Talk

Advanced search

please help me help my daughter

(15 Posts)
woollyjo Sun 14-Jun-15 20:46:23

My lovely 8yr old has dark hair and olive skin. She has quite a lot of dark hair on her top lip which her class/school mates have started to comment on. I always said if this became an issue for her I would help her sort it yet I have very different colouring to her so limited experience to help her. I bought some Jolene cream bleach but the test patch was immediately too much for her sensitive skin. Does anyone have any advice on more gentle products please?

playingup Sun 14-Jun-15 21:05:53

I had the same problem when I was your daughters age, and that's when I started plucking. Then as I got older I tried other things (hair removal cream, waxing, threading)

Not sure if you want to go down that route but it worked for me.

I really feel for your daughter, it's not a nice thing to be teased about.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 14-Jun-15 21:05:58

Oh bless her, dd is 11 but we are in Italy, and of course a lot of the girls are much darker than she is and have the same issue. I have heard the other mums talking about waxing, maybe take her to a proper salon and ask advice?

(I have just helped dd shave her legs for the first time this week! Bikini line next which I am rather wibbling about, and may take my own advice and take her somewhere!)

LynetteScavo Sun 14-Jun-15 21:12:30

Jolene stings like hell.

Try boots own ( I think they do a sensitive) or Boots sensitive hair removal cream.

paxtecum Sun 14-Jun-15 21:14:23

I pluck my moustache, though waxing would probably be better.

libertychick Sun 14-Jun-15 21:17:03

Wax or thread. Both painful though especially first few times.

playingup Sun 14-Jun-15 21:18:17

Threading is best in my opinion. Yes, painful. But so clean and will not leave a trace.

Cocolepew Sun 14-Jun-15 21:20:53

Nair facial cream for sensitive skin. My dd has used it since she was 8.
Do it at the weekend (in case of redness) and smear sudacream over the skin afterwards.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sun 14-Jun-15 21:21:36

Thread don't wax. Lip waxing on sensitive skin causes thread veins (speaking from bitter experience). It fucking hurts though.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sun 14-Jun-15 21:23:09

Spider veins not thread veins. Brain clearly not working!

OvertiredandConfused Sun 14-Jun-15 21:23:52

Take her to a reputable local salon and ask their advice.

My DD has been having her legs waxed since she was 9 or 10 and we've had her lip done a few times (it seems to need it less already now and she's still not quite 14)

Well done for doing this. Girls can be so cruel

woollyjo Sun 14-Jun-15 21:58:00

Thanks for your advice all, I was teased about things I couldn't change (glasses, hair colour, siblings). I'll be buggered if dd will get teased about something I can change.

WheresMeJumperOhNo Sun 14-Jun-15 22:03:38

You could try buying her an epistick that she could maybe use herself and at her own pace, rather than someone else plucking at her skin? They are really easy to use.

ScarlettDarling Sun 14-Jun-15 22:19:43

I've just posted on another thread recommending an epistick like the previous poster mentioned. It's a bit uncomfortable but really quick and easy to use.

MadisonMontgomery Sun 14-Jun-15 22:29:40

Jolene is awful, it hurts like anything. I use Nair bleach - it's in a purple box, 2 tubes that you mix in a proper tray rather than crappy Jolene powder. I have really sensitive skin & it does sting a tiny bit at the end, but I wash it off with Cetaphil & slap moisturiser on straight away & it is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now