Talk

Advanced search

Heavy foundation with no flashback!

(23 Posts)
pepperhead Mon 08-Jun-15 14:55:18

Hi All.
Im hoping someone can help me with this query. I am a rosacea sufferer - my skin is extremely red. I get exceptional coverage from Bare Minerals - I love it as I can build the coverage & it looks great but in photographs I look like a ghost! I recently purchased the Vichy Dermablend and while the coverage is good I was at an occasion & again I look like a ghost in the pictures! A lovely brown neck & arms & a snow white face! Im getting a bit desperate at this stage as I have a couple of weddings coming up & need it sorted. I like doing my own makeup.
And the main problem is finding a foundation with the heavy coverage that I need!
Any advice?

TIA
Pepper x

FrugalFashionista Mon 08-Jun-15 15:49:43

Check out this - American but might still help you.

daftyburd Mon 08-Jun-15 15:53:39

My friend really rates the Make Up Forever HD foundation. She is a selfie addict and seems to be at a wedding, christening, big do every weekend too. Always looks flawless in photos while I look like Casper. She used to bulk buy in Sephora but Debenhams have started to stock in uk. Don't know if you could get sample on an online store here?
It's really weird as the Make Up Forever powder is the worst thing ever for flashback. I couldn't believe the foundation is so different.

CoffeeTwo Mon 08-Jun-15 15:56:40

Estee Lauder double wear. Go to the counter to get them to match you with the best shade. I have acne scars and most people don't belive me because I wear this daily smile

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 08-Jun-15 16:09:50

Revlon colour stay
Lily Lolo
The matte version of BM?

FrugalFashionista Mon 08-Jun-15 16:25:44

Dame ime those are flashback-heavy - haven't tried BM though. Physical sunscreen - zinc, titanium- has this downside.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 08-Jun-15 17:08:26

Oh, weird, I find them ok.

OhMySaintedTrousers Mon 08-Jun-15 17:18:24

Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation (not the serum version) is good in this respect, IME.

If you haven't already tried it, you might find that applying a high-coverage pan concealer underneath (e.g. Rimmel Lasting Finish in the red pot, or Benefit Boi-ing) with a fluffy brush means that you can use a foundation with significantly lower coverage. That technique should mean that you have a wider range of flashback-free foundations to choose from.

The same technique would probably also work if you used the La Roche Posay foundation (very high coverage) as a concealer with a lighter foundation over the top. No idea how it fares with flashback on its own, however, as I can't find the ingredients list.

NomiMalone Mon 08-Jun-15 17:20:19

Makeup Forever HD.

It was formulated specifically for being photographed and for being worn on television.

It's like photoshop in a bottle. It's not heavy but has amazing coverage. In my top 3 foundations of all time.

maxxytoe Tue 09-Jun-15 07:55:24

Another makeup forever HD lover here!

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Tue 09-Jun-15 07:58:24

You just need one without SPF

squizita Tue 09-Jun-15 11:00:42

No 7 does a picture perfect foundation.

My top tip is set the foundation with "Corn Silk" powder. Works as well as hd powder. I swear by it.

AmelieinOz Tue 09-Jun-15 11:43:35

Agree. It's the SPF that's causing the flashback so just get one without.

DJThreeDog Tue 09-Jun-15 11:55:26

Yes I agree about needing one without SPF. I spent a LOT of time (and money) researching this before I got married.

I wouldn't recommend Double Wear - the coverage is great but I do think you get glare as it has SPF in it.

I like Mac Face and Body - it's not a heavy coverage, it's quite light but you can layer it on the bits you need it. I've worn 4 layers as an experiment and it still looked great, not cakey or anything.

I'm liking the idea of MUFE - I've never bought from them before because I'm not buying foundation over the internet when I have not idea what the colour might be like!

5446 Tue 09-Jun-15 12:17:34

Giorgio Armani foundations photograph beautifully - especially Luminous Silk. It is medium coverage with one pump but very buildable.

I do bridal make up and it is pretty much the only foundation I will use.

coffeenut Tue 09-Jun-15 12:33:38

I had to find a decent coverage foundation that would photograph well last year and so gathered a number of foundation samples and took a selfie wearing each of them with my phone (in dim lighting w flash).

Both SPF and non-SPF foundations flashed back. Some were definitely worse than others ie NARS sheerglow (no SPF - BUT terrible flashback). MUFE flashed back (I tried the matte version however not the HD). Revlon colorstay was one of the better ones as was Armani Luminous Silk and Lancome Teinte Idole Ultra. The worst ones had reflective "glowy" particles - best to avoid these.

My best solution has been to dust NARS Laguna bronzer very very lightly over my foundation.

5446 Tue 09-Jun-15 14:56:11

Do you use powder? MUFE HD powder is pretty much the worst in terms of flashback, so you also need to look at powders as well as foundation.

Bagelicious Tue 09-Jun-15 17:25:50

Make up for ever camouflage cream is amazing at covering redness.

Bagelicious Tue 09-Jun-15 17:26:51

And is available in debenhams

pepperhead Wed 10-Jun-15 10:14:59

Wow - thanks for all the replies.
I wasnt expecting as many :-)
I think I might give the make up forever & the Bare Minerals matte a try next. I used to wear the Estee Lauder double wear before my skin got very bad but the flash back with that is also very bad. Its just something to have the press when an occasion comes up that I can stick on. And not worry about looking like a ghost :-)

AMcoffeeLover Wed 10-Jun-15 15:08:51

Estee Lauder double wear
The original or light version, I use both and are amazing. But you have to go to the counter and get matched!

AMcoffeeLover Wed 10-Jun-15 15:10:05

Sorry just seen that you've tried estee Lauder!

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 10-Jun-15 17:55:40

I get awful flashback with Estée Lauder doublewear. I'm glad there's good reports of the Armani luminous silk because ive just bought some for holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now