Talk

Advanced search

Not really stylish or beautiful but can anyone recommend a decent packaway raincoat?

(6 Posts)
Wenchelda Fri 19-Jun-15 12:35:11

I want something just to keep as standby in my bag for our unpredictable British weather.... I am trying to decide between a cheaper showerproof mac that is thinner and folds really small, like this one
www.matalan.co.uk/womens/shop-by-category/coats-and-jackets/s2587729/pack-a-parka
or a proper waterproof one that is more expensive and doesn't fold as small, like this
www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_Lightweight_Packable_Rain_Coat/pp/P_30274.html?cgid=5732
I was leaning towards the cheaper/smaller one as it takes up less space but not sure if it would actually keep me dry! I've had Lands End coats before and know they are good and do the job properly.

Or can anyone recommend anything else? I want something mid thigh length rather than a short jacket. (though i am only 5ft 2 so what is short on everyone else may well be longer on me!) Thanks :-)

Coastingit Fri 19-Jun-15 12:48:18

I really like the Matalan one! The Land's End one says 'water-resistant' not waterproof so not sure it's worth the extra, may be no more protective than the cheaper one - and not as nice IMHO.

HelenF350 Fri 19-Jun-15 12:54:10

I used a matalan one a few years ago at a festival and got drenched! My advise is go with the one that is actually waterproof.

Ausflug Fri 19-Jun-15 13:12:37

I have a Trespass Packa jacket. It has lasted me over 10 years, so certainly does the job - in fact I'd quite like to get a new one as I am bored of the colour, but can't really justify it because the one I have is still in such good condition - it is fantastically waterproof (but, yes, neither stylish nor beautiful!)

It isn't mid thigh, but does almost cover my bum, and I am tall, and usually struggle to get coats that are long enough, so maybe it would be OK.

Wenchelda Fri 19-Jun-15 18:49:36

Any opinions on this trespass one which says it is properly waterproof?
www.trespass.com/womens-compac-mac-02837

victoryinthekitchen Fri 19-Jun-15 19:22:56

picked up a pale blue one with white polka dots from primark (sorry no link) for next to nothing and it is perfect for us shorties smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now