Talk

Advanced search

Can I wear a petticoat to a wedding?! Advice please! :0)

(25 Posts)
jojomama4321 Sat 06-Jun-15 21:51:31

Hi Ladies,

I have just started getting into vintage (well vintage style) clothes and am really getting into their dresses. I am a bigger girl (size 20 on a good day) and really like how they look on me which has taken me a while (used to be a size 12- that's a story for another time!)

My question is.. I have been invited to a good friend's wedding and really want to wear one of my dresses but I want to wear it with a petticoat underneath as it really makes the dress.

I have these 2 dresses and want to wear one with a petticoat

www.nyla-rose.com/product/lindy-bop-vintage-1950s-turquoise-floral-ophelia-vintage-dress/

www.nyla-rose.com/product/lindy-bop-1950s-blue-polka-audrey-dress/

(I have a bit of an obsession with this website i can't keep away from it lol)

My hubby says I can't wear it with a petticoat as he thinks it will look too much and it might overshadow the bridesmaids who are wearing simple dresses but i think he is being daft.

Help!

PS. Also which dress do you prefer out the two? I have a white petticoat xx

PattiODoors Sat 06-Jun-15 21:55:34

I would pair the white petticoat with the polka dot dress (am on stupid tinyphone and pic looks like blue and white)

For a wedding though - I love the floral but would baulk at a petti

jojomama4321 Sat 06-Jun-15 22:00:48

OMG now I have just seen this one! #confused love them all! haha looking at their website is not helping as i keep seeing more and more lol xx

www.nyla-rose.com/product/lindy-bop-1950s-vintage-blackberry-selema-dress/

midnightvelvet01 Sat 06-Jun-15 22:01:21

I love that floral dress!

My idea of a petticoat is a white satin slip that my grandmother wore under skirts. Do you mean a voluminous ruffle one as I don't have a clear idea of what you mean, sorry x

HemlockStarglimmer Sat 06-Jun-15 22:13:08

My initial thought was how would anyone know if you were wearing underwear under your clothes.confused But now I see that it is to change the outline of the dress.

If I were the bride I would love you to wear what made you feel good on the day. Go for it!

QueenofLouisiana Sat 06-Jun-15 22:15:20

Love the last one, beautiful! Would look amazing with a petticoat.

BikeRunSki Sat 06-Jun-15 22:15:51

With that type of dress yes, wear a petticoat. I prefer the greenish floral one.

cosmicglittergirl Sat 06-Jun-15 22:23:04

I've worn a 50s style dress with an underskirt. Looked brilliant.

measles64 Sat 06-Jun-15 22:25:18

Definitely a petticoat is needed for this style of dress. My Mother had amazing petticoats for these dresses, I used to play in them.

Withalittlesparkle Sat 06-Jun-15 22:26:17

I wore a similar dress to the floral one to a wedding, with a white petticoat and felt fab in it, something a bit fun. I ended up taking the petticoat off though as it was a ridiculously hot day and my poor legs couldn't handle it.

Another websites to browse with the same/similar dresses is polkadots and petticoats

cosmicglittergirl Sat 06-Jun-15 22:28:46

Posted too soon.
At a wedding. I think it's fine.
People wore them at mine too and it didn't occur to me to think it might over shadow me. Do it!

burnishedsilver Sat 06-Jun-15 22:34:35

I think the floral one with a white tulle underskirt would be a bit OTT. The polka dot would be better.

I like the third dress best but you'd need a dark petticoat, not white.

WanderWomble Sat 06-Jun-15 22:34:49

Net petticoats can be a bit scratchy and uncomfortable if you're wearing them for a long time.

The Ophelia dress is gorgeous and will look fab on- I have one in dark red. I wear black shoes/petticoat/belt with it and always get complements.

5madthings Sat 06-Jun-15 22:38:13

Yes! I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and wore this with cream petticoat. Got lots if compliments, I have a few dresses and petticoats from Elsie's Attic and lindy bop etc. My own wedding dress that I wore last week was fifties style in ivory with a turquoise petticoat that matched my shoes

5madthings Sat 06-Jun-15 22:39:30

All my net petticoats have an underskirt/lining so aren't scratchy. You can get the petticoats much cheaper on amazon Btw

5madthings Sat 06-Jun-15 22:41:31

My wedding dress and petticoat!

Go for it this style us fab and perfect for weddings.

5madthings Sat 06-Jun-15 22:44:19

And it's fab to wear a contrasting petticoat with the dress. So with the dark dres a cream or bright coloured petticoat say red? Would be dab.

My friend whose wedding I wore the dress with petticoat to didn't feel over shadowed at all. As long as it's not an ivory/bridal dress go for it.

Pipbin Sat 06-Jun-15 22:44:44

I wear this style of dress and have loads of them. I wear the petticoats all the time, around the house, to the shops etc.

Runningupthathill82 Sat 06-Jun-15 22:46:44

I've been to weddings in my Lindy Bop dress with petticoat. Go for it!

Flyinggeese21 Sun 07-Jun-15 00:10:36

Go for it Jojo! These dresses with a petticoat are 'dressed up' but not bridal so you'll be fine.

TisILeclerc Sun 07-Jun-15 09:22:43

I've worn two lindy bop dresses to two weddings. Both with their red petticoat. I had so many compliments on both occasions. Do it! smile

SoupDragon Sun 07-Jun-15 09:38:33

I think the polka dot one would look fab with a white petticoat. I think it's the best choice for a wedding as it's classic and simple IMO.

The third one you posted is also nice but I think the style and a plain colour is more of a bridesmaid look than the others. Not really bridesmaidy though. It would be fab for a non wedding formal do.

Personally I find the floral one too fancy and OTT for my taste but that's just me!

BerylStreep Sun 07-Jun-15 09:44:01

I like the floral one.

5MadThings - Congrats on your wedding day - you look fab.

louwn Sun 07-Jun-15 19:03:09

I have worn a petticoat to a relatively informal wedding in a pub. Looked great, got lots of compliments. The bride wore something similar to you 5madthings and looked great - similar sort of teal colour. Congratulations by the way.

avocadotoast Sun 07-Jun-15 19:03:55

Someone wore a petticoat to my wedding and I didn't care. But then mine was quite an informal wedding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now