Talk

Advanced search

Pre holiday beautification

(24 Posts)
AndWhat Thu 11-Jun-15 20:09:39

I'm going on my first summer holiday in a long time and wondering what do I need to get booked in for at the local salon and how long before I go do I need to do it?
I'm thinking mani/pedi and leg/bikini/eyebrow wax. Anything else I'm missing?

Karbea Thu 11-Jun-15 20:51:07

I tend to do it as close to the day I'm going as possible.
You could have an eyelash tint and a fake tan.
And remember to body scrub before wax and whilst you are tanning on hols.

mowglik Thu 11-Jun-15 20:53:33

I had my hair cut just before I went - it was a really good cut and my hair looked good left out with no styling products, so was nice and quick to get ready

Also got full body wax and didn't have to worry (much) about body hair

I don't use it but maybe fake tan? And scrubs and creams to get lovely smooth skin before you go off on holiday

Vivacia Thu 11-Jun-15 21:09:12

Hang on - "full body wax"?!

WickedWax Thu 11-Jun-15 21:26:43

Where are you off to? Is it somewhere hot with a pool envy

How about a lash lift and tint - no need for mascara during the day. And a spray tan.

kiwidreamer Thu 11-Jun-15 22:33:03

I've booked leg wax, eyebrow tidy and tint, upper lip de fuzz and eyelash tint... Oh and gel polish for fingers and toes... All scheduled for the 3 days before we fly out... can't wait!!

Coastingit Fri 12-Jun-15 12:51:16

Gel mani pedi, great as it will last all week and not be chipped by the sand.

And cut out sugar and stick to high protein and fat, low carb for the week before you go, and drink loads of water. That way you can have a massive blowout in hols without getting bloated, especially if it's only a week.

And yes to getting your hair done so it looks good without too much faffing. Heat styling is a pita on holiday somewhere hot.

missmartha Fri 12-Jun-15 13:04:35

A good hair cut and lash and brow tint. I don't do anything else.

MyVegasBaby Fri 12-Jun-15 14:12:03

Does fake tan not come off if you go in a pool with chlorine? I like the idea of having one before I go away but worry I'll then go all patchy as it fades or I'll get paler as the holiday goes on!

AndWhat Fri 12-Jun-15 20:47:21

Going to Greece and the hotel has 4 pools wickedwax!!!
I'm not a fake tan kind of gal so don't need to worry about that but will sort the rest out sharpish

Madbengalmum Fri 12-Jun-15 21:15:08

Myvegas,
If you go for sttropez spray and make sure you moisturise well after you shower everyday it will last, it only fades if skin dries out. St tropez do a gradual tan moisturiser which is great for keeping the tan if applied after a shower in the evening. It should last a week, the express tan they do lasts longest.

Apatite1 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:47:28

St tropez spray, leg wax, bikini wax and pedi, my staple pre-holiday routine.

FoodieMum3 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:23:47

But can you go into the pool and sea?

FoodieMum3 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:26:55

And will the pool water go all orange ? grin

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 12-Jun-15 22:36:07

Is this really a thing nowadays? Booking into a salon to get that done just because of a holiday? confused

I know no-one that does this, is it a generational thing? I'm in my 40s. I am also considering the media hoo-ha about the "is your body beach ready?" poster so quite intrigued that people do actually worry about making salon appointments as part of their holiday preparations

Onedayinthesun Sun 14-Jun-15 05:36:35

I have shellac on fingers and toes, bikini wax & leg wax and eyelash tint, I don't think it's generational, I'm nearly 41 and I have always done this before my holidays.

I am keen to find out more about pre holiday fake tanning though. I love fake tan but always assumed it would go weird and patchy as it wore off with the chlorine so have never had it done before my holiday.

blacktreaclecat Sun 14-Jun-15 05:51:41

I have shellac toes and an eyebrow wax. Manicures never last on me, even with shellac.
My hairdresser has advised I see her when I get back- she says the sun and sea/ chlorine would wreck my colour if I had it done immediately before I go.
I shave my legs/ sort bikini line etc myself.
I don't fake tan but do use after sun with a low level of it in so I do change colour a little despite lying in the shade wearing factor 30 (50 on face).
I'm 37 btw.

Stinkersmum Sun 14-Jun-15 06:01:36

No its not generational. I always get full leg and bikinI wax, eyebrow thread, mani and pedi. Saying that, I get my hair washed and blow dried once a week and pedicures/eyebrows done roughly once a month anyway.

Doobigetta Sun 14-Jun-15 08:01:43

Upper lip thread. Fair hair that isn't noticeable most of the time can suddenly stand out against tanned skin and make you look like father Christmas.

WickedWax Sun 14-Jun-15 15:41:42

I don't think it's a generational thing. I have women of all ages coming to me before their holidays for waxing, lashes and tans - both regular clients, and lots of women who don't usually wax but will do just before a holiday as a one off.

I love fake tan but always assumed it would go weird and patchy as it wore off with the chlorine so have never had it done before my holiday.

I always advise my clients to avoid swimming for the first few days after their tan, as being dipped in chlorine does result in an uneven fade. But if they've followed my pre-tan advice and they're going somewhere sunny, and do sunbathe, then usually by about day 4 or 5 of your holiday your fake tan has started to fade anyway, but your real tan is starting to catch up, so it's not noticable after that. But yeah, fake tan and chlorine aren't a good mix.

Greengardenpixie Sun 14-Jun-15 18:00:54

Well i have just been doing things myself. Am contemplating a haircut but thats it. Will just razor shave myself when i need too. I am sallow so i have a bit of a tan already. Thats it for me. Nails well....i will paint them myself.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 14-Jun-15 19:35:01

Shellac on your toes and fingers. It'll save time on nail painting.

itsbetterthanabox Sun 14-Jun-15 21:00:18

I'd get a half leg, underarm and bikini wax. Gel polish on fingers and a pedicure with gel polish on toes.
Lash and Brow tint and brow wax.
A spray tan will fade quicker in pool water but by then your own tan will be showing through.

firesafety Sun 14-Jun-15 21:10:04

I used to have eyebrows shaped and lashes tinted pre-holiday 20+ years ago! pre-DC, along with leg wax.

I don't have my legs waxed now (life's too short) but I shave/immac myself. I still have lashes/brows done, and these days gel nails (hands, not necessarily feet). If I get a deal I may gave a facial too.

I've only ever had one fake tan and that was pre-holiday, but it was part of a groupon deal with other treatments.

Decent haircut, I usually colour my hair myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now