why do people come onto Botox threads to tell people not to do it?

(13 Posts)
Browtox Fri 12-Jun-15 16:55:48

When they aren't asking IF they should, often, instead other questions about it?

The detractors are always so bothered. If there were a tattoo thread, i would think "hmm not for me' and not post...

squoosh Fri 12-Jun-15 17:26:09

That's the nature of internet forums I suppose isn't it? Some people who are v anti botox/anti expensive handbags/anti formula feeding will dive straight in to say 'halt right there!'

CatherineOfAbdomen Fri 12-Jun-15 19:10:15

Because the botulinum toxin is the most deadly substance on earth maybe.
Hardly comparable to a tatoo.

ZaraW Fri 12-Jun-15 19:11:55

Because it's a controversial subject, I was thinking at one time about getting fillers because I was getting obsessed with my naso labial folds. Someone pointed out that getting creases and wrinkles wasn't the worst part of ageing that sagging skin more of an issue. Also once you've started where do you draw the line? I know my myself I would move onto the next thing to "fix". Also is botox really safe and what are the long term implications of using it for a long time?

paxtecum Fri 12-Jun-15 19:14:57

Because some people have no idea that Botox is a deadly poison or that it can all go very wrong, they can be left looking quite not right permanently and it can cause major health issues.

holdyourown Fri 12-Jun-15 19:16:17

Maybe they feel if they don't comment these things will just get 'normalised' and other women could feel pressured (peer pressure) into doing it, so they want to just be a voice to say not everyone thinks this is normal?

Floisme Fri 12-Jun-15 19:26:54

Actually I agree about not jumping in if, say a poster just wants a clinic recommendation. But equally there are Botox users who interrupt when the op has just asked about face cream - do you have the same view about that?

On the whole I'd say the disagreements - provided we're civil to each other - are part of what makes Mumsnet interesting.

stargirl1701 Fri 12-Jun-15 19:28:01

It's a feminist issue. What's wrong with expressing your opinion?

ZaraW Fri 12-Jun-15 19:31:05

And surely a lively debate is much more enjoyable than people just saying botox is great that would just be dull.

PoppyBlossom Fri 12-Jun-15 19:40:54

It's an open public forum, you'll always have diverging opinion.

Coastingit Fri 12-Jun-15 20:22:54

The same reason you can't post anything about formula feeding without being lectured.

WickedCrip Fri 12-Jun-15 20:59:18

I have botox (for medical reasons) in a part of my body other than my face. I was referred to the NHS clinic that did it and the referring medic was shocked when I said "I don't know if I want that done" because apparently everyone with my condition has it (only I know loads who haven't). I know people it's gone wrong for and deciding to take it was a long, scary decision discussed with three medics.

When I see people talking about having it for cosmetic reasons I always want to tell them not to because to me it's medical. And it hurt.

WickedCrip Fri 12-Jun-15 21:03:54

That should read "have HAD botox..." I had it three or four times over about two and a half years but haven't for over a year now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now