Talk

Advanced search

Retinol - can someone explain this to me?

(6 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Mon 22-Jun-15 10:02:42

Everything I read about Retinol suggests that it is the only anti-ageing ingredient that really works because it is a properly tested drug (a type of Vitamin A I think?). However I often end up reading US blogs/articles and fron what I can work out they seem to get it on prescription from their dermatologists, who are actual doctors but seem to prescribe things for cosmetic as well as medical issues?

I know that there are lots of retinol products available over the counter (OTC) but are these the same as these American ones or watered-down less effective versions? Is there a go-to retinol product that is available OTC in the UK and actually makes a difference? I also know they can be harsh on sensitive skin, but is this to do with the concentration of Retinol and how much does it vary?

I'm on the verge of revamping my skincare regime and would love to finally understand this!

Naicecuppatea Mon 22-Jun-15 12:08:05

Retinol that you can buy off the shelves is a much weaker derivative of Retin-A which is what you need to get prescribed by a dermatologist. Retin-A creams are excellent for acne-prone skin and also for anti-aging. You may get some effects from retinol-containing creams. The best in my opinion are Vichy Redermic and Avene Ystheal/Eluage.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 22-Jun-15 12:13:13

I think the strongest retinol product on the market is Skinceuticals 1.0 which is apparently the same strength as Retin 0.025. It costs about £50 though.

I just buy actual retin-a from Pharmacy Geoff.

Love2dance Mon 22-Jun-15 12:19:03

Sali Hughes did a good article in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago on the new generation of Retinols which are apparently more effective than they used to be. I was prescribed 1% Renin A (sold as Tretinoin cream) to help with hyperpigmentation. It initially caused redness and flaking as it speeds up cell turnover but it does have a welcome anti-aging effect too, with smooth skin. Daily high spf is essential if you use it though.

JessieMcJessie Mon 22-Jun-15 12:53:51

Thanks all. Do we have dermatologists in the UK who will prescribe it for cosmetic purposes not related to skin disease. or unsightly scarring? My sense is that Americans all seem to have these docs who'll preacribe anything for a fee. And what is Pharmacy Geoff?

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 22-Jun-15 13:06:49

I don't think your GP will prescribe retin unless you have scarring but I'd imagine a private dermatologist would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now