Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Shoes that smell like something's died in them...

(10 Posts)
BuggersMuddle Fri 19-Jun-15 21:21:05

I have a pair of approach shoes (think stiff trainers) that stink to the high heaven. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the shoes - supportive, intact, sole good etc. They probably have 6-12 months of wear on them, but unfortunately are utterly unwearable and can't go in the machine. Suede / fabric / Goretex.

I haven't a scooby how to deodorise them effectively and am hoping someone can advise? (Tried removing insoles, deodorising with a spray, but apparently they are not washable confused )

They are mine and I don't have stinky feet, but I am er, prone to perspiration when exercising so while it's easy to launder clothes perhaps more regularly than others, shoes are a different matter. Doesn't seem to affect my purely leather shoes at all, thankfully...

Any suggestions?

Hobby2014 Fri 19-Jun-15 21:32:30

What kind of spray did you use? Would febreeze work? Or one of those odour neutraliser pots you put in a cupboard (so removes smell rather than covering?) but shove in the shoes instead and put shoes in a sealed box for a few days?

MsPavlichenko Fri 19-Jun-15 21:43:46

Bicarbonate of soda with some tea tree oil mixed in. Sprinkle/deluge inside of shoes, leave overnight, outside if possible.

BuggersMuddle Fri 19-Jun-15 21:57:40

I tried Febreeze, but I think it's a bit beyond.

BuggersMuddle Fri 19-Jun-15 21:58:51

Ooh, didn't think about bicarb - could definitely try that (although not sure about outside given the slugs etc. Does it just have to be cold?)

MsPavlichenko Fri 19-Jun-15 22:07:11

Not really, just that fresh air might help too, on a (discreet window ledge?) Tea tree is brilliant too, really helps. Can use on feet too !

Rock3t Sat 20-Jun-15 08:32:48

Sounds like my cross country shoes! Try sneaker balls shoe fresheners, they work a treat.

Chewbecca Sat 20-Jun-15 10:04:39

I'm not sure you can bring them back from that point, they may be rotten inside. Once my shoes have gone, they've gone.

I have various 'rules' to prevent my shoes getting to this point as am rather prone to horrifically smelly feet, as well as careful daily foot washing.

- never wear same shoes two days running, they need time to 'dry out'
- leather only, ideally leather insoles too
- cotton socks only, barefoot only with leather insoles sandals

Might be more dramatic rules than you need!

chipsandpeas Sat 20-Jun-15 10:18:31

i would actually put them in the washing machine in a pillow case on a cooler wash than normal then leave them outside to dry

TollgateDebs Sat 20-Jun-15 11:19:20

I have washed shoes that supposedly can't be washed, but they generally all come out well. Beige nubuck men's trainers (Sebago) - washed well and on wash four now, mixed fabric, suede and ? (Sketchers) - washed well, suede women's red and blue (Clarks) - washed well. All had moulded, soft soles - all at 30, with detergent and left to dry naturally. When your shoes are at the point of last orders, you have nothing to lose really. I put the brands in to show that it a variety of makes seem to be able to cope. Worth a try before they get dumped in a bin, but it is always a risk I suppose. Oh, they get washed on their own, not with anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now