Talk

Advanced search

Girls Sandals Recommendations

(18 Posts)
Mrswhatsisname Wed 10-Jun-15 17:46:52

I'm looking for some sandals for my DD who is 6. I don't want the high st's standard offering of wafer thin sole with no support and silly thin straps. I'd like something good quality, with foot support and sensible straps that are stylish but not overly girly. Practical but still attractive. Possibly that's asking too much but I thought this would be the best place to ask about alternatives to the high st. Any ideas?

ygritte Wed 10-Jun-15 21:03:28

Amazon always has European brands which are high quality at good prices (which fluctuate daily....50% off one day,full price the next).Look for free returns in the spec. Brands like Umi,Richter,Ricosta mostly have leather uppers,flexi soles with padding.The Umi celia is pretty and sturdy but I paid half the current price.

Mrswhatsisname Wed 10-Jun-15 22:40:12

Thanks ygritte, I'll have a look.

handmadewithlove Fri 12-Jun-15 16:14:34

I always buy walking sandals for the children from places like blacks or even sports direct. Depends if you want pretty or practical! Though some are both... eg these www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RVXEZIC/ref=twister_B00RVXED0C

Only1scoop Fri 12-Jun-15 16:15:28

Garvalin ....have a look on Ebay for a bargain.

pookamoo Fri 12-Jun-15 16:21:55

I bought these for DD1. Closed in toes foe cycling a must.

Blowninonabreeze Fri 12-Jun-15 16:24:00

My kids have Birkenstocks every year.

They're robust, secure, withstand the tree climbing etc that mine get up to, but still look nice when needed for smarter occasions.

They also last ( I have 3 daughters so can pass them down , the joules /JL equivalent fell apart)

This year for the first time I've branched out for dd1, who is too big for kids birki, she has saltwater sandals I'm hoping they'll be as robust. So far (5 weeks) so good!

haggisaggis Fri 12-Jun-15 16:26:50

Used to get Ricosta ones for dd (unfortunately she's nearly 13 now so no longer suitable). or Primigi were good too. Ricosta used to do neoprene ones (not sure if they still do or not) that were waterproof so didn't get wrecked if they went paddling in them. Richter and Geox also good.

monkeysmama Fri 12-Jun-15 16:30:11

Just been through the same myself. Have a look at Liquorice Laces who stock some great brands.

Branleuse Fri 12-Jun-15 17:03:42

birkenstocks do childrens sandals with arch support

Marylou2 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:08:00

Boden gladiator type sandals in both gold and silver. DD has both.They are beautifully made and super comfy.She played football in one pair for an hour and not a single rub or sore bit.The sandals held up well too. I'd do a link but I'm uselessgrin They are on the website.

lurkingaround Sat 13-Jun-15 10:19:40

Blowninonabreeze, can I ask you how is the sizing on the saltwater sandals? I've printed off their size guide but I don't think its right - I come out as a size 9 (I'm an average size 6!)

We have Boden ones this year, back strap is coming away from sole already so I'm disappointed. Ricosta last year, they were great and lovely too. Older DD got a pressie of Agnes Ruiz dela Prada last year, they were fab. Think I'll get saltwaters for both, if I can figure out the sizing.

Blowninonabreeze Sun 14-Jun-15 19:36:06

Sizing is my nightmare.
Dd1 wears size 4 converse. Size 4 Nike trainers and size 3.5 startrite school shoes.

She's in a size 3 saltwater. So they come up big in my opinion.

But we eventually went to a stockist as I couldn't make head nor tail or the sizing chart!

lurkingaround Sun 14-Jun-15 21:07:34

Thanks Blowinon. At least I'm not the only one that doesn't get their sizing guide! DD is size 3.5 Converse, size 3 start rite, but growing fast. Will try the 3 I think. Thanks.

ScrambledSmegs Sun 14-Jun-15 21:21:11

My DDs have the Sun-san (mini saltwater sandals) every year. We buy them at a local shop. They are the only sandals we've ever bought that survive each summer.

Eldest DD is 5. She's in size 10 this year, she's about a size 11 in UK sizes. DD1 has the surfer style and DD2 the swimmers.

Pikkewyn Sun 14-Jun-15 21:26:08

My girls both wear Keens. They do them in pretty colours (if that's what you want) they are tough and practical, wash in the machine and mine live in them.

JoyceDivision Sun 14-Jun-15 21:28:30

Camper twins.

DD lived in hers last year and has got some for this summer.

Shop about and spend a while brwosing and you can get them failry cheap.#

for example

NoParking Sun 14-Jun-15 21:30:36

Pediped Saharas. Washable, toe protection, comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now