Talk

Advanced search

Please talk to me about facial SPF

(21 Posts)
Methe Wed 17-Jun-15 18:59:45

I am olive skinned, tan incredibly easily and never burn. I don't wear SPF on my face ( or anywhere else) at the moment but I'm aware that unless I want to get old and have a face that looks like an old saddle that I ought to start. I'm 35.

My beauty regime is currently wash and moisturise and that's it. I'm using an olive oil moisturiser at the moment that I got on holiday which really suits my skin - it's ageneral one though, not a facial one especially. I have reasonably good skin, no wrinkles, no spots but I can see my pores now and my complexion can be uneven ( nose goes red!)

The beauty and suncream aisles in Asda haven't helped. I thought there would be rows of suncream especially for your face but apparently not.

What is recommended?

Euphemia Wed 17-Jun-15 19:14:13

Best get yourself to a larger branch of Boots - they have several.

I use La Roche Posay Antihelios.

AmelieinOz Wed 17-Jun-15 22:57:48

Agree with La Roche Posay
Neutrogena is also good

specialsubject Wed 17-Jun-15 23:24:16

you don't need special face suncream. It is beauty babble.

find something non greasy and put it on. Good Ambre Solaire deals at the moment, look on money saving expert.

Boots are INCREDIBLY expensive.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 18-Jun-15 00:02:09

I hate using ordinary suncream on my face, far too gloopy and greasy. I am a big fan of facial sunscreens designed for the Asian market, they're obsessed with sunscreen. Biore and Hada Labo are popular brands.

Zillions to choose from

AmelieinOz Thu 18-Jun-15 02:53:17

Agree with Asians being obsessed with sunscreen. smile I have been wearing one for more than a decade now. I mostly am bare-faced makeup-wise but will never leave the house without sunscreen.

Methe Thu 18-Jun-15 08:28:49

Thanks for all the responses smile do you wear it undertake up? Also, is is best to wear 15 or 40 or somewhere in between?

BumbleNova Thu 18-Jun-15 08:53:37

I wear this:

www.amazon.co.uk/Neutrogena-Clear-Skin-Sunscreen-Lotion/dp/B004D2826K/ref=pd_cart_rp_1_3_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RKDDC4VP5MY43BZNYWC

its awesome. so light you cant feel it on your face and very effective. I put it on before make up and leave it to dry so my makeup doesnt then bobble.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 18-Jun-15 11:13:17

What Mitzy said.

I find the La Roche Posay one too white, and I am very pale. It's also quite greasy. Tje superdrug one is really really greasy. They all leave me with spots after a day or 2 of use.

But thanks to a thread on here (baaaaa! ) I bought the Hada Labo factor 50 one and I love it. Good protection, fine on its own or under makeup not greasy, not spot-making, no white cast... Now my dilemma is whether to buy the same again or try a different one -the Biore one possibly. Of course, I'll likely buy both.

NB I think they contain alcohol so if your skin reacts to that, you might have issues. My skin is sensitive to lots, but I'm fine with this.

U2TheEdge Thu 18-Jun-15 12:55:34

I had been using ultrasun

Yesterday I bought the one from Estee Lauder.. daywear SPF 50

It is gorgeous. Not oily but moisturising. However, very expensive for the small amount you get. I probably won't be able to get it regularly but after trying a couple this is the best by far for my skin. I just need to be rich to carry on justifying it.

Ultrasun for the face is great but it is a little drying for me but would be very good for those with normal skin.

Don't put normal sunscreen on your face, unless you want to risk breaking out or looking oily, all sunscreens for the body are too oily for the face imo.

EmGee Thu 18-Jun-15 13:06:43

Careful about spending lots of money before trying!

I got a Caudalie one a few weeks ago and kept wondering why my eyes were weepy, stingy and sore. Only twigged it was the Caudalie sun screen when I forgot to put it on one day. Very annoying as it was about 23 euros.

I also use a Clarins one - can't remember the name - but it is in a very small white bottle and is slightly tinted. It can look chalky so you have to rub it in well. It is non-greasy though which is why I like it.

Agree with someone upthread who said LRP can be too greasy.

BritabroadinAsia Thu 18-Jun-15 14:28:55

Anyone tried Clinique City Block?

knittingbat Thu 18-Jun-15 20:37:41

Agree with pp who recommended Hada Labo! Great stuff. Had tried la roche posay, neutrogena, v expensive boutique brands - Hada Labo beats all.

Rexy Thu 18-Jun-15 23:14:09

I have developed Malaysia and I'm Asian so I never leave the house without SPF 50. There are 2 types physical and chemical sun cream. I've got one from Boots no7 which smells divine and doesn't leave my face white.ive just ordered a Biotherma one to help further dark spots appear.

Rexy Thu 18-Jun-15 23:15:09

I've developed Malasma...

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Fri 19-Jun-15 03:00:50

I love City Block but worth being aware it is slightly tinted so won't suit everyone

I also like Nivea and Neutrogena cheap as chips daily moisturisers with 15 SPF

Hazchem Fri 19-Jun-15 03:07:05

Those of you that wear sun cream everyday, do you reapply? And what other makeup do you wear?
So I'm not totally hijacking the thread I'm wearing moo goo sun cream at the moment and really

Hazchem Fri 19-Jun-15 03:08:13

... Liking it.

Kleptronic Fri 19-Jun-15 03:13:48

I've used City Block Sheer SPF 25 for ages and it does for me, although I'm pasty-faced pink toned so I can't vouch for any tint. It's good under makeup and I never burn. I'm reactive to stuff (revlon, avon, bourgeois, anything reasonably priced basically!) and Clinique stuff doesn't irritate me so I stick with it.

slightlyeggstained Fri 19-Jun-15 04:11:25

Hazchem - re: reapplying, I was wondering that too! Given that most body sunscreens require reapplying every couple of hours.

I used Boots Once spf 50 for face last year which didn't require me to reapply during the day as it's supposed to last 8 hours. I found it a bit heavy though.

StrawberryMojito Fri 19-Jun-15 04:19:19

Boots soap and glory factor 50 facial sunscreen is v good. Less greasy than laRoche Posay. About £15.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now