Talk

Advanced search

Dark underarm shadow. Any suggestions?

(19 Posts)
sonata1 Sun 14-Jun-15 23:14:46

My DD has dark hair and cannot rid her underarms of a dark shadow after shaving/cream hair removal. She is getting married soon and is worried about people noticing her underarms in her strapless dress. Does anyone have any suggestions, if not to get rid of the shadow, then to minimise it ?

tabulahrasa Sun 14-Jun-15 23:26:33

Waxing leaves them without a shadow - it blooming hurts though and only lasts a few days IME. (Is also dark haired)

ChishandFips33 Sun 14-Jun-15 23:31:23

Epilator! After a few goes the hair becomes thinner and the experience far less painful. The hair tends to grow at differents rates which lessens the pain too as there's less to remove
Try not to shave in between she tells herself!

sonata1 Sun 14-Jun-15 23:34:49

She decided to exfoliate tonight and then did 2 rounds of Veet. Needless to say she is now in agony despite liberal application of Aloe Vera gel. Doh !

PartyFops Sun 14-Jun-15 23:40:00

Could she try a face hair bleach type thing for the wedding?

Minshu Sun 14-Jun-15 23:44:50

How soon? A couple of treatments of Philips Lumea got rid of my armpit shadow smile (and bikini line plucked chicken look). But that would mean 4-6 weeks...

GaryBaldy Mon 15-Jun-15 00:00:21

YY to epilator, hurts like buggery the first few goes, but then leaves satisfyingly hairless pits behind with no 5 o'clock shadow.

Ijustworemytrenchcoat Mon 15-Jun-15 00:22:53

Have epilators improved? I last used one around 15 years ago and it was agony and not even effective, I used to be left with patches. Could not have used it on my underarms.

LettuceLaughton Mon 15-Jun-15 01:04:51

Are you / she sure it's a 5 o clock shadow situation rather than an 'issue' with pigmentation?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 15-Jun-15 06:03:46

MUA apply foundation to even out skin tone under the arms.

Personally I'd leave well alone,I doubt anyone will notice and it's not like she'll be walking around with her arms in the air all day.

GaryBaldy Mon 15-Jun-15 09:00:16

Ijust yes! I bought a cheap one initially to see if I could cope with the pain and then got a Braun Silk Epil, it is so much less painful.

MyNameIsSuz Mon 15-Jun-15 09:07:57

On the advice of a similar thread on here a while back I bought a whitening deodorant from Amazon - waxing helped but only so much as the skin was also darker there. It actually worked!

ChablisChic Mon 15-Jun-15 09:16:40

An epilator certainly solved this problem for me - definitely worth the pain!

sonata1 Mon 15-Jun-15 18:35:15

It is deffo a 5 o'clock shadow. I'll tell her about the Lumea. Suz...what was the name of the deodorant please?

Bonsoir Mon 15-Jun-15 18:39:18

Waxing or, better still, laser removal.

villainousbroodmare Mon 15-Jun-15 18:47:35

Veet is the work of the devil! So sorry for her with her blazing sore underarms now...
Waxing or epilating is the way to go. When is the wedding?

FireCanal Mon 15-Jun-15 18:53:24

Yes, Lumea if she can swallow the upfront cost. It's got rid of my underarm shadow completely and it's easy and painless. Well worth the cost IMO, I wouldn't be without it now.

MyNameIsSuz Mon 15-Jun-15 18:58:12

Sonatas, it was just a Dove roll-on but from Thailand I think. Probably ill-advised but it worked and didn't do any harm. I think I just searched for whitening deodorant. It was a thread on here that clued me in to its existence!

ALittleLemonTwist Mon 15-Jun-15 19:24:29

Can I ask those who have used the lumea whether you need to leave some time after having a bath/shower before zapping? Not sure from the instructions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now