Talk

Advanced search

Dandruff/flaky scalp

(18 Posts)
flashnorman Thu 11-Jun-15 20:13:27

I've had dandruff for the last few years since I had DD. I don't notice it so much when I have my hair highlighted. But have not had it coloured for a few months & it's really starting to get on my nerves! I've tried head & shoulders, t gel & other supermarket anti dandruff shampoos, but none of them are working. My head is not itchy, its just the flakes are v visible. Anybody got any tips to shift it?

lavendersun Thu 11-Jun-15 20:20:55

DH had what he thought was dandruff when we met and used H&S. I bought him a bottle of Aveda Rosemary Mint (not as expensive if you buy 1L bottles). He still uses it many years on.

'Dandruff' cleared up in a couple of weeks. A lot of those supermarket dandruff shampoos are detergent strength.

Try something gentle and moisturising - no expert at all but gentle +moisturising worked here.

flashnorman Thu 11-Jun-15 20:49:58

Thanks Lavender, I am googling that now smile

lavendersun Thu 11-Jun-15 20:52:58

Must add that the one he uses isn't gentle enough for my hair - I use something called shampure.

I think that what I was trying to say, badly, is that the 'dandruff' shampoos are harsher in a lot of the cases than something very gentle and moisturising, not necessarily buy what we use smile.

AMcoffeeLover Thu 11-Jun-15 21:07:54

I use any of the Jasons shampoos (Lavender being my fav) and my dandruff is 100% gone

flashnorman Thu 11-Jun-15 22:54:41

Thanks AMcoffee, will look into that one too.

Orangedandelion Thu 11-Jun-15 23:34:00

Yes any shampoo without SLS is what need.

AmyElliotDunne Thu 11-Jun-15 23:47:26

Dp has massive flakes sometimes. I bought him a L'Oreal for men anti dandruff shampoo recommended on here. It's a black and orange bottle. It smells a bit funky but definitely does the job, much better than H&S.

FabulousFudge Thu 11-Jun-15 23:51:59

T gel or moo goo only things that work for me

Kennington Fri 12-Jun-15 07:12:15

Dandruff is caused by a fungus so ensuring you dry your roots well after a shower and don't leave your scalp warm and wet should help.
I found Jason shampoos to be good too. That and fast drying my hair.

lavendersun Fri 12-Jun-15 07:59:09

I am going to try Jason shampoos on the back of this thread! I have naturally curly hair which I dry straight with a brush. Tends to dryness and a very very sensitive scalp/skin.

I have stuck with my current shampoo for 20 years because it works for my hair but Aveda is no longer SLS free (used to be!).

Does anyone use the jojoba - think that is probably right for me.

AMcoffeeLover Fri 12-Jun-15 12:26:29

Have tried them all! tbh the only difference i've found is the smells! They all leave my hair glossy, bouncy and fresh!

lavendersun Fri 12-Jun-15 14:22:41

Thanks AM, I think I might try jojoba first then!

ZaraW Fri 12-Jun-15 14:32:34

Amla powder mixed with hot water is great for dandruff. Leave on scalp for an hour to two hours and rinse out.

Ohanarama Fri 12-Jun-15 14:53:55

Head and Shoulders gives me dandruff! I'd throw it away immediately!! Go and get some of the Elvive men's anti dandruff shampoo with the orange lid, I got the tip from mumsnet and it's made my years of dandruff disappear!

lavendersun Tue 07-Jul-15 11:01:02

Reviving this thread to say that I have now used Jasons Jojoba four times - no itches, lovely shiny hair.

I am using a bit more than of the Shampure, I know that because the Aveda pump dispensers fit the Jasons bottles which is fantastic - I do think that you use less with a pump. Have to use 1 1/2 to 2 pumps of Jasons whereas I only used 1 of Shampure.

Not more expensive though because Jasons is only £12 for 1ltr as opposed to £30 for Shampure.

I didn't swap for cost though, just liked the sound of it and felt that my hair needed something different as the condition has changed recently (pre menopausal here!).

So thanks AM flowers, my 9 year old's hair is definitely more shiny too (used Shampure on her as well).

Indecisivejo Tue 07-Jul-15 11:16:37

Where do u buy Jason shamp n cond???

squishee Tue 07-Jul-15 13:00:43

Selsun Blue. Brilliantly effective against dandruff / itching and gentle for the hair and scalp. Worth the money. No-one's paying me to say that, honest!
You might have to get it at a pharmacy rather than Boots etc. The variant I use is called Replenishing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now