Talk

Advanced search

What would you wear with this 1960s vintage outfit?

(17 Posts)
SirChenjin Sat 06-Jun-15 17:44:22

Please don't tell me you hate it - 'cos I love it and am thrilled to be wearing it smile

I though a fascinator/small hat, clutch and pointy 60s style shoes - does that sound about right? And what colour? Was thinking of pale grey/silver - again, does that sound right? confused

SirChenjin Sat 06-Jun-15 17:44:56

Link here I hope www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VINTAGE-1960s-FORMAL-DRESS-COAT-ORIGINAL-WEDDING-OUTFIT-SZ-12-/271887305858?

MamaLazarou Sat 06-Jun-15 18:33:38

I love it! Is it for a wedding? I would wear it with a hot pink pillbox hat, gloves and medium heels.

FauxFox Sat 06-Jun-15 18:48:16

I love it too! I would go for gold sandals
neutral saucer hat
and a vintage tortoiseshell-look bag like this (I have a small version one of these myself smile)

SwedishEdith Sat 06-Jun-15 18:52:45

Get these! They're genuine Jackie Kennedy shoes

SwedishEdith Sat 06-Jun-15 18:55:05

I might go for a leopard skin pill box hat because how many times will you have the chance to wear one?

Twinklestein Sat 06-Jun-15 19:00:17

I'd wear with kitten heels - silvery metallicy colour - you'd have to try them with the blue

Wotsitsareafterme Sat 06-Jun-15 19:15:05

I have no ideas but I love the outfit you will look amazing!

SirChenjin Sat 06-Jun-15 19:18:27

It's for a rather royal garden party grin. Sandals are out (unless the weather up here improves dramatically...) so I think it will have to be shoes. Love the idea of a pill box or a saucer shape hat...too much of a coward to wear leopard print, so think I will look at self coloured. That tortoiseshell bag is gorgeous!

Hair at the moment is layered and shoulder length, so perhaps chignon/low bun type thing? I'm 46, so need to make sure I'm going for the older Audrey H/Jackie O look, as opposed to Great Aunt Beryl off to a wedding - I often get these things very wrong, so don't let me down, good ladies of MN grin

daftyburd Sat 06-Jun-15 19:34:20

Agree with the pill box hat suggestions. Type to channel your inner Jackie O!

daftyburd Sat 06-Jun-15 19:34:44

Time not type. Stupid phone

dontcallmelen Sat 06-Jun-15 20:28:54

Op second the pill box hat & pointy shoes, so many colours, would go with that outfit, silver/gold, hot pink
Lemon, nude, navy, love the outfit have a great time.

Floisme Sat 06-Jun-15 20:44:22

I love it too but I'm going to disagree slightly about hair and accessories. Personally I'd keep everything else very contemporary as I think head to toe retro can be hard to pull off - very easy to slip into fancy dress mode.

Hope you have a great time.

EuphemiaCoxton Sat 06-Jun-15 20:46:08

Gorgeous. Search etsy for a pillbox hat.
I love the jackie o look

SirChenjin Sat 06-Jun-15 20:50:34

What do you mean by contemporary Flo? Remember my advancing years and my quite conservative taste please grin

I'm so pleased it's getting positive feedback (I know I asked for it, but this is MN..!) - I had looked at lots of other outfits but just kept coming back to it. Even teenage DD said she thought it was just 'me' and to go for it, which is praise indeed.

Floisme Sat 06-Jun-15 23:08:09

I didn't mean anything too 'out there' style wise Sirchenjin grin I just think that gloves and pill box hat sound great but might make the outfit a bit too 60s theme partyish. I think I'd just keep everything else simple, including hair. It's just my opinion though.

SirChenjin Sun 07-Jun-15 09:34:22

Ah, see what you mean! I would like to wear something on my head (knotted hanky maybe?!) - saucer fascinator perhaps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now