Talk

Advanced search

Cheap make up recommendations please

(17 Posts)
lowcrabdiet Sun 21-Jun-15 20:54:44

I am having to make cut backs now that my son has fallen in love with dancing and attends 60quids worth of lessons a month, let's not even begin to talk about shoes/uniform/costumes

So hit me with your best off the shelf recommendations for make up and skin care. I particularly need a good foundation for combination skin that is full of crater-like pores and acne scars. Maybe also a serum to disguise them too.

I also need to replace my mascara and touche eclat with something far more economical so I can cover the hideous dark circles that have emerged under my eyes since I now lie awake at night figuring out how I'm going to fund his new hobby

Ooh and while you amazing people are at it, what's your best bargain shampoo/conditioner combo for naturally curly, naturally grey but now unnaturally dark-to-caramel ombre hair?

FallenAngel22 Mon 22-Jun-15 13:19:20

I am currently loving Rimmel's new mascara in the green tube, smells like cucumber and in Asda all Rimmel stuff is under £5; their nail polishes are fab too. Currently using the Garnier honey shampoo and conditioner and it's lovely, makes my hair really soft and much better than Kerastase that I bought.

Can't really advise on make up as I don't really wear it, but Superdrug's MUA range is really cheap and gets very good reviews. In fact I prefer Superdrug to Boots for most things as they always have offers on and a much bigger range of stuff.

lowcrabdiet Tue 23-Jun-15 19:26:49

Thanks FallenAngel22 I will have a mooch about superdrug at the weekend. Supermarket bargains are even better as I rarely get time for shopping centres at the minute!

I saw the garnier honey shampoo today but was won over by a Loreal elvive £2 offer instead

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 23-Jun-15 19:29:04

Wilkos Essence range is fantastic - nail varnishes, mascara, eye liner, all really good quality.

ReallyNotMe Tue 23-Jun-15 19:37:16

Collection concealer is really good if you can get a good colour match.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 23-Jun-15 19:39:53

Rimmel lasting perfection concealer in the red tub is even better imo.

Melonfool Tue 23-Jun-15 19:47:30

People often recommend the Aldi serum here, I've not tried it (yet).

I like this primer, but it seems to get mixed reviews, it feel like silk going on:

www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=126193/Mineral-Infused-Face-Primer/E.L.F./Primer/-Corrector

Nip and Fab cleansing pads might help minimise the appearance of your pores and even the skin tone, they're not 'budget', but you could use half a pad morning and half at night. They come in packs of 60, so that would be 120 treatments, 60 days, two months.

Mind you, Superdrug glycolic peel has been helping my skin and that's c£3, plus I like their almond hot cloth wash.

Today I've bought Waitrose Pure facial oil, hopefully it'll be good - £2.99.

penguinsaresmall Tue 23-Jun-15 22:29:55

I second Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer - better than any expensive brand I've tried.

Also Collection Extreme felt tip eyeliner - I love this and have bought it in every colour.

Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation is really good - great coverage without looking like a mask. Actually all Bourjois makeup is really good - made by Chanel but a 'budget' version.

Hair-wise Body Shop do a great sulphate/phosphate free range that's perfect for curly hair & is about £4 a bottle. It's in their Rainforest range. And Body Shop are doing 40% off online purchases ATM...

midnightmoomoo Tue 23-Jun-15 22:39:25

I like Boots No7 for foundation, mascara and their Sheer Temptation lipsticks. They are giving out the money off vouchers in Boots at the mo, £5 off no7 skincare, £3 off no7 make up.

MUA lipsticks are good, £1 each. I have the Rimmel concealer in the red pot, the Collection one and Boots 17 phwoar paint and they're all good.

Carmex lip balm in a tube, £1.50 in Tesco is brilliant. Super drug body butter is fab, on offer for less than £2 at the moment.

Look in the poundshops too, I got the clearasil acid toning pads in our 99p shop. Also good for shampoo etc and at least if you don't like it you've only spent a pound! Good toothpaste too!

Dudess Tue 23-Jun-15 22:44:49

We are in a Makeup Revolution - you lucky lass, you! Seriously, check out YouTube and Blogs on this budget brand; fab 'dupe' Benefit Fake Up Concealer for £3! That's the fab thing about the in-store stocks...they actually mark out their dupe products. Head to your nearest Superdrug for a nose, although they stock way more online.

My high-end beauty friends (Think Chanel, Creme de Mer) love Poundland bronzers and concealers, too. I use a George at Asda copy Touch Éclat, or No 7.

Dudess Tue 23-Jun-15 22:47:05

Oh, and the only crater-disguise you need is Benefit's Porefessional...full size costs £20+ but their mini 7g tubes last months with daily wear, and can be found on eBay for around a fiver!

lowcrabdiet Wed 24-Jun-15 14:31:53

Thanks everyone. It sounds like Superdrug is the place to be

There is a one near the dance studio so I will treat myself whilst ds is perfecting his latest steps on Saturday grin

Is Collection the old collection 2000? I used to love their nail varnish and eye liners before I forgot my roots and got snobby about make up had enough money to pay the painted ladies instead.

I tried the benefit Pore thingy when it came free in something. I can't say I found it to be as awesome as everyone else seems to. I would give it another whirl but am reluctant to part with the cash. I've heard maybelline do a cheap alternative though, so I might give that a go.

I will also check out YouTube vids too

Charityworker34 Wed 24-Jun-15 15:06:41

Maybelline are great all round. The Lash Sensational mascara and Baby Lips balms, and they often have special offers- 3 for 2 etc

penguinsaresmall Wed 24-Jun-15 16:24:33

Yes Collection is the same company.

I don't rate porefessional either - I found the best primer is sudocreme.

HelenF350 Wed 24-Jun-15 16:45:17

Max factor masterpiece max waterproof mascara is brilliant. It's about a tenner so not that cheap but worth every penny imho.

Branleuse Wed 24-Jun-15 16:52:14

TK maxx usually have a cheap makeup bit with the toiletries, selling posh makeup for cheap

Melonfool Wed 24-Jun-15 21:36:41

I bought that Rimmel concealer today, and a nail varnish, and they have a free bronzer if you spend £9.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now