Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New job working from boss's manor house - what footwear?

(31 Posts)
pictongirl12 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:46:47

Landed a fab job as PA for a company Chairman and will be working form his home which is a beautiful manor house.

Just not sure what footwear is best.

I have to look well groomed but there are a lot of highly polished floors so heels are a no no!!

Wondering about elegant slippers to change into?

ConnortheMonkey Wed 10-Jun-15 10:48:51

Elegant slippers! No!!!! Surely just ballet flats?

ConnortheMonkey Wed 10-Jun-15 10:49:20

Wedges?

CMOTDibbler Wed 10-Jun-15 10:49:32

I'd have some soft soled ballet flats to wear at work so you don't scratch the floors or dent them.

May09Bump Wed 10-Jun-15 10:50:51

I would say business looking wedges and take it from there.

jacko12 Wed 10-Jun-15 11:40:34

Sorry but IMHO wedges are not suitable and never look professional.

It really depends on the set up and whether you will be dealing with customers etc.

If not, I would agree smart slippers or even just socked 0r tights feet.

Twinklestein Wed 10-Jun-15 11:51:31

Of course you can wear wedges, I don't what conception the pp has - but elegant wedge courts would be perfect. Or ballet flats.

Definitely not slippers or tights.

Twinklestein Wed 10-Jun-15 11:55:59

This kind of thing would be ideal.

Hoppinggreen Wed 10-Jun-15 12:39:20

Agree with twinkle those wedges look very professional.
Flats would be fine as well, ballet flats can look a it scruffy though ( if you have fat feet like me)

toffeeboffin Wed 10-Jun-15 12:49:23

Please don't wear slippers : even if you are in his home, you are still at work. Slippers = relaxation.

I wouldn't wear wedges either, they look trashy.

Wear flat shoes with a soft sole.

Unless he's a fashion designer he probably wont care as long as you don't scratch the floors!

flowery Wed 10-Jun-15 12:52:04

grin at the idea that socks are more professional than wedges!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 10-Jun-15 12:58:28

What's your normal style? Do you tend to wear trousers or skirts/dresses?

Are heels really a no no or just the stiletto kind? I'd be surprised if a low court shoe with a wide heel was not acceptable. Whether it appeals is another matter grin

Lots of beautiful flat/flat ish shoes available these days. Living in ballet flats will wreck your feet though so I wouldn't make them an every day staple.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Wed 10-Jun-15 12:59:41

I had no idea wedges were trashy either hmm confused

Depends on your feet and style OP - if you can get away with ballet flats, fine. Otherwise loafers or wedges are fine too. There are also some shoes with a decent block heel around as well, if you need a bit of a lift occasionally

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 10-Jun-15 13:06:34

Duchess of Cambridge wears them frequently enough. There are classy and trashy wedges like any other footwear. They are a practical solution especially if you are spending a lot of time on your feet in her case.

Old house = draughts. Look for Ugg slippers the kind that look like loafers grin

OnlyLovers Wed 10-Jun-15 13:07:01

Leather ballet flats (as opposed to cheap-looking fabric ones).
Brogues.
Wedges again in leather, not espadrille-style.

WanderWomble Wed 10-Jun-15 13:10:44

I wear wedges all of the time for work and I've never had a comment on them either way.

I wouldn't want to wear heels in case they damaged the floor. There are some gorgeous flats out there at the moment.

Twinklestein Wed 10-Jun-15 13:27:16

No idea what toffee's on, the ones I linked couldn't be more conservative and work-appropriate.

jacko12 Wed 10-Jun-15 14:30:12

I have to disagree.

From what was said I assume you will be working form his home? So outdoor shoes are IMHO not appropriate.

When I mentioned slippers I meant smart one not bedroom!! Plus you would have shoes if you really needed them.

PrincessOfChina Wed 10-Jun-15 14:35:29

Have you visited? What do other staff wear? I presume there is possibly a housekeeper or something.

If not, I'd wear heels to arrive in and take with me a pair of soft soled ballet flats for indoors.

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 10-Jun-15 14:37:58

I'd wear heels unless told they were forbidden. If he is using his home as a workplace then I'd assume that I would wear normal business clothes.

Surely a chunky heel wouldn't damage a floor - perhaps just avoid stilletos.

But I am honestly shuddering at the thought of slippers of any kind or of wandering round in your tights.

SewingBox Wed 10-Jun-15 14:43:39

I think if he's treating his home as his workplace and having staff there, then normal office attire would be the thing to do, unless you're specifically told otherwise, in which case I'd expect to be told what was appropriate.

IME people with beautiful manor houses are far less precious about their floors and carpets than people in suburban semis grin

ShatnersBassoon Wed 10-Jun-15 14:46:27

I'm sure I've read this exact thing a couple of months ago! confused

I think the consensus was to find out what other people wear. Soft-soled shoes are the obvious choice, I'm not sure slippers would give a good impression.

HeyDuggee Wed 10-Jun-15 14:52:37

Normal shoes - surely you'll also be going out on errands - and driving shoes for indoor (Google if you don't know what the heel looks like)

ConnortheMonkey Wed 10-Jun-15 17:02:35

I wear wedges like this for work including court appearances!
Loafers if not keen on ballet flats ?

Come back OP and tell us you haven't ordered some fluffy slippers grin

namelessposter Wed 10-Jun-15 19:23:54

Wedges are trashy? Well every day is a school-day for those of us who live and work in Belgravia. I shall pass on the style-dictate to my titled clients..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now