Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Skirted leggings - would you?

(55 Posts)
formidable Tue 16-Jun-15 20:26:58

Is this a huge fail? I'm being seriously tempted by the navy and grey leggings with the built in straight mini skirt here

I'm thinking a nice top and ballet flats for the summer. Have I lost my mind?

I'm a size 12, but not hefty and I've got nice legs smile

Purplehonesty Tue 16-Jun-15 20:42:52

I've seen people wearing this around here. Never realised it was a built in thing and always thought it looked nice but couldn't figure out where the long top part came from!

Go for it, might get some myself as I like wearing leggings but not loose long tops so it might be a good compromise

formidable Tue 16-Jun-15 20:48:08

That's what I thought.

I bet they're mega comfy. However I've been wanting to smarten myself up recently and I'm wondering if it's a step in the wrong direction...

What kind of t shirt or top would work?

DJThreeDog Tue 16-Jun-15 20:52:23

I think they look absolutely vile and like what twelve year olds wear to dance class.

Sorry!

thecrimsonpetal Tue 16-Jun-15 21:00:12

Sorry I'm with DJ, they are just grim! I remember skirted trousers years ago, a 90s thing I think?

MyPelvicFloorTrainsItself Tue 16-Jun-15 21:05:15

No.

Wotsitsareafterme Tue 16-Jun-15 21:16:49

I like them but only the straight skirts the flippy ones look really dance school.
I think it's a definite casual look and you still need a top that covers your waistband but ballet flats or sandals is what I will wear them with I quite fancy some

formidable Tue 16-Jun-15 21:17:04

Oh....

Sansarya Tue 16-Jun-15 21:19:40

Yep, I agree with everyone saying they look too dance-y...

formidable Tue 16-Jun-15 21:21:43

Even the ones with the straight mini skirts?

Madlizzy Tue 16-Jun-15 21:45:26

I like the ones with the straight skirts and have just ordered the grey and the black, so thanks for the link!

NomiMalone Tue 16-Jun-15 21:47:53

What the fuuuuuuu......

Bleurgh. They are an affront to the very words Style and Beauty.

TheReluctantCountess Tue 16-Jun-15 21:49:51

I would if I had the legs for it.

QueenBean Tue 16-Jun-15 21:53:39

Absolutely not, sorry!!

What do you want to achieve from this, can we help you find a not-so-horrible alternative?

Fit and flair dress, opaque tights and loafers perhaps?

juneau Tue 16-Jun-15 21:53:39

The flippy skirts look ridiculous (on a grown woman anyway), but the straight ones aren't too bad - if you have the legs! I know a 48-year-old mum and I've seen her in something like that and she looks good. Its a very casual look though, not something I'd wear if I was trying to 'smarten myself up'. More the kind of thing I'd throw on to do the school run or for slobbing around at home.

formidable Wed 17-Jun-15 05:36:08

Hmm I think I'll leave it then, thanks for the feedback!

I'm not really trying to "achieve" anything smile. I've been known to make some bad fashion errors (luckily I have a very honest mother who is quite fashion savvy...), style is something I find quite tricky.

Are loafers back in then? My summer uniform has been maxi dresses or easy to wear shorter dresses with sandals or ballet flats - at least with a dress you don't have to worry about the concept of "goes with".....

One thing though, I am very pot bellied. A maxi dress can make me look pregnant. At the moment I have thought of no way round this other than sucking my stomach in constantly....

TealFanClub Wed 17-Jun-15 06:08:57

God get something with a waistband.

formidable Wed 17-Jun-15 06:24:24

Really? Why?

Runningupthathill82 Wed 17-Jun-15 07:09:41

Skirted leggings?! Just no!!
It's like the done-to-death tunic and legging look... only sloppier and even more hideous. Sorry.

QueenBean Wed 17-Jun-15 08:13:21

Apologies OP - achieve was the wrong word! I meant, what occasions would you be wearing these for, and can we suggest some nicer alternatives?

Pumpkinette Wed 17-Jun-15 08:22:31

I wore that type of thing as a teenager in the 90's (with platform -moon boots- trainers) No way I'd do it again.

However, apparently trousers with skirts and dresses are a thing in fashion just now. I read it somewhere - perhaps in a magazine - and loads of designers are going with this trend for summer.

Pumpkinette Wed 17-Jun-15 08:24:27

Score out fail moon boots

HellKitty Wed 17-Jun-15 08:31:03

90s!!
I had some. You have to start doing high kicks, flick the 'V' sign and bang on about Girl Power.

formidable Wed 17-Jun-15 08:39:44

I was thinking just for casual weekends.

In the warm weather I'm in dresses and flats with a cardi, in cooler weather jeans with a t shirt and cardi.

I have a toddler and I'm a teacher. I want to look effortlessly thrown together smile. I'm envious of the Boden catalogue models but I'm neither thin nor rich and I hate ironing....

I think I need an intervention. I always seem to buy the wrong things, then I look back a couple of years later and cringe.

ImGoingForATwix Wed 17-Jun-15 08:43:26

Oh god I remember these as a teen in the 90s!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: