Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I need a shop where kind ladies can dress me and my family for an Indian wedding

(15 Posts)
Bollard Thu 11-Jun-15 13:37:08

In the NW, please. We are all pasty and self-conscious and I think we need to try things on and be encouraged. I'm thinking of salwar kameez for me.

Hoppinggreen Thu 11-Jun-15 14:16:37

There must be plenty where you are but I've been to quite a few Indian weddings and have always worn western clothes.
Do you have an Indian or Pakistani neighbour or school mum you know who could help?

Bollard Thu 11-Jun-15 16:41:43

I have sent up several smoke signals.
We're giving Indian clothes a try.

cathyandclaire Thu 11-Jun-15 17:09:00

It's a bit of a hike for you- but Bombay Stores in Bradford has absolutely everything you could possibly need, very helpful too.

Hoppinggreen Thu 11-Jun-15 19:46:08

There was one just out of Manchester City centre on Oldham rd I think near that wedding superstore

returnvisit Thu 11-Jun-15 22:27:28

Whereabouts in NW are you?
You can try wilmslow road in rusholme, some great shops there. Or Stockport road in longsight.

Bollard Thu 11-Jun-15 22:36:50

Thanks very much. I've seen some things I like online but I'd like to do some trying on.

MsAspreyDiamonds Thu 11-Jun-15 23:41:20

Haggle hard as they will inflate prices so do ask what their best price is unless there is a sign saying fixed price only.

HuftysTrain Thu 11-Jun-15 23:44:52

Do you have to wear traditional Indian clothes? I'd feel I was in fancy dress to be honest if that wasn't my culture.

Chocolateorangegirl Thu 11-Jun-15 23:59:20

So in Bolton there's 2 that I can think of:
House of Raja's & Rupali
Both close together and with parking. Both have regular non Asian clientele (as far as I can remember)
The quality won't necessarily be fantastic but it'll be fine for a one-off event.

In Manchester theres Alankar in wilmslow rd in rusholme, they always had lovely stuff.

Tbh no one will mind what you where, you shouldn't feel pressured to wear Indian clothes!

PopTarts Fri 12-Jun-15 00:09:03

Hi bollard!

I'm NW - manchester ! I can suggest Alankar on wilmslow road but it can be very expensive unless it's in a sale. I recently had my bils wedding and got two gorgeous outfits for £400 all in. So worth a look.

There is also sai fashions in cheetham hill in manchester. Coincidentally their sale is starting tomorrow and if I can bribe dh enough I shall be going so I may even bump into you grin

Someone mentioned Bombay stores in Bradford but dare I say it's abit dated there now..and you'll find it hard to get someone to help. However next door to Bombay stores is janan - absolutely gorgeous stuff and store, and excellent customer service.

Pm me if you need any help!

Bollard Fri 12-Jun-15 14:55:34

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try Alankar next week. The reviews for Sai Fashions are dreadful! It's almost worth going just to see if they are really that bad! I'm hoping to check out the Bolton shops too. Bradford is a bit too far.

MsAspreyDiamonds Sat 13-Jun-15 08:25:06

Alankar stocks lovely clothes but very expensive so do negotiate on the price. I have managed to get the price down a tiny bit on several occasions.

PopTarts Sat 13-Jun-15 09:01:49

Really bollard! I wonder why? I havnt been fun ages but I do remember them having lovely clothes and my sil goes there regularly without any problems.

nishahouseofaiyla Fri 10-Mar-17 21:03:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now