Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

does my finger look fat In this? (ring)

(30 Posts)
haroldsfakebluetits Sat 13-Jun-15 12:25:51

So I have seriously chubby hands. My wedding band and engagment ring have thin bands. I am having some jewellery made and I chose a thicker band. Jeweller has just dropped a silver band around for me to wear in the thickness and width I had specified to check I like it before we forge ahead with gold

But my first thoughts are .. my fingers are too fat for this style. My finger has a muffin top fgs! grin but I have always been over critical of my chunky digits and may be over reacting.. my nails are currently very short and not the longer shellac'd version that helps them look better.

So. Am I too fat for a band this thick? I'll be wearing this ring a lot so I want to be sure.

BreadmakerFan Sat 13-Jun-15 12:30:49

It's more that the ring looks a bit tight.

MsBojangles Sat 13-Jun-15 12:33:00

Maybe try the next size up?

paxtecum Sat 13-Jun-15 12:33:33

Thinner band would be better.
That one doesn't look very comfortable.

ZaraW Sat 13-Jun-15 12:33:49

I think it also looks a bit tight. I feel really uncomfortable in the heat when my fingers swell so tend to buy my rings a half size larger to accommodate for this.

haroldsfakebluetits Sat 13-Jun-15 12:37:37

The ring is the right size, can slide it on or off easily but that bit of my fingers is really squishy so will always look like that I think.

It feels comfortable. ... but doesn't look right does it?!

Oly4 Sat 13-Jun-15 12:45:41

I think thinner bands are more elegant

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Sat 13-Jun-15 12:55:17

i think it looks great - nicely balanced

penguinsaresmall Sat 13-Jun-15 13:00:07

I think you need a thinner band - the thicker the band, the more flesh is squeezed out each side of it iykwim...

Chottie Sat 13-Jun-15 13:01:03

I think it is also to do with finger length. I have shortish fingers too and thinner rings do look more elegant. I would only wear an engagement and wedding ring for this reason (although I would love a diamond eternity ring).

pinkfrocks Sat 13-Jun-15 13:01:29

I think it looks 'pudgy'. If you have fat fingers then a thin ring- no more than 3mm- would look nicer. You could also think about the style- a court style with rounded edges and sides will be more slimming than a flat ring.

Like this

ZaraW Sat 13-Jun-15 13:06:20

If it fits properly then yes a thin band would look better.

florascotia Sat 13-Jun-15 13:07:54

I agree about thinner bands often looking more refined, even on larger hands. The ring in your picture is also a bit 'flat'. Many traditional bands - known as 'court style' - have curved inner and outer surfaces that don't lie flat against the skin. Perhaps you might like to try one of them.

Here is a site that describes different ring profiles: www.serendipitydiamonds.com/uk/education/profiles-of-plain-wedding-rings

haroldsfakebluetits Sat 13-Jun-15 13:08:18

Have just been trying on my other rings and I agree with you all. This silver band also feels very heavy which is irrelevant as the real ring would be in gold but it feels too thick for my liking. Shame cos I really like it and would have kept it as a pretty spare or RHR.

Back to the drawing board. .

haroldsfakebluetits Sat 13-Jun-15 13:10:58

Oh yes it's purposely flat, the style of ring is more earthy chic than polished elegance. However as suspected I don't have the fingers to pull the style off. I long for long, slim fingers... sigh!

NowhereNow Sat 13-Jun-15 13:14:03

It does look a little tight- how does it feel when you bend your fingers? Did the jeweller make it in the same size as your thinner engagement and wedding rings or a bit bigger? I used to make silver jewellery and was taught that for wider bands you need to go up half a size or even more.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 13-Jun-15 13:15:56

Agree that a thinner style would look more elegant.

addictedtosugar Sat 13-Jun-15 13:19:52

Can we have a photo of your wedding band, to compare?? Does the same as my rings now I've put some weight on.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 13-Jun-15 13:24:40

It looks to tight but the width is fine imo. I prefer D shaped rings instead of flat on me though, I have similar fingers and it makes them look slimmer and less squeezed.

DinosaursRoar Sat 13-Jun-15 13:27:38

That's not a flattering style on you. Agree a thinner band with curved edges would look better. Sorry.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 13-Jun-15 16:36:18

Court (like the link in pinkfrocks post) or 'halo' which is even rounder (but I reckoned looked a bit like a curtain ring wink )

I couldn't wear my 5mm wedding ring , I kept getting really painful skin underneath, so got a 2mm heavy court ring which I love , and it sits nicely with my 2mm full band eternity.

gymboywalton Sat 13-Jun-15 16:40:14

a slimmer court ring would be much better

haroldsfakebluetits Sat 13-Jun-15 17:08:14

< Outself entirely >

Here's my wedding band and eternity ring. I don't currently wear my e.ring as it's been remodelled into somthing else.

Pantone363 Sat 13-Jun-15 17:14:56

First pic makes your fingers look fat (when they aren't!) and also looks uncomfortable.

Second pic looks much better

haroldsfakebluetits Sat 13-Jun-15 17:22:20

Comparing width the band seems to exactly the same as my two rings together which I wear happily daily. But they are lighter in weight and I guess don't compress the squidgy as much! ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now