Talk

Advanced search

Can I glue my nail back together?

(7 Posts)
CurlsLDN Sat 20-Jun-15 07:37:38

While shaving my legs in a hurry yesterday I somehow managed to slice through my nail with the razor. As you'll see in the pic there are two slices that go a few mm down onto the nail bed. (my nails are v soft!)
It didn't bleed, but feels tender and gives me the willies when it catches on things! I've been wearing a plaster over it, but expect it will take weeks to grow out, and fear that the moist plaster world could be a lovely breeding ground for infection.
What do I do? Is it possible to superglue it or something?
I do do my own gel nails so could try putting a hard layer of gel over but not sure if that's a terrible idea?

chocoshopoholic Sat 20-Jun-15 07:46:58

When I broke one of mine low down so it was painful I did:
- remove current polish and file to as straight as possible
- cut a piece if tissue the same size and shape as the nail
- apply base coat and add tissue whilst damp ( I'd probably use gel now and cure) leave to fully set

- add another base coat, followed by the rest of colour ( again, probably would continue with gel nowadays)

goodasitgets Sat 20-Jun-15 07:47:27

Tea bag also works instead of tissue as above

CurlsLDN Sat 20-Jun-15 08:07:37

Wow thankyou, I'll give it a try. What was it like when you had to remove it though? I don't fancy getting polish remover into the exposed nail bed, or ripping the nail off even more

CurlsLDN Sat 20-Jun-15 11:00:52

Amazing! Thanks guys. I used tea bag and gel polish, hopefully this will hold for a couple of weeks, giving it some time to grow out/recover

CointreauVersial Sat 20-Jun-15 13:10:51

I have done tissue plus Superglue a couple of times. Has worked well enough for the split to grow out.

TheAssassinsGuild Sat 20-Jun-15 18:10:26

Yup - superglue and tissue paper. I used to play the classical guitar and this is what I did when a nail split.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now