Talk

Advanced search

Can I wear this dress

(12 Posts)
Fantashtic Tue 09-Jun-15 08:28:13

To a black tie work awards thing at a posh hotel, or do I really need a long one?
I thought this dress with high black heels (closed toe) and a wrap?

It's low but I'm entirely flat chested so not indecent. It's about an inch and a half below my knee.

GertrudeTrudy Tue 09-Jun-15 09:37:26

Sorry but I don't think this would be appropriate for a black tie - not the length as such but more the fabric, it looks slightly on the casual side. Although you could glam it up with a metallic or pearl clutch and some nice jewellery?

AJNH Tue 09-Jun-15 09:45:05

Also don't think it's appropriate,sorry. Have a look on asos, they have lots of lovely long eligent black dresses on there smile

Fantashtic Tue 09-Jun-15 10:32:17

Ah. Was really hoping I could get away with it as I hate to shop. Thank you!

GreenHamNoeggs Tue 09-Jun-15 10:38:57

I think it would be fine with the right hair, make up and jewellery.

Serendipitymuppet Tue 09-Jun-15 11:05:53

I think it's fine with some jewellery and nice shoes. Very low V though - I'm impressed you can wear that!

Serendipitymuppet Tue 09-Jun-15 11:07:07

Just to add, I go to a fair number of black tie do's - and short is fine. Just glam it up a bit. Seems a shame to waste money and time on shopping if it's not your thing.

Fantashtic Tue 09-Jun-15 11:18:51

I've got a lace crop top thing which I can put underneath as after I posted I though I'd best check ref the low cut-ness.

Re the right kind of jewellery - are we talking sparkle/statement kind of thing? My mum mentioned a cocktail ring she has and I've a ten strand Tiffany heart bracelet in silver I got for a birthday which might look ok. Or should it be bling?

Thank you, btw, much appreciated.

Serendipitymuppet Tue 09-Jun-15 12:40:57

Wear whatever jewellery you feel comfortable with, last one I went to I bought a OTT necklace from Primark for about £3 and wore that with a sparkly bracelet.

The cocktail ring and Tiffany bracelet sound lovely.

burnishedsilver Tue 09-Jun-15 12:56:37

Its very skimpy for a work do tbh.

HenriettaBarnet Tue 09-Jun-15 13:17:40

I think it would be fine if you wore high heels, lots of nice jewellry and did your hair in an updo or something.

I wouldn't spend money on another dress that you'll wear once.

People are more concerned with their own appearance to judge you I think.

noddyholder Tue 09-Jun-15 16:39:48

I think its fine I really love it and am envious of you being able to wear it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now