Talk

Advanced search

Please help me dress for summer

(10 Posts)
Spindelina Tue 16-Jun-15 09:14:56

I need some help with summer work clothes.

I need to be presentable, but not very smart. I need to wear closed shoes (for safety - there's stuff around that I wouldn't want to tread on in sandals - rather than any smartness requirement). I am in a technical role which requires a bit of physical effort, so need clothes I can move in. I cycle to work, and I'd rather not have to change when I get here.

I'm pear shaped, with huge thighs and a small waist and bust. Size 8 top, 10 arms, 10-12 skirts, 14 trousers ish. I've been losing weight, and intend to carry on doing so, so I haven't got lots to spend only to replace it if it gets too big.

Normally, I live in A-line skirts of varying lengths, which are very flattering to my figure and keep my thighs hidden, and I can cyle in. In winter, I wear tights and shoes/boots; in summer I wear sandals.

But, I can't wear sandals in my current job. So I need either some shoes that are going to be really comfy without tights and will go with my chunky ish A-line skirts (think Fat Face and Seasalt) but still be worky, or maybe some ideas for trousers or even capris that will go over my thighs.

Budget is around £40 for shoes that
will last, or £20ish for a pair of trousers etc.

Any help appreciated!

Pantsalive Tue 16-Jun-15 11:29:47

Would you wear something like brogues? It might also be good to have a look through the blog to see if you like any of the other outfits she wears to give you ideas.

The other possibility could be a loafer.

JillBYeats Tue 16-Jun-15 11:34:13

I wear ballet flats - closed but flattering with skirts

Pantsalive Tue 16-Jun-15 11:35:45

Perhaps trousers like this?
I'm a similar shape to you and I had a nice pair of M&S khaki 7/8th linen trousers that I wore with a long cream chiffon shirt and a pair of ballet flats but I think that, perhaps, sounds smarter than you need to be.

Spindelina Tue 16-Jun-15 13:30:17

I like the idea of linen trousers / ballet flats (could go with a more casual jersey top to tone it down a bit). M&S often have wide leg styles too. Might pursue that. The Asos ones you linked to look too narrow at the knee - my thigh fat sort of hangs down a bit, so just above the knee is where trousers usually fail me.

Not so sure about the brogues. I think they'd feel out of place on me. Too "fitted". And ballet flats would be a bit too dainty with a knee/calf length skirt?

Loafers are a definite maybe. Daft question: would you wear pop socks?

What about some sort of canvas shoes? I wouldn't get away with trainers, but boat shoes might work? Or even black canvas lace ups, if I could find some with black soles. I could wear black trainer socks with them.

Pantsalive Tue 16-Jun-15 17:16:07

I'm with you on the brogues being too much shoe. I couldn't wear them but I really like them on others.

I think you definitely can wear ballet pumps with skirt. I have a couple of slightly longer ones with a bit of swish and think of it as my ballet teacher look. I do sometimes worry about that tiny feet on a hefty thing look but I just get over it smile

For a couple of years I had good wide linen trousers from Sainsburys. Not sure if they're doing them this year. I do like the look of wide trousers, more fitted top and loafers. Wear them with a pair of those tiny pop socks.

If you looking for black soled lace ups, all the young peeps go for Vans. They're good because they're a little bit chunky. Not quite sure what you'd wear them with though.

Spindelina Wed 17-Jun-15 09:32:58

Well, I bought a pair of cropped linen trousers (http://www.next.co.uk/g4d2128s6) and a pair of cheap navy boat shoes from Tesco. Waiting for store delivery for both. If they work out, I'll get something that's more likely to last.

Spindelina Wed 17-Jun-15 09:37:10

Also, what's the difference between loafers and boat shoes? They seem to have the same basic shape?

Pantsalive Wed 17-Jun-15 11:34:11

That sounds like a good outfit and very practical for anything physical you need to do. And, as you say, you could get an upgraded version of both if you really like them.

I think the difference between loafers and boat shoes is traditionally the soles - boat shoes are more likely to be rubber and more grippy. Also boat shoes are generally a bit more casual.

I was thinking that a closed toe sandal would also work will with your skirts and be a bit more chunky than ballet shoes. Something a bit like this or this but I can't find any quite like what I have in my mind.

Spindelina Wed 17-Jun-15 14:14:59

Glad you approve!

I need sides to my shoes really - I'm more concerned about stepping in something than dropping anything on my toes. Thanks anyway, though.

I'll let you know how I get on when everything turns up - the cropped trousers have got quite a long lead time on them, mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now