Talk

Advanced search

Shoe sizes

(3 Posts)
blueistheonlycolourwefeel Tue 16-Jun-15 13:18:42

I have wide feet and am a 7.5 or 8.
A few years ago like 20 but I hate saying that as I feel really old! a European size 41 was a 7.5 and a 42 was an 8. So why has this changed? Why when I order an 8, do I get a 41??! They're often too small and clearly designed for dainty little skinny feet.
I'm looking for ages for my wedding and it's driving me mad!!

sansucre Tue 16-Jun-15 17:21:44

No, you're mistaken, a 41 has always been a size 8.
I used to have a Saturday job in a shoe shop (Pied a Terre) when I was 18 (so 22 years ago!!) and we rarely if never had any size 41s! 40, a UK size 7 was the largest we did and back then we only ever had one of two pairs in this size as it was a rare thing that anyone needed that size!

Spanish shoes often came up a little bigger which is why they were sometimes labelled as a half size, and Italian shoes always came up slightly smaller.

I think half sizes are rarely these days in cheaper high street brands but if you're willing to spending money, they still exist.

Also, women's feet spread/get bigger as they age, so chances are you've gone up a size anyway and why you're having problems finding shoes that fit! smile

flightywoman Tue 16-Jun-15 19:23:19

I agree with Blueis - I've been an 8/42 for 35 years and now I get told I'm a 9! I AM NOT A 9.

Actually I had my feet measured recently and one is a 7 and the other 7.5, but they are wide so I have to generally buy an 8.

My feet haven't got bigger, if anything they've got a little smaller, it's the sizing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now