Talk

Advanced search

Serums and moisturisers for an amazing face

(23 Posts)
Coastingit Fri 12-Jun-15 23:01:20

Recommendations please?

1. I double cleanse with Cetaphil and a clean wet flannel.

2. I Acid tone with Bravura calendula toner (13% glycolic / lactic acids) or Clean and Clear Blackhead Cleanser (salycilic acid, not sure of %)

3. Moisturise with Nivea (but need to switch to something lighter and non pore clogging)

Product recs for both a not too expensive hydrating serum and a basic moisturiser appreciated.

Kundry Fri 12-Jun-15 23:25:36

If all you want from your serum is hydration then Aldi Lacura.

If you want a bit more work on fine lines or pigmentation, but still hydrating then Hylamide or Hylamide Vit C.

Moisturiser - Cerave or Cetaphil. Both oil-free and non-pore clogging.

mowglik Fri 12-Jun-15 23:40:05

Id recommend balance hyaluronic 334 serum for hydration - nice and light and non sticky and seems to have a mild plumping effect on my skin

Coastingit Sat 13-Jun-15 03:48:28

Brill thanks both thanks

ChishandFips33 Sat 13-Jun-15 07:47:57

The aldi Lacura is fab...but I find it overly scented so use it on neck and décolletage

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 13-Jun-15 08:22:40

I have an Aldi one at the moment ( frosted tall flat bottle) but it stings my eyes if my face perspires (tropical moments) so I keep it for neck and jaw only.
It's good,, non greasy, hydrating. In summer I don't want cream on my face.

One I've bought repeatedly (on special offer) is the Soap&Glory in the silver cylindrical tube (Make Yourself Youthful) or the silver tube (MYY super serum)

Shop Sat 13-Jun-15 10:09:32

Serum - aldi lacura or superdrug hydrating serum

Moisturiser - cerave pm, really lovely and has ceramides, niacinamide etc

Gem124 Sun 14-Jun-15 09:05:51

I bought Boots Time Delay serum a couple of weeks ago and love it.

Coastingit Sun 14-Jun-15 20:14:48

Thanks all! Cerave PM looks great, not sure it will be rich enough as it's a lotion but have ordered and will see. I guess anything richer will contain stuff like oils that will clog pores, and my priority is to declog them at the moment, and work out a way of keeping hydrated without clog.

Coastingit Sun 14-Jun-15 20:17:36

Tbh I'm fighting a losing battle, I'm getting 4-5 hours of broken sleep atm with month old baby so look like crap regardless of how good my routine is! But it's nice to attempt to look human...

Lovewearingjeans Sun 14-Jun-15 20:45:54

Vichy Aquilea Thermal is really good and doesn't clog pores. About £15 I think.

Shop Sun 14-Jun-15 20:55:05

coast the cerave pm isn't rich as such (like you say its a lotion & it's oil free) but it is very hydrating.
I use a serum and/or oil with it mostly though as that's what I like to do but it could be enough on its own unless you have very dry shin.
I'm in the same boat with sleep. & baby so know how you feel smile

Kundry Sun 14-Jun-15 21:04:49

If you are have problems with pores being clogged you prob don't need a 'rich' cream as rich usually = oil. It feels rich but can be made of cheap ingredients. Cerave is v hydrating and full of what Beautypedia calls skin identical ingredients, mainly lots of ceramides so it hydrates and replenishes but it won't feel like a traditional rich cream.

Coastingit Sun 14-Jun-15 21:18:41

Kundry - I know the Nivea is badly clogging my pores, but my skin is so dry and thirsty in the winter months that it's the only moisturiser that feels comfortable on my skin! I have Avene Hydrance Riche Optimale cream on tonight and it feels ok, I'm trying to wean myself off the Nivea. Hopefully good balanced skincare will sort my dry skin - or dehydrated, whatever it is - out. All I know is that my skin looks lined and creased in the morning if I don't use it, especially round the eyes - and soft and smooth and non wrinkly if I do. But the pore clogging is a deal breaker, sorry Nivea. Maybe I'll keep it as an eye cream actually.

Greengardenpixie Sun 14-Jun-15 21:47:06

Nivea always makes my skin look great in the morning - proper plumped up! It always helps my scraggy neck!

CookiecutterShark Sun 14-Jun-15 22:05:03

I find my skin is much better in the morning if I put bio oil on before bed. Not sure if it's designed to be used this way, but I find it great. I cleanse with a nivea face wash, then use a nip & fab toner followed by l'oreal vevety soft toner then finally follow it all up with a few drops of bio oil (no moisturiser at night) - wake up to lovely soft skin.

Orangedandelion Mon 15-Jun-15 22:54:06

My mum uses Nivea soft in a white pot these days instead of the Nivea,blue pot she always used to use. I think it's for the body not just the face but she likes it and has great skin.

My friend who has dry skin swears by bio oil in the evenings on her face and days lots of her work friends use it.

Orangedandelion Mon 15-Jun-15 22:54:52

*says

EthelCardew Mon 15-Jun-15 23:02:01

I second Vichy Aqualia Thermal serum - absolutely lovely to use, extremely hydrating and works well with Cetaphil cleanser. It makes my dry skin feel so comfortable.

ChishandFips33 Tue 16-Jun-15 07:33:07

Nivea soft is lovely - less greasy than the blue tin. If I need a blast of moisture, I use this before bed

Orangedandelion Tue 16-Jun-15 07:33:41

Yes I found that cetaphil,as much as I love it is not so great at removing all serums and def not for any pm cleanse unless you have been barefaced with just moisturiser all day.

Coastingit Tue 16-Jun-15 17:38:18

Orange - I find Cetaphil fine for PM cleanse but I do use a flannel with it and double cleanse if I'm wearing makeup / sunscreen. It leaves my skin feeling not as dry and thirsty as all other cleansers seem to too, without being oily.

Coastingit Tue 16-Jun-15 17:39:21

I don't like Nivea soft at all, it is too scented for me and leaves my face a bit tight and itchy - I use it as a hand cream - it's a quid in the pound shop for a tube.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now