Talk

Advanced search

Shop soiled goods (when you're the soiled)

(6 Posts)
AuntOlive Mon 08-Jun-15 14:33:28

I was mortified today to discover that after trying on 3 tops, I'd left a makeup stain on the neck of one. This must have been where the top rubbed against my face as I took it off.) I didn't like it once on and it was also too big for me. Otherwise I would probably have felt obliged to buy it.

I just left it in the changing room with the other 2 tops I didn't buy (although I did buy one which salvaged my conscience a bit, as at least I didn't just try on, muck up, then leave). blush

Should I have apologised to the staff? I was worried they might insist I buy it.

Are shops insured for this sort of thing? (I.e. Do they allow for "writing off" a certain amount of damaged / soiled goods?) This was a big chain who aren't exactly cheap, if that makes any difference...

WWYD?

AuntOlive Mon 08-Jun-15 14:35:01

Title should have read "when you're the soiler" (damn autocorrect).

L0gLady Mon 08-Jun-15 14:36:08

They are able to write off damaged stock, or sell it at a discount.

It's s bit awks but you've not really done anything wrong.

StayGoldPonyBoy Mon 08-Jun-15 14:36:44

They'll hang it back up, someone will notice it's got makeup on and they'll just take a percentage off the price for them. I probably would have done the same but a better person would have mentioned it grin

Itsalldramarama Mon 08-Jun-15 15:43:21

My dd did this and went on to purchase the dress .. The assistant pointed out that it had make up on and gave her £5 discount !! ( she didn't confess it was her make up !!!

louloubelle2 Mon 08-Jun-15 16:30:58

I did this in a tiny shop in the middle of nowhere in Spain, I bought it as I couldn't speak the language to explain or apologise, and the owner was hovering right outside the fitting room so I couldn't hide it. As it happens I wear it loads and it was an independant shop so I'd have felt bad about leaving ruined stock. I did however hear a shop assistant in cos explain to a customer that they steam make up out of clothes quite easily, so I wouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now