Talk

Advanced search

What do people wear on New York?

(23 Posts)
IsItIorAreTheOthersCrazy Thu 11-Jun-15 22:50:47

Sorry if this isn't in the right section but I wasn't sure where to post.

I'm going on a trip to NY soon and we will be spending most of the time being annoying tourists seeing the sights. A lot of it will be done on foot.

I'm overweight (size 18) and at home live in dresses with tights and boots / dolly shoes or jeans and boots but not sure if any of that is appropriate?

Please help, When I asked DH about what shoes to wear he told me to take my hideous granny pink trainers hmm

PowderMum Thu 11-Jun-15 23:00:11

Shoes you can walk all day in, clothes that are comfortable.

I'm around your size in summer in New York I would be wearing shorts, walking sandals and a tshirts. In winter jeans and boots. If I'm sightseeing I don't go for stylish.

It's America you will feel small and not out of place whatever you wear.

AlternativeTentacles Thu 11-Jun-15 23:02:53

You can just wear clothes you own, you do not need a new wardrobe to go to NYC!

lurkingaround Thu 11-Jun-15 23:09:38

New York will be hot. So prob no to boots. Wear whatever is comfortable. NY is a melting pot of every fashion you can imagine, and whatever you wear you will not look out of place. Bring comfy cool clothes. And I'm with your DH on the trainers.

MorrisZapp Thu 11-Jun-15 23:11:24

This is your cast iron opportunity to need a whole new wardrobe whilst being in NYC.

It's the stuff of dreams!

SwedishEdith Thu 11-Jun-15 23:24:18

Definitely take your trainers.

IsItIorAreTheOthersCrazy Thu 11-Jun-15 23:52:21

Aah, I can just imagine DHs face when I agree to pack the bloody trainers!!

My main concern is feeling comfortable while not looking awful (as I imagine there will be lots of photos taken). I'm not usually shallow, honest, just not sure if we'll ever go again! But i definitely dont want to miss anything just because my nice looking shoes weren't comfy enough for all the walking!

Was also concerned about temperature - how warm is warm? What about a coat?

I'm planning on buying some things for me when I'm there but my budget doesn't stretch to a whole new wardrobe sadly.

SwedishEdith Fri 12-Jun-15 00:00:03

What month are you going. I didn't notice New Yorkers being particularly stylish. Dress for comfort and have a great time.

RedandYellow24 Fri 12-Jun-15 00:06:05

Tourists world wide same inform jeans t shirt trainers! Unless you are planning anything particular fancy you don't have to worry about it.

TroubleAttMill Fri 12-Jun-15 02:24:53

I'm in New York. If you are planning on visiting in the summer be warned it is hot hot hot and the humidity can make it super sweaty and stifling. Not at all unusual to hit high 80s or 90 degrees F (cant remember what that is in new fangled C, sorry). Bring loose, cool stuff. Flow-y sleeveless tops, looseish Bermuda shorts, loose maxi dress...that sort of thing. Bring a cardi for when inside as the AC can plunge you into arctic temps. Comfy sandals (or your trainers) are fine.
If necessary wink, pop over the (Williamsberg)bridge to Brooklyn and pick up some groovy stuff from the thrift shops there. Cheap as chips and better than Manhattan a brilliant vibrant area.

Tangofandango Fri 12-Jun-15 02:44:56

I was in New York last week. When we arrived the weather was warm and sunny 84f. The next day it started raining and didn't stop for 3 days! Thunder, lightning, the lot. It was still warm though. Take some kind of waterproof jacket that will screw up small enough to put in your bag. I only had flip flops to wear as my other shoes were going out ones, not walking about ones, so take shoes that will be comfy and waterproof, as squelching about in ffs wasn't much fun.

Otherwise, pretty much anything goes. Have a fab trip OP and enjoy NYC.

Want2bSupermum Fri 12-Jun-15 02:49:35

A coat?!? It was about 30C today. It's humid so you will be sweaty. Thin cotton dresses are the best. You will sweat so get navy and black. Nothing worse than a light grey dress with sweat marks down the back of it. I wore Capri pants for drop off this morning with a thin tshirt. Wouldn't wear trainers but sandals. I have some nice timberland walking flip flops.

musicalendorphins2 Fri 12-Jun-15 03:30:40

Comfortable shoes for walking, loose cool dresses. Broad brimmed light hat and good sunglasses. Light summer jacket and cardigans for when inside air conditioned buildings, and evenings. www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/summer-in-new-york

LikeABadSethRogenMovie Fri 12-Jun-15 03:41:46

Tomorrow I'll be wearing a simple Gap tshirt dress and Kenneth Cole flip flops if that helps? Am meeting a friend for lunch.

Out2pasture Fri 12-Jun-15 05:07:34

lots of uneven cobble used to expand the sidewalks etc. so a decent sole.
expect heat and humidity, so loose cotton, musical had great suggestions.
i enjoyed packing a few bright tops so dh and i could spot one another.
enjoy smile

Floisme Fri 12-Jun-15 08:06:36

Take some layers - it can be cooking outside and freezing inside cos of all the air con. Yes to comfy shoes. Other than that, I don't think you need anything special - most people I saw were dressed casually and pretty conservatively.

I was a bit disappointed in the shopping if I'm honest. I'm sure it's great if you have a designer budget but their high street is rubbish. But they did have some great consignment shops (second hand to you and me). Tokyo 7 (in or around the East Village as I remember) was my favourite. Have a great time.

Want2bSupermum Fri 12-Jun-15 13:39:54

London is far better for high street shopping than NyC in general. I get a lot from the wholesalers on the west side of 37th St. These are work dresses though and gowns for events (I pay about $70-90 for a gown that's $300-500 in the shops). If you work in a formal office they have good dresses for $50-90. Not all places are open to the public and expect most to close early on Friday and only some reopen on Sunday.

Heels99 Fri 12-Jun-15 13:44:10

I just got Back From New York
It ranged from19-32 degrees c.
Definitely trainers or other walking shoes.
Shorts or lightweight trousers that won't give thigh rub which you can get wearing dresses or skirts in that heat
Vest tops or loose tops.
Light jacket for evening if it gets cooler.
When it was hot, it was very hot.
Sunglasses and a hat.
Have a great time we loved it.

leedy Fri 12-Jun-15 13:45:04

Pretty much what everyone else said - comfortable shoes are a must, light clothes for heat/humidity, layers for dealing with aircon/freezing subway trains. Also do check the forecast for rain, if you have a v light packable rain jacket it'll be handy.

I was there last month (for work) and largely wore light dresses/trousers/tops with silver Birkenstock sandals, with a light scarf and a denim jacket for layering up. Nothing particularly different from how I'd dress on a hot day here, really.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 12-Jun-15 16:38:04

New York is hot in summer and very very humid.

I liked capri pants and skirts (long flowy ones). If you intend to do eg Bergdorf Goodmans, Tiffany etc then shorts will be out (don't know if they have rules like Harrods re no shorts but Tiffanys shouldn't care anyway!

Definitely shoes you can walk in (though grab a yellow taxi if you can cheap as chips). Also the tour buses are remarkably good. Head for South Street Seaport, Liberty statue ferry rides, Staten Island and Central Parks lakes etc... - eg the water will be cooler!

have fun smile

IsItIorAreTheOthersCrazy Fri 12-Jun-15 18:15:23

Thank you thank you thank you!

I'm going in 2 weeks and knew it would be warm, but not that warm! I'm going to pick through my wardrobe and put it all aside next week, I'm sure I have plenty of suitable stuff although will not tell DH this so he doesn't try and stop me buying more

grin

mirpuppet Fri 12-Jun-15 19:11:13

June in NYC can be VERY VERY warm check before you go.

mysteryfairy Sun 14-Jun-15 09:18:20

If it's any consolation native New Yorkers often wear the most hideous trainers e.g. barefoot ones with toes, bleurgh. I find Nike roshe run very comfortable and as they are mesh fabric relatively cool. Some in the sale at office and offspring in subdued colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now