Talk

Advanced search

What do you need on family holiday?

(13 Posts)
chairandchairalike Fri 19-Jun-15 19:39:58

I've never been abroad, we're going for the first time to Spain in August for 2 weeks with DH, and DC 8 and 5. I wear dresses, skinny jeans, blazers etc with ballet flats, sandals or boots day to day and have primer, under eye, concealer, foundation, powder, highlighter, blush and eye make up daily. Really struggling with outfits for day and make up etc (I'm a 12, Apple shape) and we'll be pool, beach, sightseeing etc (public transport)

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Fri 19-Jun-15 19:50:19

I have lots of light weight dresses (about 12?) - some maxi, some just below knee length and a couple of pairs of harem style trousers (but without a baggy crotch bit!) and vests. I take a denim jacket, 2 light weight cardigans, a couple of kimonos, and a couple of other "layer" type things.

3 costumes. Variety of sarongs. Nice flip flops, sandles I can walk for miles in, a pair of high sandals.

I travel in jeans, t shirt & cardigan with a pair of trainers.

So nothing heavy, but stuff I can layer/mix match if it's by some chance raining.

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Fri 19-Jun-15 19:53:37

Oh and some of the 12 lightweight dresses have been going on holiday with me for 10 years! It sounds a lot but I pick up 2 dresses or so each year and they're never very expensive ones - supermarket jobbies do fine for a beach break.

For my kids - swimming shorts, t shirts, normal shorts, sandals.

Sun hats for all of us.

DH takes plenty of t shirts and about 2 pairs of shorts!

chairandchairalike Fri 19-Jun-15 20:28:56

That's really helpful, thanks smile

chairandchairalike Sun 21-Jun-15 19:53:55

Anyone got any ideas about make up please?

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Sun 21-Jun-15 20:28:29

Hi,

Anywhere hot - keep it minimal as it'll slide off your face! I Only really wear make up at night - I take a black pencil, some highlighter cream, mascara and a metallic eyeshadow I can rub on with my finger (it's a bourjois one in a round pot). I keep my nails short and natural as I swim a lot on holiday.

During the day I stick to just mascara and a decent SPF cream and usually a Chapstick type thing with SPF for my lips - it's just too hot for anything else. If I know I'm going to be swimming a lot, I don't even bother with the mascara, just some Vaseline on my eyelashes (I look half dead with natural eyelashes).

Hair - I take the solid shampoo from lush and keep a bottle of frizz ease at hand to comb through and just leave to dry in the sun (my hair always looks shit during the day but I always have a hat on during the day). I've grown it this year so I'm hoping to be able to be able to pin it up and forget about it.

Avon's after sun lotion used to be a fantastic insect repellent - I'm sure it probably still is?

Melonfool Sun 21-Jun-15 20:38:50

It's Avon Skin So Soft that works as insect repellent.

I wear linen trousers and loose cotton tops on holiday.

yazzy85 Sun 21-Jun-15 21:23:23

I'm going to Spain soon too. I've bought some linen trousers, printed trousers, tees, vests and a light cardigan. For makeup I'm keeping my Bare Minerals Matte powder foundation, its so lightweight and feels like I have nothing on my face. Origins Vita Zing tinted moisturiser is also very good and tinted lip balm.

Artandco Sun 21-Jun-15 21:25:30

I only take eyeliner, mascara and lipgloss makeup wise. Usually only wear them at night also. In the day you will be reapplying suncream and probably sweaty or in sea/ pool so it will come off or smear

chairandchairalike Sun 21-Jun-15 22:47:33

This is really helpful, thank you. I am a bit overwhelmed by what we'll do for two weeks, I'm sure it'll be fantastic and lots to do but I'm not used to holidays that aren't UK based so lots of research beforehand and more organised days out, walking etc. thank you for answering without making me feel silly

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Sun 21-Jun-15 22:54:16

I was like that a couple of years ago - I wondered how on earth we'd fill 2 weeks on a beachy type holiday, but it was great. For one thing, the glorious sunshine forces you to go at a more leisurely pace!

One thing I found with holidaying abroad was I was 90% certain Wed have sun whereas in the UK by the time I'd packed clothes for rain/cold & clothes for Sun, a couple of jackets, suncream, umbrellas to cover every eventuality weatherwise we ended up with a ridiculous amount of stuff!

Oly4 Mon 22-Jun-15 02:06:33

Dresses are brilliant. I have a few dozen cotton or jersey ones collected over the years. Some maxi, some knee length, mostly plain colours or stripes, that I wear with flip flops during the day or glitter flats in the evening with jewellery. Jersey doesn't crease and I find it so easy to pack this way rather than trying to co-ordinate tios and bottoms. Then I throw in white linens wide legged trousers and 3/4 tips in case the weather is cooler, a cashmere cardi in black or grey that works with everything, and job done!

starfish4 Mon 22-Jun-15 10:05:35

Sounds like you have some nice dresses, so they are a must. If you want a different look a tshirt and shorts maybe. A cardi or lightweight jumper in case it chills off in the evening. A sarong or pair or shorts if you're conscious about legs/bum while walking around with your swimming cozzie on. Sandles are a must, and possibly some flipflops for just slipping on or off near the pool or beach (and you don't have to worry about getting wet or ruined).

You're usual makeup will be fine.

Have a great time, where are you going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now