Talk

Advanced search

Sodding hairdresser gave me a farking Rachel cut aaaaaargh

(24 Posts)
teawamutu Sat 06-Jun-15 15:31:14

I have just below shoulder-length, exceptionally thick hair. All I've ever wanted is nice swishy hair that hangs tidily. Every hairdresser I've ever had has talked me into layers as being the only way to control it.

I HATE LAYERS. I'm shit at blowdrying and I can't control it so it just sticks out everywhere. My last hairdresser nearly got it (it was a bit layer-y but some were in the middle so not seen). He moved away so I'm trying new woman.

Explained my hatred of layers and my desire for single length hair. She agreed, but said she'd just 'tidy them up a bit'. SHE HAS RE-CUT THEM IN. Including extending the shorter bits at the sides of my face so they're a couple of inches thick.

I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT, why do they always fucking do this? sad

Zorion Sat 06-Jun-15 15:41:23

Oh OP hmm This happened to me exactly a year ago (so scarred I was that the date is ingrained in my brain). I was ruined. I went back in tears (very unlike me) and complained a lot. The manager tried cutting it again but you can't exactly put hair back can you.... On February 1st this year it had grown about 4 inches and so it could be styled a bit... The manager cut it again (very well) and now, a year on, it looks nice. This was at Toni & guy. Definitely go back and let them know how you're feeling.

teawamutu Sat 06-Jun-15 15:47:44

Thanks for the sympathy. I'm not going to go back because (a) it was a couple of days ago, and it's only now I've washed and dried it myself (and caught sight of a Friends re-run) that I've realised what she's done (b) she'll argue that I agreed to it and (c) I'm not letting the hair butcher anywhere near me ever again. I shall wail and fume in peace and wear it up for months til it's grown back enough.

But seriously, it MUST be possible to have really thick hair with a one-length top layer, mustn't it? Is there anyone out there who speaks hair and can tell me how to ask for what I want?

fiveacres Sat 06-Jun-15 15:51:19

I think you just have to be REALLY firm about NO LAYERS - and I sympathise. Luckily my hairdresser is great and always says how nice it is to have a simple cut!

Greengardenpixie Sat 06-Jun-15 16:01:38

You can have it thinned and not layers cut. Go to a really good hairdresser that is modern. I live in Scotland and go to the rainbow rooms. All of the hairdressers seem really in tune with hair today and part of the appointment includeds a consultation. I know plenty of people with really thick hair and no layers.

Greengardenpixie Sat 06-Jun-15 16:02:34

I think whats wrong with hairdressers is they get stuck in a rut and are afraid to veer away from what they know. More modern hairdressers are introduced to techniques that will help and new products.

BehindEveryCloud Sat 06-Jun-15 16:40:58

My hair is really thick and I am currently sitting at the hairdressers after many months... My last cut was horrendous, this current hairdresser was confused when looking at it.

Getting hair coloured so will be here for a while but in meantime will be watching this thread for tips before it's time for chopping.

Izzy24 Sat 06-Jun-15 16:44:37

They just will not hear you say no layers. I've been in despair for exactly the same reason .

I just don't get it.

Sorry, nothing useful to add!

Except shouting maybe ....

Dowser Sat 06-Jun-15 19:40:29

Would hate to have layers in my hair. Im a lazy mare and they needs lot of blow drying to give them that lovely salon swish and bounce.

Hope it grows fast op. be thankful for thick hair. I count every one of mine and I grieve over every one I find wrapped around the brush.

Donthate Sun 07-Jun-15 09:22:59

You need to have it thinned underneath and keep the length on top. I sympathise OP I once asked for a Rachel (when the cut was all the rage). She had obviously never sen friends because I got a very short bob that was shaved at the back. shock

teawamutu Sun 07-Jun-15 09:48:05

It's actually Rachel with a hint of Charlie's Angel flick at the ends <bitter>

Honestly, it's like I have two different haircuts. Why would you do this? Why?

And I can't risk getting a re cut for a bit because the only current saving grace is that it's long enough to tie backsad

I'm going to tell the next hair dresser that if they layer, I'll sue...

Tapasfairy Sun 07-Jun-15 09:58:15

I have super thick hair. ( just like Kate m) Layers do not work for me.

The secret is to let it dry naturally but twisted in knots. So I get a soft wave. If I want it straight it's an hour of blow drying.

If my hair hasn't got the weight it will not hang properly. < this needs to be repeated to your hairdresser. Along with I don't mind a couple of very chunky sections around the front to frame my face but they must be longer than my chin. I do. Not want a feathery layer.

Watch her like a hawk and keep muttering no layers.

SanityClause Sun 07-Jun-15 09:59:13

I have thick hair, and it is cut in a straight bob, with no layers. It can be styled in a very classic bob style, of course, with the ends turned under, but also in a more informal style, which is what I prefer.

Can you find a picture of what you like? That can help, although often hairdressers don't really believe you, even then.

Penfold007 Sun 07-Jun-15 10:11:06

OP I feel your pain. I have a lot of fine and rod straight hair, layers are my worst nightmare. A hairdresser did similar to me despite me saying no. I had to have it recut into a short one length bob, it's now way past my shoulders but I dont trust anyone with scissors

TyrannosaurusBex Sun 07-Jun-15 10:18:37

I nipped into a hair salon two days ago for a quick trim before I go on holiday tomorrow. My one-length shoulder-length hair has been reduced to a (barely) jaw-length layered abomination. I'm a wash and go girl(and said so), and now I have to spend ages blow-drying and trying to make the ends curl, as when it dries naturally it's all different lengths.

I asked for a couple of inches off. I'm gutted. I feel your pain, OP.

DosDuchas Sun 07-Jun-15 10:19:31

H haven't we had this thread already

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 07-Jun-15 10:24:47

Tapas, what are these knots of which you speak? I'm a seasoned blowdrier but would like to avoid it in hot weather without looking unfinished.

Dowser Sun 07-Jun-15 10:26:02

I'm just wondering what you say to them.

I have the same hairdresser and same style, just an inch off the ends.

If you go to a salon and said I want an inch off the ends...surely they can't misunderstand that.

teawamutu Sun 07-Jun-15 11:05:35

I said I want it to look more one haircut and I don't really like layers and I'm incompetent at styling.

And then she gave me the haircut she wanted to give me.

Izzy24 Sun 07-Jun-15 17:33:21

Exactly this - the style SHE wanted to give you.

Dowser - it doesn't seem to matter what you say - they do what THEY want to do!

chibi Sun 07-Jun-15 17:36:50

I feel you pain, I was racheled a few weeks ago

Everything gets more boring as time goes by, I no longer give a crap about my hair,and it is growing out, so eh

It will pass, it blows for now though

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sun 07-Jun-15 17:56:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yazzy85 Mon 08-Jun-15 16:24:01

I think its the way they add in the layers through the hair, adds volume but its not the best for thick hair. I have very thick hair and have to avoid lots of layers in the back, just a few below chin length at the front only.

cuntycowfacemonkey Mon 08-Jun-15 21:32:15

Think I may have narrowly missed a "rachel" cut this week. Have very thick hair and have been growing it out. Hairdressers asked if I wanted some short layers and I said no apart from some at the front. She looked really twitchy about it though and we agreed on just thinning it.

Maybe it's thing at the minute?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now