Talk

Advanced search

Where do you buy your clothes?

(48 Posts)
CrapBag Sun 21-Jun-15 22:54:16

I always feel like I don't really know where to buy clothes for my age (early 30s). I went shopping last week and got some nice stuff in Next, Oasis and New Look but I felt at a bit of a loss for where else to go. I like Fat Face but it's a bit pricey but sometimes I feel like I'm not the right age for some shops. I haven't set foot in Topshop or River Island for years. I always think of Dorothy Perking as an older persons shop (although no idea if that's true).

Sometimes I walk past or into a shop and see the really young staff and think they must wonder why I am in there.

Lipgloss74 Sun 21-Jun-15 22:58:15

Try asos on line, loads of nice stuff x

maybetomorrow22 Sun 21-Jun-15 23:01:01

I've recently rediscovered H&M. I've bought a few bits in River Island too. Beginning to think New look is getting a bit over priced for what it is. Dorothy Perkins is a bit hit or miss. What about TK Maxx?

Goanddoapoothen Sun 21-Jun-15 23:13:35

Mostly Gap. Odd bits from h&m, next, new look, Asos and primark. Fat Face occasionally, generally only winter wear. The odd item from joules and superdry. I am picky with materials, preferring natural fibres and am petite so will only buy stuff if it really fits well. I tend to buy classic items not high fashion so willing to try shops out of my norm if something fits well! Tesco have had some amazing cotton shirts recently which I've bought also so that's a good example. I'm 33.

mrsmeerkat Sun 21-Jun-15 23:15:32

I'm 36

Monsoon for tops for good wear. Tesco and primark for days I am mucking into stuff.
I like new look for accessories.
gap for shirts

BaronessBomburst Sun 21-Jun-15 23:16:19

eBay. grin

Misslgl88 Sun 21-Jun-15 23:18:54

I'm 27 and used to mostly shop in new look but feel lately their clothes are aimed at younger girls than me, crop tops, hot pants etc and after 3 DC there is no way I'm pulling that off. I do still like some of their things though especially shoes.
I now shop in oasis and h & m mostly. Oasis is a bit pricier but imo worth it

Chchchchanging Sun 21-Jun-15 23:34:48

Skinnies- topshop only place that fit
Chinos-next petite
Tops/ dresses- whistles, cos, hm
Vests etc- Sainsburys
Shoes- anywhere but cliche of converse flats at weekends!!

chanie44 Mon 22-Jun-15 06:47:18

I'm 35 and I'll shop anywhere in theory as I focus on the items eg fit, material, whether it's natural fibres etc.

I shop in uniqlo, gap, mango, Zara, warehouse and oasis.

I also like shopping in department shops, as they have lots of different brands, so I can take a couple of bits into the changing rooms at the same time.

noisytoys Mon 22-Jun-15 06:51:05

I love Fat Face. I wear clothes until they literally fall apart. Was having a clearout over the weekend and noticed it is only Fat Face that never make the cull. I have clothes from there that have been worn for 10 years and still look good as new.

wishingchair Mon 22-Jun-15 06:52:11

I'm 40 and love Tk Maxx and Zara for tops, Next for jeans and then some independent shops and nice department stores at sale time! Get occasional thing from new look or top shop. I avoid anything too polyestery!

wishingchair Mon 22-Jun-15 06:56:22

Ooo and have got some nice bits from matalan too - just avoid the cheapy man made fibre stuff. Tk Maxx good for shoes and bags too.

AmberNectarine Mon 22-Jun-15 09:13:56

I'm 30 and I buy LOADS in Topshop, I think it's great!

Zorion Mon 22-Jun-15 09:40:12

I am 28, size 10-12.

Zara zara zara zara (in Spain tis very cheap)

&OtherStories, Gap, French Connection occasionally, M&S from time to time, Jaeger, Hobbs a bit, quite a lot of Boden, Massimo Dutti (also cheap in Spain) Uniqlo, Barbour, Levis for jeans.

I rarely buy topshop as I find the quality dire for the price, but then I have been spoiled by cheap Zara. I also can't be arsed with crappy customer service, hence being won over by Boden despite having to wade through all the mumsy crap!

BlankXpression Mon 22-Jun-15 10:17:33

I'm late thirties, size 12, tall.

I whore around a whole range of shops grin, buying different things in different places. H&M and Zara usually come up trumps for me, though.

Topshop - leggings, the odd top
Next - Tall range basics e.g. vests, the odd blazer or coat
Zara/ASOS/Warehouse/Oasis/H&M/River Island - tops, jackets/blazers/coats
Phase Eight/Hobbs/Boden - work stuff, dresses, plus trousers from Boden
New Look/H&M - my 'go to' for summer clothes shopping places, because they're cheap and summer is short here in the UK

Then I tend to go to big dept. stores for winter clothes shopping and get the odd nicer brand (Ted Baker, Ralph Lauren etc).

TK Maxx for scarves and bags.

JazzAnnNonMouse Mon 22-Jun-15 10:41:30

Charity shops... Get a wide range of styles and shops then wink

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 22-Jun-15 11:33:29

On line.
eBay
Asos
Modcloth

From the high street.
Simply be
Evans
New look
Yours

stripytees Mon 22-Jun-15 12:02:54

I'm 32 and buy a lot of White Stuff skirts and tops, M&S jeans/jeggings (their short length is perfect for me), Boden, Seasalt, basics from H&M, and the occasional find from TK Maxx. Also lots of eBay for the brands I love at bargain prices!

I try to avoid manmade fibers and anything too trendy which means my clothes last longer and are my style rather than the latest fashion. I used to buy a lot of cheaper trendy stuff in my twenties and it was such a false economy as most got worn twice and abandoned in the wardrobe after.

goldopals Mon 22-Jun-15 12:04:26

www.modcloth.com

goldopals Mon 22-Jun-15 12:04:26

www.modcloth.com

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 22-Jun-15 12:12:59

Topshop, Whistles and Warehouse are my main staple shops, but I do buy the odd thing from Cos, Zara and Oasis, and also get "basics" like v-neck cardigans from H&M. I've recently discovered Finery London and have bought a few bits from there which I've been really pleased with.

50shadesofmeh Mon 22-Jun-15 12:25:29

Uniqlo, Asos, zara, h&m, people tree.

GhostsComeWith Mon 22-Jun-15 12:36:04

I'm early 40's tall, size 10/12 and I only shop from a few places these days:

GAP: jeans, cotton tops, knitwear, summer dresses
Boden: summer dresses, tops, knitwear, shoes - all PLAIN (except shoes!)
Noa Noa: pretty much 99% of my wardrobe these days and I have stuff from there that is 5 or 6 years old and still fabulous - I really love their clothes but I have to be careful about which shapes work for me.
Whistles: has really improved again in recent couple of years - lovely dresses and knitwear
Cos: very hit and miss as can be really boxy and shapeless on me, nice jewellery
Monsoon - the very odd time, can be overly embellished / garish colours for me but have some tops / dresses from there in plainer fabrics (LOVE their girls clothes for my 9yr old though!)

That's about it really, I don't even bother going into Top Shop anymore as way too 'fashioney' for me. H&M, I buy some stuff for dd there but now that she has moved out of the 3-8yr range and into the 9-14 the stuff is absolutely DIRE. I buy some tops (bretons mainly!) there but imo the quality is poor.

I don't have a Zara close by but sometimes visit one in a neighbouring town, I find it very hit and miss for me.

I would like to have a Jigsaw too, used to buy almost 100% of my clothes there in the late 90's / 2000's but then it closed down in my city.

BerylStreep Mon 22-Jun-15 12:40:26

Phase Eight for work dresses & jeans
TK Maxx for tops
Gerry Weber & Jaegar
Monsoon for cardigans
Recently discovered Mary Portas jeans, which go right up to your ribs (nice & comfy).

Buttwing Mon 22-Jun-15 12:47:29

I'm 37 and I buy from

Asos
H and m
River island
Zara

I recently rediscovered warehouse, I've not shopped there for ten years but it was fab had loads of really nice things in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now