Talk

Advanced search

reuse flowergirl dress at another wedding

(21 Posts)
Willow33 Wed 17-Jun-15 19:34:36

DD is 3 and was recently a flower girl and has a classic cream flowergirl dress. We are going to another wedding ( totally unrelated bridal party and guests) and I wonder if it's Ok for DD to wear the same cream dress. I am accessorising with a peach bolero / cardigan and accessories. DD isn't a flower girl this time.

Nevercan Wed 17-Jun-15 19:38:00

I would definitely grin

Kittykatmacbill Wed 17-Jun-15 19:38:37

If she isn't a flower girl, I don't think it's appropriate to go as a flower girl. Sorry. There are loads of jolly party dresses out there why limit yourself to cream?

ScrambledEggAndToast Wed 17-Jun-15 19:40:10

Go for it.

Christelle2207 Wed 17-Jun-15 19:44:23

I wouldn't dress them as flower girls
If they weren't. Someone did this at my friend's wedding, it was assumed they were actually flower girls and there were some awkward conversations. Best check with the bridesmile

Staywithme Wed 17-Jun-15 19:48:23

A photo would help me decide as what you call a flower girl dress might be different from other people's ideas.

AuntieStella Wed 17-Jun-15 19:51:00

If it's a dressy flower girl dress (especially in cream), then I don't think she should wear it if she's not a flower girl.

Willow33 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:13:03

Ok some good advice. It is a very dressy dress so DH is going to ask his cousin (bride's mum) what the colours are for the bridal party. I don't have the spare cash to buy another dress which is why I am hoping to reuse the dress.

WellErrr Wed 17-Jun-15 20:15:31

You could dye it? Cream to pale pink or similar should be quite easy and cheap?

PeppaPigStinks Wed 17-Jun-15 20:26:55

I was going to suggest dying it.

Hardtoknow Wed 17-Jun-15 20:31:34

I agree that she can't wear a "proper" flowergirl dress to another wedding unless she is a formal part of the wedding party or you have cleared it with the bride and groom in advance - and actually asked them rather than just the bride's mum. Knowing the colours of the wedding party isn't sufficient. It may be that the bride and groom have decided not to have flower girls meaning that other little girls closer to them than you are not in "proper" flowergirl outfits and it will cause upset if your DD is there masquerading as a flowergirl. Hopefully, the bride and groom won't care and your DD will be able to re-use her dress. If not, put a shout out on your local Facebook or Freecycle group.

morage Wed 17-Jun-15 20:36:04

Ask the bride, but make it clear that you will be fine if she says no.

Willow33 Wed 17-Jun-15 21:04:35

Yes will find out the score from bride. Doesn't dying clothes wreck washing machines? Remember doing it at uni and even after doing two empty cycles, my friend's clothes were effected by the dyeconfused

YesThisIsMe Wed 17-Jun-15 21:08:24

I dye clothes in the washing machine all the time. As long as you follow the instructions religiously and put a load of dark towels through on a hot wash for the first wash afterwards you should be fine.

However for a delicate party dress I'd probably hand dye.

I would use it, dress it down a bit with maybe a brighter cardi and sash? and not pretty party shoes. its nice seeing little girls dressed up for weddings. but yes send a pic to the bride to ask.

SayThisOnlyOnce Thu 18-Jun-15 09:48:24

TBH a 3yo in any summery frock at a wedding is going to look gorgeous and could be mistaken for a flower girl. Given that all a flower girl really has to to is 'look cute' it is hard to tell a 3yo guest from a 3yo flower girl.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 18-Jun-15 09:49:52

I wouldnt use it. But for the price of a box of dye you could get her a party dress from Primark/H&M/Asda.

DD is a FG in August and I wouldnt dream of sending her in that dress to another wedding.

PrimalLass Thu 18-Jun-15 10:08:32

A 3-year-old in a cream dress at a wedding is absolutely fine. Just buy a bright cardi, sash and shoes.

FadedRed Thu 18-Jun-15 10:18:26

Do people really care what a 3 year old wears to a wedding? Can you really not afford a tenner for a summer frock from supermarket or charity shop? Is it really necessary to get the bride's permission? I must live in a parallel universe hmm

morage Thu 18-Jun-15 10:48:45

FadedRed - I wouldn't care if I was the bride. But some will. Which is why it is simpler to just ask. If I was asked, I would say she can wear what she wants.
But I am surprised that you don't know that some people can't afford a tenner for a dress.

PrimalLass Thu 18-Jun-15 11:16:14

It's not just the affording a tenner - it's the pointless waste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now