Talk

Advanced search

Are expensive beauty products worth it?

(17 Posts)
Anothernumber99 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:50:24

Went to the hairdresser this week and she said I should buy some expensive shampoo and conditioner, £35 for both.
I've always bought cheap hair and beauty products up until now, I just tend to buy whatever is on offer in Boots. Is it worth spending more or just a con?

Sparkletastic Fri 12-Jun-15 21:51:21

Some are some aren't
Depends if you can afford it

Anothernumber99 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:02:45

I can't easily afford it, but could sacrifice other things if worth it. So I could spend less on clothes or treats and more on products

Kennington Fri 12-Jun-15 22:41:40

Generally no. I read the ingredients list.
Cheap and pricey they all contain glycerin, parrafinum liquidum, dimethycone, sunflower oil, sunscreen and some hyluronic acid plus tiny amounts of retinol-moisturisers anyway.
Shampoos are worse unless sulphate free but these can be cheap too. I find I can get most products for under 30 quid for serums and moisturisers and for shampoo no more than a fiver. I have a chemistry background which helps but anyone can get clued up on these ingredients and their Latin names which makes them sound better eg Shea butter.

ZaraW Sat 13-Jun-15 08:36:41

I personally like to go as natural as possible. I've started using Amla powder as a deep conditioner and it is also great for dandruff as well (its dried gooseberry powder and used a lot in India).

At my last appointment my hairdresser was raving about some oil from Davines which I tried and it is really lovely my hair is dry and curly and this makes it much less frizzy.

Murdermysteryreader Sat 13-Jun-15 08:38:48

Some Hairdressers gets bonuses and a percentage of the product value they sell. Some salons have competitions linked to this. So. Unless you feel flush I wouldn't bother.

MadisonMontgomery Sat 13-Jun-15 09:09:48

Skincare yes, shampoo no. I've never noticed much difference between expensive & cheap shampoos, so I just use Pantene.

chanie44 Sat 13-Jun-15 09:12:40

I think the most important thing is finding the right products for you, as opposed to price.

Only1scoop Sat 13-Jun-15 09:13:26

Not on haircare no

ZaraW Sat 13-Jun-15 09:21:57

I trust my hairdresser have been going for years and this is the first time she tried to sell me something as it was so good. She knows I usually buy items online as I can get a better deal. Yes, this oil is expensive and it has definitely improved my hair I will buy again.

Madbengalmum Sat 13-Jun-15 09:29:09

Some expensive haircare is lovely, but i never buy at salons, same stuff is much cheaper online, half price even.

AmelieinOz Sat 13-Jun-15 10:19:08

Shampoo, no. Conditioner, no. Hair treatment, maybe Kerastase but more expensive than that, no.

Facial wash, no. Moisturizer, depends, but cheapie works for me (Physiogel + rosehip oil).

QforCucumber Sat 13-Jun-15 10:20:19

My friend is a hairdresser and always recommends a shampoo then tells me to go on amazon for it as the markup in the salon is huge :-)

butterfly133 Sat 13-Jun-15 10:25:10

Did you ask why your hairdresser recommended these products? Exactly what benefits she feels they will give? I stick with the cheap stuff and now use leave-in conditioner, which is very good. I have very dry hair so leave-in makes more sense.

Gingefringe Sat 13-Jun-15 10:31:48

I bought some expensive Redken shampoo and conditioner at a salon and thought it was excellent. However, I then found the same shampoo and conditioner at TK Max sold in 1L bottles which were cheaper than the 250ml bottles sold at the hairdressers! i now have a about a year's supply of the stuff which I'm really pleased about.
So in answer to your question - some of the expensive stuff gives great results but shop around and you can probably find it cheaper - see if you can get a sample from the hairdresser first.

FrugalFashionista Sat 13-Jun-15 10:48:14

Usually not. My Wella HG shampoo costs less than 10€ per a huge bottle and I haven't found a better shampoo for my fine hair.

For more expensive products, a big chunk of the price goes to middlemen, advertising, PR. Often there are also incentives for the seller.

Floisme Sat 13-Jun-15 10:53:37

I think a good haircut is worth paying for. Products - no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now