Talk

Advanced search

Who else gets depressed about holiday wear? especially beach wear?

(26 Posts)
Laska42 Wed 17-Jun-15 19:04:06

Im just having a whinge , but I knew I'd put on a bit of weight so its only my fault . Anyway thought id try a tankini ..

A Very Bad idea indeed , looks worse than a bikini .. its going back ..

I'm 57 , a size 12/14 D cup and big tummy because ive let myself go sad

I know European women dont seem to care so much , but am kind of depressed about going on ay now and especially going on the beach

Thats it really .. Whinge over ..

Marylou2 Wed 17-Jun-15 19:31:06

I'll join you for a bit of a companionable moan.I've got 7 weeks until holiday time and it's not looking good. I've bought a nutribullet and a skip load of vegetables today to see what I can salvage. Apparently tankinis make people look worse as the eye is drawn to the expanse of fabric so smaller bikini bottoms look better than the big knickers types. Admittedly I've yet to embrace this in practice smile .

Laska42 Wed 17-Jun-15 19:48:59

btw I do realise that a) im not that big, just annoyed with myself, and b) its a first world problem.. im just feeling cross with myself.. I know ill have a good time when im there..

but yes tankinis .. Grr..

Laska42 Wed 17-Jun-15 19:51:25

marylou just think of me as a Terrible Warning.. 7 weeks is enough time to do something . (i just wish I had) 30day shred is good (mine looks so nice inits DVD case!!)

Ah well.. too late now im off in less than a week..

Marylou2 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:25:25

Laska I will use you as an inspiration.If I diet and shred for 7 weeks I'd be overjoyed to be the size you are right now! Get a spray tan, paint your toe nails a fabulous colour and enjoy a cocktail in the sunshine!smile .

Laska42 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:40:51

xx marylou I'm sure you will do it ..

OnlyHereForTheCamping Wed 17-Jun-15 20:43:18

Try a bikini. I look like a barrel in tankini and one pieces.

Have a lovely holiday!

Only1scoop Wed 17-Jun-15 20:47:11

I hate tankinis horrid things. I look worse.

Get a spray tan....a lovely supporting bikini ....halter necks are gorgeous at the moment. A beautiful wide brimmed hat and a floaty kaftan.

Have a lovely time

Melonfool Thu 18-Jun-15 00:08:43

I've always been depressed about holiday clothes and it's nothing to do with size - I am 47, 5'7", a size 12 (edge toward a 14 now and then), DD boobs, not had kids but do have a fat tummy. But I hate showing my body, won't even wear shorts and not keen on short sleeves, never wear sleeveless. Doesn't help that I don't like sun tanning so want to cover up anyway.
I just cannot imagine me ever frolicking around on a beach in a bikini. For some reason I own about three bikinis but I have def never worn two of them.
I agree that tanktinis look far worse though.
It's just confidence, not reality.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Thu 18-Jun-15 05:31:12

I'm in the Med now and there are local and foreign women of all shapes and sizes in bikinis and one-pieces as well as swim skirts and swim dresses. Your body shape sounds perfectly normal anyway.

While lots of women are just in swimwear, there are plenty with sarongs or kaftans on so you could do that when not in the water,

Have fun smile

CeeceeBloomingdale Thu 18-Jun-15 07:51:26

I was dress size 14 a month ago, I'm now a 12 and much more toned. I have slightly adjusted my diet but not much at all. I'm exercising for 30mins around 3 or 4 times a week. I saw definite improvements within a fortnight. If I'd dieted too it would have been even more dramatic but I have another 6 weeks to go so haven't gone all out

Pointlessfan Thu 18-Jun-15 08:01:26

I hate summer clothes, mostly because I'm very fair skinned and hate having to plaster on all the sun cream and I always have cold feet so I hate not wearing socks. I love it in September when all the lovely winter clothes and boots arrive in the shops.
Hi Laska btw! smile

AdventureBe Thu 18-Jun-15 08:20:55

Tankinis make even skinny people look like they've got an extra roll of fat round the middle, not flattering on anyone IMO.

I find I worry about these things but once you get there you realise you're far from the worst sight on the beach grin and get on with enjoying yourself.

I've stopped buying special holiday clothes because once there I always end up wearing the same old thing all week - whatever's most comfortable in the heat.

Vintagebeads Thu 18-Jun-15 09:04:58

pointless, I thought I was the only one,I am also allergic to all but the bank breaking suncreams,roll on Sept grin
Op, agree with others a good halterneck and high bottoms ,and kaftans are your friend.
I brought a tankini in a sugar pink hmm I looked like uncooked sausage, I don't think they are anyone's friend tbh.

ShipShapeAhoy Thu 18-Jun-15 09:10:20

I'm a size 8 and I know some people think I have a good body but I hate having to show it. It's showing my arse I hate the most. I've avoided going swimming for years because of it. I had to go abroad with dp's family once and I dreaded spending time around the pool. I want baggy shorts... Maybe I should buy some... Why has that not occurred to me?!

TheFallenMadonna Thu 18-Jun-15 09:15:24

We go to Brittany on holiday. The sea is freezing,and I wear a wetsuit. I look ridiculous. A bikini would probably be more flattering...

happystory Thu 18-Jun-15 09:15:50

One tip I remember from being on a Med beach was having a big scarf (those ones you can get everywhere for about a tenner with birds/ butterflies etc.) it covers a multitude of sins, you can put it round your waist like a sarong for going to lunch etc and it's great for covering up if you feel yourself burning. Easy to wash if nes. Agree about tankinis, have never had a flattering one, swimsuits are better

OnlyHereForTheCamping Thu 18-Jun-15 10:48:35

Fallenmadonno, you big wuss! I swim in the sea of brittany in my bikini!

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Thu 18-Jun-15 11:00:38

Tankinis suit no-one! Or at least anyone who does look ok in one would probably look better still in a one piece or bikini.

If you'll feel self conscious walking round, there are loads of nice cover ups like sarongs, kaftans or kimonos. I'm very pale so even if I wasn't carrying weight, I'd still not walk around without a cover up.

On your Sun lounger or in water - do not give it a second thought! If you're lying down your stomach will flatten anyway and no-one will see it in the water.

But you do know most people won't care? They'll either be too bothered about their own belly or they genuinely will not give a stuff.

I'm bigger than you but I've never had a bad beach photo taken - I think I look better in a swimsuit and kimono than I do in my usual skinny jeans & tunic combo - I'm sure there must be done optical/expectation illusion at work...remember on QI when they were talking about horizontal stripes actually bring slimming because your brain expects them to make people look bigger and so does an adjustment (or something like that!)

code Thu 18-Jun-15 11:12:40

Women's summer clothes are just horrid. Men are lucky, all their stuff is baggy and comfortable. I avoid hot places now and would happily migrate to colder climes during these months.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Thu 18-Jun-15 11:45:18

Nothing to stop you wearing baggy comfortable clothes. I wear loose stuff in the heat (shorts, skirts, blousy tops or linen shirts) as I boil in tight clothes.

AdventureBe Thu 18-Jun-15 15:16:56

My favourite beach swimwear is surfer shorts and a bikini top, if that helps ShipShape

hairhelpplease Thu 18-Jun-15 15:45:38

I am a 34gg and got two swimsuits in the sale from figleaves. They made me look pretty good!

tinkywinkyshandbag Thu 18-Jun-15 16:20:23

Another beach/swim wear hater here - have big boobs and am overweight (size 16/18). But my worst problems are psoriasis on my arms which make me very self conscious about short sleeves, and horrible varicose veins on one calf which means shorts are out. Well, there's not much I can do and the rest of the family love the hot weather and being by the pool and on the beach, they don't care what I look like so I am just focussing on making the most of it. I am eating well and going to the gym as much as possible, did kettlebells last night. I am also investing in a couple of reasonably decent swimming costumes (one piece) and an assortment of cover ups and sarongs. A couple of swishy maxi dresses for the evening, nice floaty tops, sparkly sandals, nice nailpolish. Good haircut (short) which means I don't need to spend ages faffing around. And I shall sit by the pool in the shade and read my book while the kids have a ball (older kids so thankfully they pretty much amuse themselves).

Laska42 Thu 18-Jun-15 18:01:31

I got a nice Lepel bra size bikini in the end..(sent the tankini back..Never again ! ) Yes tum is still big but i feel much better in it .

Kaftans and sarongs definately the way to go (luckily I have lots ) ..

Wobble over and Im starting to look forward to holiday now.. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now