect.

I totally agree re Chanel but I can't seem to find a classic, "structured" bag. I want something that will keep its shape and that I can use for meetings (dull corporate person here). Is there one I have missed?!

Any other suggestions please?

Heels99 Mon 22-Jun-15 12:39:38

I think you need to decide whether you want a corporate bag for work OR a going out bag to enjoy. These three bags are all quite dull will you enjoy using them?
By heirloom bag I presume you mean a classic style that won't date in future years so that your dd could use it one day, would opt for a Chanel or a Kelly rather than any of these.

Heels99 Mon 22-Jun-15 12:40:24

Agree jewellery is much better idea than a handbag.

Cheesymonster Mon 22-Jun-15 13:09:37

Have you looked at the Chanel Executive Tote?

santamarianovella Mon 22-Jun-15 13:27:32

IMO none of the bags, you've linked are heirloom criteria or even quality,saint laurent keep changing their desgins all the time, and as soon as a new dsigner is appointed, the whole brand has a complete revamp, almost all brands do that, they reinvent and modernise their "classic" designs, with time, Gucci and dior are known for that too. Unless you go for an hermes bag or Chanel,

Twinklestein Mon 22-Jun-15 13:27:46

Realistically a bag you use for work will get battered quite quickly.

So I agree you need to decide on work bag/vs heirloom to pass down. I don't think you can combine both.

babybarrister Mon 22-Jun-15 13:30:22

My Anya did not last well ....[posted a thread re hard wearing bags on here a week ago which may have some suggestions ....]

Twinklestein Mon 22-Jun-15 13:31:35

I find Aspinal work bags excellent.

Why not buy yourself a decent work bag, and ask for a special bag from your granny?

GinUpGirl Mon 22-Jun-15 13:37:00

If we are going heirloom, I'd go for Hermes.

Pugthug Mon 22-Jun-15 13:37:06

Hi I have been seeing some great results with Glycolic Acid and wanted to up the game with Retin A. The only place that I can find is geofspharmacy. Anyone have any suggestions about safe sites etc. I'm looking for 0.05% to start. Thanks.

Pugthug Mon 22-Jun-15 13:37:37

Sorry trying to start a thread grin

burnishedsilver Mon 22-Jun-15 13:52:16

As an heirloom I'd pick Channel.

burnishedsilver Mon 22-Jun-15 13:53:06

That should, of course, be Chanel and not Channel!

Sgtmajormummy Mon 22-Jun-15 14:02:02

For me, heirloom bag= Hermes Kelly Bag.

Sgtmajormummy Mon 22-Jun-15 14:17:19

My goodness! i've just Googled the price-£6,000 and a waiting list. You'd need a very generous grandmother and plenty of warning to get one of those!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now