Talk

Advanced search

Fancy Dress theme "Disco"

(18 Posts)
controlaltdlete Mon 08-Jun-15 16:54:39

I am so not a fancy dress person but I need to embrace this theme. It's a work colleague of DH & I don't know anyone else enough to ask how full on it needs to be.
In the past I've got in so wrong full on witches outfit with broomstick & warty nose when other guests have just worn a nod towards the theme.
Any ideas for a late 40's size 12 with OK legs but terrible love handles?

FauxFox Mon 08-Jun-15 17:30:39

sequin dress - sparkly enough but also nice anyway and rewearable.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Mon 08-Jun-15 17:33:45

I'd go for some coloured high waisted disco pants with a black cami and big curly hair. Maybe a gold star painted like Kate moss did for her birthday a few years ago.

controlaltdlete Mon 08-Jun-15 17:45:11

thanks for the suggestions.
That's my problem, if I do the full on 70's disco vibe then turn up and the room is full of cute dresses I'll look a complete berk. confused
The sequin dress is a good idea because it's the same price as hiring fancy dress. I could get some accessories that may stay in my handbag.

squizita Mon 08-Jun-15 19:44:02

The tricky thing is, she says as a collector of 60s/70s, is fancy dress disco looks NOTHING like actual disco. It's one suit from Saturday Night Fever and ABBA costumes. confused

I love the look of that sequin dress, with some sharp heels (not platforms) and a bit of sparkle in the eye make up or glossy lips.

controlaltdlete Mon 08-Jun-15 19:52:33

Please no to an Abba suit blush.
How about a pair of heart shaped sunglasses?

squizita Mon 08-Jun-15 20:04:00

Fancy dress is ABBA costumes I meant. grin

Disco can be seriously chic and expensive, it was for the jet set of tge day!
I have quite a few "midi" length swishy dresses in satin which, for example, look 70s but not "bad" 70s.
My other staple for parties is a loose sequin top (or any fabric with a touch of sparkle - gold thread, lame, a batwing black top with a silver zig zag) with narrow high waist trousers and heels.

Hair can be very curly or smooth and glossy or straight with a crimp detail. Even a tight high pony works.

squizita Mon 08-Jun-15 20:13:22

This lady's blog is brilliant for 70s ideas! Many of them could be created using modern high street items and not be costume - y emmapeelpants.wordpress.com/

controlaltdlete Mon 08-Jun-15 20:18:58

squizita flowers I will channel the Lucy Ferry leaving Annabel's look. just older and fatter

squizita Mon 08-Jun-15 21:04:13

I LOVE that picture. You'll look fab! grin

50ShadesOfSummer Tue 09-Jun-15 06:33:48

I'd second GingerFox and get my disco pants out! Looks disco, but also flattering.

burnishedsilver Tue 09-Jun-15 13:12:36

Sequin trousers could look pretty disco.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Tue 09-Jun-15 16:30:09

Boohoo do some cobalt disco pants for £8, them and black cami top, maybe block platforms and you've got a 70's outfit that is an acceptable outfit that people would wear now. And if you've got decent legs, bonus!

squizita Tue 09-Jun-15 18:00:17

Oh and those "everything five pounds" sites (legit - tend to be old Next and Debenhams stock with the labels snipped) are worth browsing for things you know you'll wear once (eg hen nights, fancy dress) but don't want to wear costume.

controlaltdlete Tue 09-Jun-15 19:23:16

Thanks so much.
Those disco pants are a steal, how forgiving do you think they are? Could I do a longer floaty top to hide my middle aged spread?

Flyinggeese21 Tue 09-Jun-15 20:16:13

Controlalt how about something like this dress with gold belt, gold strappy sandals, big gold hoop earrings: trafficpeople.co.uk/spring-summer-15/2237-never-ending-story-halter-pleat-dress-.html#/02_colour-white/size-xs_6_8

Seems to be a lot of 70s style stuff around at the moment as luck would have it, ready to style up to take one step further for a theme.

50ShadesOfSummer Wed 10-Jun-15 05:57:23

I find disco pants very flattering. But I have a couple of pairs of the American Apparel ones and they are v expensive - so not worth it unless you're going to wear lots. So can't comment on the BooHoo ones.

There's also eBay to try.

Pumpkinette Wed 10-Jun-15 09:07:38

All I can think of is 'Disco Stu' from The Simpsons with the dead goldfish in his platform shoes. Not sure that's a look you want to go for. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now