Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Until you take a 'selfie' You don't really realise just how lopsided you face is, do you?

(95 Posts)
SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 16:48:04

Blimey shock

I'm not a natural selfie person. In fact, I hate being in pictures at all, though I have tried to get better at that since becoming a parent (for morbid reasons). I just took a photo of myself to send to DH (not one of those), I've had my hair done and wanted to show him (he's working away at the mo). Crikey O'Reilly I look wonky - one eye is bigger, more open and higher than the other and my smile is wonky too. Not noticeable in the mirror and hasn't been commented on by others but I seem to manage to capture it in full technicolor HD when I (rarely) photograph myself.

Are you the same or are you all visions of perfection?

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 16:48:47

Fuck it.
Fuck it.
Fuck it.

YOUR FACE.
YOUR FACE.

Fucking iPad.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 16:50:30

And random capital letter in the middle of the thread header too. dooooom

FuzzyWizard Wed 10-Jun-15 16:53:48

I think it's because the iPads and iPhones flip the image so your face is backwards. If you have a really symmetrical face it doesn't matter but otherwise it just makes you look weirdly alien and wonky.

KCAMum Wed 10-Jun-15 16:54:38

Yep, I too have this lopsided problem in selfies and photos in general really...never been commented on in real life and not obvious in a mirror hmm

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 16:59:27

So it's the iPad's fault not my scary melty selfie face, fuzzy?

PointyBirds Wed 10-Jun-15 17:00:49

Sorry to say, but the reason you don't notice it in the mirror is because you're used to your face being lopsided in a mirror image version, and the reason nobody comments in real life is because they're all used to your face being lopsided in the non-mirror image version grin

Everyone's lopsided. Except Halle Berry. I just googled 'beauty symmetry' and there's a whole load of images of original pictures, then with left side reflected to make a face and right side reflected to make a face. Everyone looks really weird, even beautiful people. Except Halle Berry, she looks exactly the same in all three pictures.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 17:01:02

KCA we can be wonky together. I find if I photograph from a certain side (yes literally 'my best side') the effect is reduced but it is still there.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 10-Jun-15 17:01:40

I know exactly what you mean OP,thank fuck for filters though wink

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 17:03:31

She looks a teeny, tiny bit different but microscopically so and only because I'm looking for differences. If those were 3 pics of me I'd look bizarre, I know. And weirdly, I don't consider myself to be hideous or anything.

MrsSheRa Wed 10-Jun-15 17:04:59

I look absolutely atrocious in selfies.

Wonky face, face too long, nose looks massive arrrrgh

I've shared 1 selfie in my entire life.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 17:07:38

join us on the shit selfies bench, mrsshera

HappenstanceMarmite Wed 10-Jun-15 17:10:18

I look all wrong in selfies so rarely take them....and only then for some comedy shot. So I don't get why so many younger girls and celebs post them all the time?

FuzzyWizard Wed 10-Jun-15 17:10:46

Alas we are all mostly lopsided. The iPhone shows you a mirror image when you take the selfie so you look 'normal' and then flips it back again so you notice how lopsided you are. You notice it because it's not the way you see it in the mirror.

PointyBirds Wed 10-Jun-15 17:10:51

I definitely have a best side.

Lookit - Marilyn was wonky.

ChablisChic Wed 10-Jun-15 17:11:01

It's weird isn't it, how we're so used to our mirror image that we think that's how we look, when everyone else sees a different version. Sadly, I much prefer the mirror version!

If I see DH in the mirror he looked really lopsided and wonky, whereas in real life he's a perfectly normal, reasonably attractive bloke.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 17:21:02

So do I look that lopsided to everyone else and the mirror image is fake? Noooooooo. I cannot believe that I have got to this age (late 30's) and didn't realise this.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 17:21:41

Even wonky Marilyn still had it going on.

PointyBirds Wed 10-Jun-15 17:24:56

Noone thinks you look lopsided. It just looks weird to you because you're used to your mirror image. You don't go round thinking, well he's lopsided, and her face is really lopsided, do you? But they all are, cos everyone is smile

(Except Halle Berry)

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 17:27:46

suspects pointy is Halle Berry wink

HemanOrSheRa Wed 10-Jun-15 17:38:29

Thank fuck! I thought it was just me. I try and take a decent selfie and I look hideous. I see people I know posting selfies on facebook and think they look lovely, normal like they do in RL. Then I try and my face looks so BIG and weird looking confused. I'm pretty sure I don't look like that in RL.

PointyBirds Wed 10-Jun-15 17:48:50

Dammit. Rumbled.

I just feel so sorry for you poor asymmetrical types. I was just trying to make you feel better, but I ended up pointing out my own perfect beauty again. I don't know why that keeps happening...

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 17:58:25

That's it heman, selfie me is so different to the me I recognise that I think how can I possibly look like that in RL confused. Weird.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 10-Jun-15 17:58:59

grin @ pointybirds

TheEmpressofBlandings Wed 10-Jun-15 18:08:10

You can download an app which flips half of your face to the other half to make you perfectly symmetrical. Now THAT looks weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now