very hard wearing work handbag

(21 Posts)
babybarrister Thu 18-Jun-15 22:32:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Truckingalong Fri 19-Jun-15 05:01:49

Modalu Pippa

yakari Fri 19-Jun-15 05:18:02

I have longchamp
Granted it is very expensive but I have used it every single day for about 18 months so cost per use is getting lower. The leather is in fabulous condition and the straps strong.
Its been thrown around planes, office meetings and hotel rooms. I put my mac into a sleeve and its perfectly safe and helps give a bit more structure for files etc. The bag doubles up in evenings/weekends if I'm on trips.

lavendersun Fri 19-Jun-15 06:20:20

www.tusting.co.uk/for-her-ladies-leather-bags/leather-handbags/kimbolton-leather-tote-black

My oldest Tusting bag is nearly 20 years old and has been used solidly for 10 of those. I have just bought the above in brown, it is lovely.

Stick to their 'atlantic' leather - it will go on and on. I now have five of their bags and have given up on anything else. Have Mulberry, Tods, Loewe, bags etc., etc.. Nothing is as nicely made and durable as Tusting.

They even repaired the 20 year old one for me last year.

Baies Fri 19-Jun-15 06:34:54

The LK Bennet 'Josie' bag fits your criteria. I'm currently using it and love it

AmberNectarine Fri 19-Jun-15 07:17:17

Yes I think here is where you need to consider classic leather brands over fashion brands so Tusting is a good recommendation. Also look at Aspinal - they have some lovely totes which seem very durable. They'd be my first port of call if I was looking for a new work bag.

FrugalFashionista Fri 19-Jun-15 07:28:42

Longchamp calf leather bags are almost indestructible.

Dollydewdrop21 Fri 19-Jun-15 07:32:37

Longchamp all the way! Very classic and beautifully made. Bought a second hand one off ebay which lasted about 18 months and now just bought my first brand new one. They are strong and last for ages.

StaceyAndTracey Fri 19-Jun-15 08:09:59

I'm afraid I would expect a bag to last for more than 18 months .AIBU?

msrisotto Fri 19-Jun-15 08:12:06

I've had my Radley leather work bag since 2010. It has lasted incredibly well as it gets punished all the time, stuffed full of heavy things, slung around the place!

HeadDreamer Fri 19-Jun-15 08:14:29

My cheap bag from tk maxx is still very new looking after 18 months. Would expect a longchamp to last longer honestly.

Even my gap bag before lasted 3 years.

HeadDreamer Fri 19-Jun-15 08:16:09

So no staceyandytracey YANBU. I hope she meant 8 years?

HeadDreamer Fri 19-Jun-15 08:19:10

And my pink lining changing bag is still kicking around after 4.5 years. That's really abused. With nappies, thrown in playground and mud. Hung off the pushchair, etc. All for around £75.

I wonder what people define as long lasting for a bag now.

ThomasinaCoverly Fri 19-Jun-15 08:19:37

Osprey is good - I have a black leather tote from there that I bought second-hand on Ebay three years ago, and it's looking as good as new even though I punish it pretty hard (same profession as OP - I've been known to stuff a volume of Halsbury's Statutes in there).

yakari Fri 19-Jun-15 08:27:05

I assume she meant 18 months so far? I know mine is about 18 months old and looks like new

tethersend Fri 19-Jun-15 11:20:58

How big?

How smart?

Radley

Ismad

babybarrister Fri 19-Jun-15 17:59:24

babybarrister Fri 19-Jun-15 18:01:27

lavendersun Fri 19-Jun-15 18:30:59

Just remembered that I bought a shoulder clutch from here last year

www.pittardsonline.com/bags/c87

Not a massive choice though.

I always buy saddle and bridle leathers for longevity and use the same stuff on them that I use on all my tack.

I worked near the Bank of England for many years and used to buy from Pickett (also online).

lavendersun Fri 19-Jun-15 18:37:16

Just looked at Pickett, their range has changed a bit - I bought my first Tusting bag at Pickett on the Royal Exchange. I never liked their own bags, apart from their luggage bags (which are still going strong 20 years on).

Marylou2 Fri 19-Jun-15 19:25:49

Noooo! It wasn't me that needed a handbag.I hadn't even heard of Tusting but now I've ordered onegrin .They look gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now